Vermeer SC50TX engine problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter Engel

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here. Name is Pete. I'm trying to help my brother with his Vermeer SC50TX stump cutter. He bought the machine new and has had a series of problem with it. I'm an auto mechanic and have helped him maintain and repair the machine.
The latest problem is that the engine fires, runs for maybe 10 seconds, and then dies. Over and over. It does have good fuel and it's reaching the injection pump. It seems to me that the computer is finding something wrong as soon as the engine starts and therefore shuts it down.
If this forum isn't the place for such a discussion and you know of the right place please let me know.
The nearest service center is over an hour away and we'd like to avoid 4 trips there if possible. Location is SE PA.

Try looking at electrical earthing problems. A common problem with Vermeer machines. 30 minutes for an auto electrician and my problems solved. Hope this helps.

Bullseye, thanks for that link. AFAIK my brother didn't run the machine out of fuel prior to the problem but I'll look into it.
Also, as mentioned in that post I did have to do the clutch/pressure plate replacement on my brother's machine. It was a mess. The Vermeer dealer didn't believe that his machine had the 3 finger pressure plate. Said that only the very early SC50s had that setup. I don't know when my brother's machine was built but the serial number ends in 000460.PB200033.JPG

kiwi, thanks for the reply. I have the service manual with wiring diagrams so that should help. As I mentioned, my brother has had problems with this machine and some were electrical. I diagnosed a bad autosweep control module when the diagnostic LED behavior was nothing like described in that manual. Not a cheap part!

Back