Video of my Mac 35 gear drive

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the westspartan

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Here is a video of my Mac 35. I have had it for a few years and just got it running last week. I inherited this saw from my grandpa. It was bought in 1957 or 58. It is a pretty neat old saw. It is a gear drive. It is only 54cc and it has 1/2 inch pitch chain. The McCulloch bar and Carlton chain are pretty mint for their age. It is slow but when you dog it in, it really eats for a 54cc saw.

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid887.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fac77%2Fdezarn12%2FDSCN7859.mp4">

Yes those saws are unique, thanks for sharing.

I had one sometime back with a clearing saw attachment on it and ended up sending it to some old fart in New Mexico to put in his museum.

Least it went to a good home.

You know Dan..we missed an opportunity! Compare that old 54cc Mac with a modern 50cc class saw in big diameter hard wood..you have to bring it down next time as well! And folks it is a good running old saw. It also appeared to cut fast enough to be a practical saw. Nice old saw! I think someone had said those were the "Homeowner" saws of their time? That means the saws in its target market now are those Poulan's and cheap Husqvarna's.

You know Dan..we missed an opportunity! Compare that old 54cc Mac with a modern 50cc class saw in big diameter hard wood..you have to bring it down next time as well! And folks it is a good running old saw. It also appeared to cut fast enough to be a practical saw. Nice old saw! I think someone had said those were the "Homeowner" saws of their time? That means the saws in its target market now are those Poulan's and cheap Husqvarna's.

It would be cool to put it in some bigger wood. The specs say it will pull a 24" bar. That's a lot of bar for a 54cc saw. I'll definitely bring it next time, it has become one of my favorites partly because of sentimental value, but also because it runs well and is kinda weird. One of the cool things that I got with that saw is an old Oregon file guide and round file for the 1/2" chain. It was sitting right there with my grandpa's old tools, clean and organized!

I believe that it was marketed as a general purpose saw.

Maccat-4.jpg

There were several attachements for the 33/35 models as well, brush cutter, tree auger, ice auger.

In it day it was a very popular saw, so much so that the local McCulloch dealer had a few left overs that he forgot about. My older brother picked up the last one a couple of years ago.

attachment.php

For some reason he is unwilling to fuel it up and take it to the woods...

Mark

There were several attachements for the 33/35 models as well, brush cutter, tree auger, ice auger.

In it day it was a very popular saw, so much so that the local McCulloch dealer had a few left overs that he forgot about. My older brother picked up the last one a couple of years ago.

attachment.php

For some reason he is unwilling to fuel it up and take it to the woods...

Mark

Red Green is your brother? Do him a favor and sneak it out just to make sure it runs - before the warranty runs out.

Sweet saw.

As I recall, the 35 made an appearance in Spencers Mountain - when the tree fell on Henry Fonda and his father.

Latest posts

Back