video of predator

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, that's the one from ESPN II. I love when the exhaust blows the hat off the unsuspecting guy in back. I have it in multiple formats, the smallest of which is about 600KB. If anyone wants it, send me a PM with your email address and I'll send it to you.

now if only that saw was light enough to be used by one person.....:D

The ESPN2 video shows the best of our sawmen, on the video in order is my Stihl 046 which Dennis built for me. Man I love that saw.

Next is the V-twin Harley (two time winner in Harley Cycle shows)

After that is the Nitrous V6 that Hotsaw Bill owns. (Hotsaw Bill is building a V8 for next year)

Then Bill and I pick up the Predator (blow a hat off) and show off a bit.

Then to the split screen shot, Predator verse Stihl 088KD....The Predator is being run by Rotax and Greg, the 088 is a Ken Dunn stock appearing hotsaw running a Art Martin race-chain with John Lambert at the helm.

On the last shot of the Predator and 088 the log was 30" although we did have to cut the sides so Lamberts short bar could reach through the log... take notice how fast even a woods saw can be, Sorry though Ken...the Predator is faster.

I showed that vid to a couple of guys this weekend, they were impressed:D

Rotax have you thought about builing an all aluminum engine, like a modern LS1 chevy or an aluminum big block?

You could have 100 more hp with less weight easily

Husky,
I don't think you're going to get much lighter than that 215 CID aluminum block. It's one of the smallest and lightest small block V8's ever made. Most of the components in that thing are modern, lightweight aftermarket pieces anyway. If he's got, say 100 lbs. of bar, chassis, etc. hanging on the basic engine, that puts its weight at about 400 lb. Pretty good power to weight ratio. More power isn't what is needed from what I've seen, watching it in person. The things got plenty of power, just not enough bite. It barely slows down in the wood. What's really needed is a way to get more bite without the added friction of the front of the saw slamming into the log as it tries to pull itself forward when the chain hits the wood. No two guys are capable of holding the thing back away from the log. Just my 2 cents.

You can check out the predator thread and he explains about what motor is used and how all, or most of it is built. I hope someone else has that video saved because the guy who has it on the server I listed will be taking it off pretty soon, so if someone else has it on theirs maybe they can list it again. FYI The 690 cc liquid cooled rotax I am trying to put together has hit too many problems with the cooling system and I am afraid I will be abandoning it for a <500 cc air cooled engine. Cheers, John

As I said before, I can mail it out to anyone here, but hopefully I will soon finish up my own personal web site where I can post this stuff so anyone can get to it. I have the original video that Robert gave me that I copied into my computer. I can make VHS or similar copies as required, as well as digital ones in any number of formats.

Back