Welded mufflers?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John in MA

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I was just looking around at my various saws and started thinking. How many companies currently use mufflers that are welded closed and can't be modified (without plasma cutter)? The ones I have are a real pain in the rear end even to clean.

my 136 husky has a 2 piece muffler (this is the smallest saw husky makes), which models dont apart from the 372, confused:

Last edited:
I'm seeing more and more of them welded. Unless they get more determined about the welding, It really isn't a big deal to get around; just make a saw cut and then mig it back when you are done.

You could also saw it in two and retain the back end, a fabricate you a new front.

I really like the old ones. A few years ago, your basic muffler was just a two-peice design held together by the mouning bolts. I suppose it was in the '70s they started getting all creative.

Don't have a MIG or a TIG yet. I do have a low-current arc welder that should be able to do sheetmetal once I work on my technique.

yeah, stick welding that kind of stuff sucks! I would even try with my welding skills but I'd feel comfortable about doing a good job with a TIG. In half the time probably too..:p

Latest posts

Back