Well... guess I got me first Wild Thingy...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

promac850

formerly promac610
Reaction score
Apparently my uncle's Wild Thingy (no, not that one, the other one with the engine on it) has a bad oiler. He ended up buying a new cheapo Craftsman (Poulan) since he doesn't do very much cutting.

He says the Wild Thing runs fine, but the oiler quit working. Guess it's time to introduce some kerosene (yay, gonna have to buy some kero!) and see if that clears it up. I'll soak the oiler for the PM850 in a jar of the stuff as well to see if I can't save it without extreme measures (surgery involving cutting it open, cleaning it, and epoxying it back together)

No pics just yet... I'll try to remember to get them up tomorrow. It's quite clean and well taken care of. He said that the guy that he brought it to (Husky dealer/service) said "Get that piece of #### outta here." when my uncle brought it in.

I'll fix it up (including port work and a muff mod...) and use it for that pesky pruning trees while sitting on a branch work.

No, I am not going to even start on it (other than putting kero in the bar oil tank and running it to see if it'll clear up, can do that while paint dries on some 790 parts and while welds cool on the Maxima over axle piece and tailpipe that I have to fab since no one sells one for the wagon)

And got another thing I gotta put together for some folks here... something about some kind of adjuster screw... ;) Haven't forgot about that! I think I figured out how I'm going to make the process go fairly quick and give good quality and results... that's part of the reason why ya'll have been waiting so long. Need time for the CAD brain to mull over an idea...

... am I babbling too much?

I was at TSC this weekend, they were having a sidewalk sale. Several Wild things sitting out front, was think of picking one up just because. Then my four year old daughter told me to buy one because it was pretty... so I still don't own one.

I gotta admit they're much more respectable looking in Craftsman gray. It's just a little hard to take seriously dressed up like that......

you better watch it,, sawtroll will want to buy it for his collection:msp_biggrin::msp_biggrin::msp_biggrin:

You can try the Kerosene, but more than likely the gear is stripped out on the oiler. It's pretty easy to get to, and there are some videos on youtube on how to get the clutch off. You don't need the "special tool: I used a small pair of vice grips, and a screwdriver. I put an old boot lace down the cylinder to act as a piston stop, and it worked fine. You could probably put a couple nails through a piece of 2x4, and have that work for a clutch tool.

This guy walks you through it pretty well.

HOW TO Remove Clutch & Sprocket on Poulan 2150 Chainsaw - YouTube

I have an oiler on the way from ebay, since no one seems to stock those things.

Just for giggles, I oiled up the bar with a oil can, and tried it out. It's a pretty zippy little saw. I can't complain too much. :)

2 1/4" bolts on 1" centers in a chunk of something-or-other - now you have a Poulan clutch tool.

Those oilers are available @ poulanpro.com, then select "order parts on-line" at the bottom right. They are fairly easy to replace, and I think worth the cost of a few bucks if the rest of the saw functions properly.

Slightly off topic, but what should I put on the roller bearing in the clutch? Grease? motor oil? It was a bit stiff on mine, so I put some 10W30 on it to at least free it up.

I was at TSC this weekend, they were having a sidewalk sale. Several Wild things sitting out front, was think of picking one up just because. Then my four year old daughter told me to buy one because it was pretty... so I still don't own one.

They run pretty good, just don't have any antivibe. The poulan pros with the antivibe are better saws, but they cost more.

Now you had a perfect opportunity to really please your daughter and get her interested in saws for later in life.

Slightly off topic, but what should I put on the roller bearing in the clutch? Grease? motor oil? It was a bit stiff on mine, so I put some 10W30 on it to at least free it up.

Car grease, white lithium grease, whatever. Buy that expensive "chainsaw" bar sprocket grease, you get to pay more because it is for "chainsaws" and in a little tube.

My routine is, if a clutch comes off, spray clean the bearing and grease it then, other than that, I am sort of cavalier about it. I rotate saws around so no one saw gets used all that much, the ones that do get more frequent normal maintenance.

There's an oiler pump assembly then the gear drive on the crankshaft is this little spring looking thing. It is critical the coils on this spring are spaced correctly for the oiler gear to grab and spin. They make a toolfor this, but you can use a small flatblade screwdriver and your mark I eyeballs to make sure the spacing is good. Just match them both up, you'll see it when you take it off. The whole thing, including the pickup line and filter, comes out real easy, then you can clean it all well and reassemble or replace parts if needed. You won't know until you get it out what you might need.

There's an oiler pump assembly then the gear drive on the crankshaft is this little spring looking thing. It is critical the coils on this spring are spaced correctly for the oiler gear to grab and spin. They make a toolfor this, but you can use a small flatblade screwdriver and your mark I eyeballs to make sure the spacing is good. Just match them both up, you'll see it when you take it off. The whole thing, including the pickup line and filter, comes out real easy, then you can clean it all well and reassemble or replace parts if needed. You won't know until you get it out what you might need.

Is it ok to just reuse the old coil spring if it looks ok? I think mine failed because the oil gummed up, and prevented the pump from turning properly.

Is it ok to just reuse the old coil spring if it looks ok? I think mine failed because the oil gummed up, and prevented the pump from turning properly.

I have, yes. Like you found out, they just get gunked up and then misaligned. Sometimes though the gear in the oiler assembly is worn out, and it doesn't seem to take much either.

Before you take it apart, you can use some old mix fuel (or whatever ya want, clean gas, diesel, kero) and slosh it around in there several times and dump it out to get the oil tank clean. Dirt, saw dust crud, etc gets in there.

The whole kit is like 12 bucks or something for all new. I've done it both ways, new kit, or clean what is there.

The cheap poulans are just the easiest things to work on, plenty of new parts and junker saws for used parts out there. And they cut just fine in good working order.

I have, yes. Like you found out, they just get gunked up and then misaligned. Sometimes though the gear in the oiler assembly is worn out, and it doesn't seem to take much either.

Before you take it apart, you can use some old mix fuel (or whatever ya want, clean gas, diesel, kero) and slosh it around in there several times and dump it out to get the oil tank clean. Dirt, saw dust crud, etc gets in there.

The whole kit is like 12 bucks or something for all new. I've done it both ways, new kit, or clean what is there.

The cheap poulans are just the easiest things to work on, plenty of new parts and junker saws for used parts out there. And they cut just fine in good working order.

Thanks, I'll leave the spring alone if it looks ok. Cleaning out the tank is a good suggestion, although I did just fill it up with bar oil.
A new kit should be here this week. I can't wait to try it out with a working oiler and a sharp chain. I suspect, I might use it quite a bit for smaller wood. :hmm3grin2orange:

Thanks, I'll leave the spring alone if it looks ok. Cleaning out the tank is a good suggestion, although I did just fill it up with bar oil.
A new kit should be here this week. I can't wait to try it out with a working oiler and a sharp chain. I suspect, I might use it quite a bit for smaller wood. :hmm3grin2orange:

Ya, you will see it readily with that coil spring gear. The coils on some I looked at got smooshed together, not proper spacing to line up with the oil pump gear. A little readjustment, back to working good.

They run pretty good, just don't have any antivibe. The poulan pros with the antivibe are better saws, but they cost more.
Quite a few of the Craftsman versions had A/V. They don't have the chromed cylinder, but no biggie. They go pretty reasonable on eBay. I started off with the non-A/V version and ran that for years, and I always liked the direct feeling. After I scored the cylinder I put one together from an A/V version, and I have come to like that much better. It's a good spring suspended A/V system and you can really see it working in the cut. There are quite a few parts differences between the two, having to do with throttle and choke linkages.

Latest posts

Back