what is about this Piston (036) ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camel

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi,
me again.....what Do you think about this Piston of my 036?
Is it good to be assembled again or is it trash.
I hope the Pictures make it possible to see.
Most of the Marks are only optical but you are able to feel some with the fingernails. What happens if it is bad an I build it in with new Pistonrings....is it decreasing the Power or is it no good for long?

What does it say when the Muffler-Port is bad and the other one (carburator) is much better?
Dirty airfilter?

Thx

picture shows the muffler-Port.

pis.jpg

If the exhaust port is only thing scared, then it ran too lean. If the intake or entire piston is scored then it was prolly straight gas.

Hi Camel,The small scratches in the piston can be smoothed using fine sand paper or emory cloth.Your big concen is the condition of the bore,if no scaring,galling or other damage,check the piston to wall clearance.If the bore is clean,round and in good condition, the clearance is within tolerance(check with you Stihl dealer),I think you could reuse the piston.If the bore of the cylinder is bad,replace both cylinder and piston/rings.Why did you take it apart?I would suggest you talk to your Stihl service man for the specifics concening your model.Good Luck.

i am rebuilding the complete Saw, change everything what is in bad condition....
The Bore is 1A, verry good condition, no scratches, you still see the Marks from Honing...

piston

Take the piston and insert it skirt down into the bore. Should not have any large amount of sideways play.
Turn piston over and insert it top first. Put you finger over the sparkplug hole and let the piston drop. It should take 3 to 4 seconds to get to bottom. If it passes both tests, it will be OK. If no to either one, get a new one.
Another un-scientific method that never fails me.

nice test....i will try in the Evening. First thing i know...there is no big sideway Play, i tested it Yesterday.

Cool Test and cool result :)
3 Times tested & 5 seconds !
I think, i will polish it and return it to the Saw.
Thx a lot !

Latest posts

Back