What to do with Rotten Hollow Logs -

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrokenToys

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
One day cutting down some of the Sandy storm damage across the street from my house I get a on-looker who decided to come over and say hi. Not sure what his deal is [i'm allowed to cut there so permission wasn't an issue] I shut down the saw and we get to talking. He asks me if I have any rotted out hollow logs. I kind of give him the sideways dog head tilt and say "umm, i usually throw them away at the landfill" and he goes and gives me his phone number and says if I get any more to give him a call. I'm thinking "huh" so I kindly take his number and say thanks and we part ways.
Second tree in to cutting, and hey..it's all hollow! I proceed to cut the trunk into 18" pieces [they were about 18-24" round], take them home and blow out the centers with my leaf blower .. and give the guy a call thinking "well, here's his rotten hollow logs".
I load the 8 logs onto my trailer; the guy calls me back and within 15 minutes here he comes with a little trailer, we put the logs on his trailer; and he proceeds to give me 80 bucks and 6 bottles of 2006 reserve cabarnet sauvignon.

Pretty good deal methinks. Wife got her wine; I got gas money ... and the guy got his hollow logs. He told me he particle blasts or something to the inside, throws some shellac on them..and makes some good money selling them to the city folk who invade the east end every summer and autumn. :msp_biggrin:

Pretty good deal methinks. Wife got her wine; I got gas money ... and the guy got his hollow logs. He told me he particle blasts or something to the inside, throws some shellac on them..and makes some good money selling them to the city folk who invade the east end every summer and autumn. :msp_biggrin:

You can sell anything to touristas. ;o)

Some people have no regard for the value of the dollars in their pockets. The rest of us just toss or burnpile the stuff, who knew?

They make great chiminea's, And work well as that sweedish candle thing. I like to use them if we are boiling,lobsta,corn. potato, anything that takes alot of water. Boils them fast and makes a great flame thrower.

Hollow log sections can be used for wild bird and other animal housing. There was a neighbor where we grew up who made owl houses with 'em. Cap top and bottom, bore a hole in the side.

I saw someone on CL looking for them. Rips a wide slot lengthwise, except for a few inches at each end. Makes rustic planters out of them.

My neighbor is an honest to God artist. She planted some flowers in a rotten part of a hornbeam tree. Eventually, every time there was a stiff wind, branches would fall, so she wanted it taken down. When we did, we thought it would be nice to save her "planter".

attachment.php

After a few days, she decided she wanted it down to the ground, so now it sits on my patio...plant and all.

Hollow log sections can be used for wild bird and other animal housing. There was a neighbor where we grew up who made owl houses with 'em. Cap top and bottom, bore a hole in the side.

I have talked the owner into leaving a short hollow log STANDING, with or with out a few live limbs, as wildlife habitat. This "risk mitigation pruning" can be a great way for a client to retain part of a big tree that hey valued but which has become too hazardous. A fat, short old tree is still a great visual accent (if you don't look up too high).

"Wildlife trees" don't just have to be in green belts or campgrounds (and there should be more in those places) :clap:

View attachment 266801View attachment 266803View attachment 266804

Some of the whitewater guys I hang out with make blow logs out of them.

Hell or Highwater blow log on Vimeo

These guys are mostly from arkansas. And while I consider it my duty to mercilessly tease them because they are from arkansas, I do not have to, I think the vid speaks for itself.

I have a couple that are drying for parties in the winter.

Dan

Latest posts

Back