Whats your choice?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
whats your choice

me i would buy another 46 got 3 already, had one of them 372s once, my brotherin law talked me into buying one , had trouble with it from day one, but i do know alotof people that do have good luck with them, so they can't be that bad.
But the 46 , iv'e never had alick of trouble out of them .

I prefer the Husky because I believe you get more performance per dollar. The 372XP will make as much power as the 046 with some simple muffler mods. Both are fine saws and should last a long time

Although I'm more of a Stihl fan, I'd have to consider the local dealers before plunking down my hard-earned $$$. Parts (and service) availability would be one of my highest priorities. If you have to mail-order a new air filter or A-V mount every time you need one, you have a lot of down time on the saw. Real nice to pop into the local dealer when you need a part.
I have an excellent Stihl dealer and 3 other Stihl dealers very close to me. Most Husky dealers here either quit selling them in the last few years or are horrible shops. I'd be hard pressed to buy a Husky without a dealer network.
But if you are in an area not represented by either dealer and planned on buying EVERYTHING online, you'd have to get Husky. Stihl has no online sales allowed, we've discussed the pros and cons of that to death.

I have 2 372's both modified. One still has a stock muffler. It has worked perfectly for 1.5 years, turns close to 15000 rpm with absolutley no problems. The Walkerized one will likely cut with my dual port muffler 066. Going to switch mufflers and retest the saws, i'll bet the Madsen's power tuned one will be faster than the Walkerized. Then I'll open up the other muffler.Great saws. Better antivib with steel springs, better filtration, plenty of longevity contrary to what some say. And lighter than Stihl, important for everyone, especially climbers. I still run 044's , not 046's. The current 046's have a way too small muffler port, to meet EPA specs. This robs power, and creates heat which will kill a saw eventually. Open up that muffler and the power will surely pop up. A stock 046 is rated more power than a 372, in fact it has one of the best pwr to weight ratios ever.

I just did a sloppy job of opening up an old 036, and it cut over 20% faster.

I have an 046 and would recommend it to anyone, awesome saw with an 18" bar on it. Otherwise it perfectly balances out with a 24" bar.

Originally posted by rbtree

I just did a sloppy job of opening up an old 036, and it cut over 20% faster.
I just did the same to mine, I havent had a chance to test it yet, I hope it helps it out some on the power. but the most concern was to get the heat out and save the life of the saw.

Hi Insert, I know it wasn`t part of your question, but have you considered other makes and models? If there is a Dolmar dealer in your area, check out the PS7900. It`s about the same money as the 046, $675 here, with all the power yet it weighs about as much as the 372 and is very nicely balanced. Very smooth also and has all the features of a modern saw like "Turbo type" filtration, tooless filter access, side chain adjustment, HUGE dogs standard, and did I say excellent anti-vibe. I test drove one yesterday and I am very impressed. For anyone with decent dealer access, it`s worth a look. I`ll be very surprised if this doesn`t become an extremely popular model, I think the only thing holding it back is the scarecity of Dolmar dealers.

The feedback I get from customers is; the 372 Husky / 2171 Jonsered handles nicer, runs smoother. If you keep a saw sharp, and keep the rpm's up, you will like the Electroluxs, if you force a saw to cut, you may be better off with the Stihl.

If you check the specs on the saws you listed,I believe the 046 is a larger saw.(76cc vrs71 cc's).If the price is the same,I'd go with the Stihl.They are both top level pro saws.However, if you asked between an 044 an the 372 I would pick the Husky.Happy hunting!

372 vs 046

I always wondered why the 372 is usually compared to the 046 when it compares directly to the 044? Is it because the 372 will smoke the 044 and cut on par with the larger 046?

daveb,

yep

Jokers,

Awesome, I've been longing hear of someone seeing/trying/ using the PS7900. It would seem to be the best stock saw ever, based on specs anyhow..

My next saw is going to be the 962C Efco, then the Dolmar. Now if I can figger out how to get it wholesale as I somehow managed the Efco.

choice???

That's a tough one. I started with Stihls. I've run a Husky 272 alot this summer ( belongs to a guy I occasionally work for ) and if the 372 runs like that 272 then it is one ballsy saw. Lately I'm using a Shindaiwa 757 ( Got the powerhead for $500 ). It's a good saw I like it alot. It is the same size as a 372. Rich.

Insert, in response, a good point was brought up. You are not comparing equal saws. A 372 is the same size as an 044, not an 046. I have a W372XPW, and I like it very much. Stihls seem very impersonal to me. One of my buddies has an 044, no problems, likes it alot, but likes the feel and smoothness of a 372. I also know another pro logger that ran 046s and 044s and had to put cranks in them on a regular basis. Switched to 372s and hasn't had any problems. I'm not saying one way or the other, just stating fact. I have also heard of crank problems on the 372, anyone else?

Earache, like Dave B said, the 372 nearly cuts with the 046, it`s almost an indescernable difference in my experience with the 046 having a little more torque. It`s so little a difference that I don`t see where the added weight and cost of the 046 is warranted. I remember when the 046 came out it was rated at 5.7hp, not 6, and noone can tell me of anything that Stihl did to jack the hp, maybe just changed their literature. Early 371s had some big end bearing failures, but from what I know it was a relatively small number and in most cases Husky just handed over a new saw. Russ

crank

I have put in 3 046 cranks since they came out. 1 was a factory warranty, 2 others were 4 years old with many hours and no air filter maintenance. Last 2 were the same guy, refuses to look at the air filter. 046 is our main logging saw around here.

i got to test drive the shindawa 757 sunday. i was not at all impressed with the cost or the results. the 757 cut 140 1/2 inches of wood in 60 seconds and the 372xp husky cut 171 3/4 the 038 stihl cut 142 1/2. hard to read my writing but it looks like the 046 was 143 1/2. the 757's air box was bulky. seems like a lot to carry for a 4.5 cubic inch saw. marty

Latest posts

Back