Why does the 441 get such a bad wrap the carb version been great

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I love the 441s both carb with and without screws but they are not for the faint of heart to work on. They are challenging to assemble with many various models and changes, but a great saw and responds with dividends to modifications.

Apparently the case are different between the M-tronic and carb on the flywheel side. The associated parrs would also be different.
As with any model theres also different models of the same saw . Arctic, full Wrap handles, west Coast ,and others.

Like most things....the first time you do one it's difficult. The intake boot and carby linkages are a challenge and the tank/handle is a beatch...other then that it's a good saw. And it's definitely NOT a 440 so people kinda hate that they can't have their ol favorite...
It's "not" a 440 in a good way or bad way?

Both. 441 has better av and air filtration. The power to weight ratio is better on the 044/440. Also the 440 is really reliable and easy to work on.

I've used 441s at work and the m-tronic versions, in particular, left a bad taste in my mouth. They required fairly regular "resets" to even stay running, I remember there being an issue with the carb itself that would keep them from idling correctly. I had a chance to get 2 running 441s for free, but didn't even want to mess with them.

I also thought they were heavy/piggish for there displacement. Weight felt like 460, but the power was only "meh."

Like I said above, the AV and filtration is better on the 441...but a Husky 372xp(even XT) had that too and had the power/weight ratio comparable to a 440. There's a reason why 044s and 372s are legendary and the 441 is not...

I have a Slant fin 10mm 044 that I rebuilt with a BGD and its a great saw, much better than I expected based on what I had gather from threads in forums.
The 441C is flat out a more powerful saw though ,it'll pull a longer bar and when it digs in it doesn't stall the chain, all the while getting better fuel usage.
Alot of the design features the ms441 had are what the "Newer" Stihls of today became .
That being said I certainly wouldn't give one to a tree crew or novice users because of their incredibly complex design and if any issues did arise, no simple solutions would be available. There's also little to no aftermarket support for these models, so that may be a deterrent for some folks.

My 4441c is an M-Tronic with a top end that I rebuilt because the original owner's crew straight gassed it. Then I bought it from him. It took about 15 hours and the service manual tied me in knots. However, it runs fine now and with a 25" bar, it's a dandy saw. Noodle cutting is excellent (never clogs up), so I use it a lot for that. Always starts and runs smoothly, I like this saw.

My 4441c is an M-Tronic with a top end that I rebuilt because the original owner's crew straight gassed it. Then I bought it from him. It took about 15 hours and the service manual tied me in knots. However, it runs fine now and with a 25" bar, it's a dandy saw. Noodle cutting is excellent (never clogs up), so I use it a lot for that. Always starts and runs smoothly, I like this saw.
What was so difficult as far as the rebuild process for you? Just tons of small parts?

What was so difficult as far as the rebuild process for you? Just tons of small parts?
Lots of parts and lousy instructions with dozens of "go back to item ___, which also meant go back to page ___." The service manual is a small nightmare of text and illustrations. The 440 rebuild was a piece of cake compared to the 441c. So was the 362 and every other M-tronic saw that I have worked on.

There is little to nothing "intuitive " about the build of the 441.
It like you can take apart a 044 or 372 and say ,yeah I see what comes next or why they designed it that way . No so much with the ms441, you forget something its probably gonna be a danm near total tear down.

There is little to nothing "intuitive " about the build of the 441.
It like you can take apart a 044 or 372 and say ,yeah I see what comes next or why they designed it that way . No so much with the ms441, you forget something its probably gonna be a danm near total tear down.
Hopefully I don't find that out!!!

Latest posts

Back