wood furnace owners, thermodial settings?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaronmach1

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
guys what are your settings in the thermo dial on your indoor wood furnaces? Currently im at:
90F off, 135F on, 200F limit. I have no idea what is ideal or best for me im trying to figure it out. Is there a good all around setting?

guys what are your settings in the thermo dial on your indoor wood furnaces? Currently im at:
90F off, 135F on, 200F limit. I have no idea what is ideal or best for me im trying to figure it out. Is there a good all around setting?

Flue gas temps and hot air duct temps are two different things. A fan and limit switch does 2 things.It cycles a blower and it has a high limit for over heat. In this case it kills the power to that which is making the heat and it sends the blower to operate continually until the unit cools back down into safe operating temps.

Asking about settings...this should be covered in your owners manual or you should be able to ask the manufacturer.
If neither is available...90 for shut off seems a little low to me..it may cause you to run too much cool air over the heat exchanger. We run ours at 125 degrees F. 135 also seems a little low. For our blower to come on it must get to 150 degrees. Our limit is at 250 degrees.

Hopefully all of your ducting is made of metal....with the proper 18" of clearance for the 1st 6 feet.
With code followed you may see 500-600 degrees in that 1 st 6 feet of ducting in a power outage.
Depending on your wood appliance it may be able to handle those temps.

All Yukon's are UL listed to operate as gravity fed furnace without power. Is yours?

PS...code does allow a clearance reduction system and a unit can be closer if it has been tested to be closer...Yukon's can be within 6"...not 18"

Last edited:
Flue gas temps and hot air duct temps are two different things. A fan and limit switch does 2 things.It cycles a blower and it has a high limit for over heat. In this case it kills the power to that which is making the heat and it sends the blower to operate continually until the unit cools back down into safe operating temps.

Asking about settings...this should be covered in your owners manual or you should be able to ask the manufacturer.
If neither is available...90 for shut off seems a little low to me..it may cause you to run too much cool air over the heat exchanger. We run ours at 125 degrees F. 135 also seems a little low. For our blower to come on it must get to 150 degrees. Our limit is at 250 degrees.

Hopefully all of your ducting is made of metal....with the proper 18" of clearance for the 1st 6 feet.
With code followed you may see 500-600 degrees in that 1 st 6 feet of ducting in a power outage.

All Yukon's are UL listed to operate as gravity fed furnace without power. Is yours?

PS...code does allow a clearance reduction system and a unit can be closer if it has been tested to be closer...Yukon's can be within 6"...not 18"
thanks mr. crappie :hmm3grin2orange:

i set it for off@ 100f and on @150f. limit is still@ 200. i think that is as high at it can go.but i dont have a draft induced blower so it shouldnt matter much.

Keith, what is the clearance code ofter the first six feet?
I have 3" of clearance off the plenum of the stove which in the book it called for 2", I do have one of your heat dumps installed because I have a backdraft damper that will not allow the furnace to gravity heat and have not melted the fusible link yet. My round duct coming out of the plenum is 6" from the floor joist and 7' long before it dumps in the main trunk. My main trunk has 1' clearance for the first 8' but then it is touching the floor joists the rest of the way. The only way to lower the trunk line is to have the furnace reinstalled horizontally,I wish he would have done this to begin with because water got to it over the summer when the basement flooded.

After 6 feet the clearance is 1" until the runs make a 90 degree turn...they then disappear.I've never ever seen a wood burner installed were it is ok to have 2-3 inches of clearance over the hot air plenum.
It sounds like you need to redo your ducting for the 1st 6 feet. Funny you have not burned down your house yet...well not funny...more like weird.

After 6 feet the clearance is 1" until the runs make a 90 degree turn...they then disappear.I've never ever seen a wood burner installed were it is ok to have 2-3 inches of clearance over the hot air plenum.
It sounds like you need to redo your ducting for the 1st 6 feet. Funny you have not burned down your house yet...well not funny...more like weird.

i figuired as much. I may just have to stop burning all together, my joists are only 6' off the floor so I dont have much room to work with. Im getting to the point in my life where I dont like to take chances much anymore. The only thing I could do is remove the feet so the furnace sits directly on the floor but thats only going to gain another 3" so that would give me 6" total clearance.
Would it make a difference if I insulated the plenum with 6" clearance?

i figuired as much. I may just have to stop burning all together, my joists are only 6' off the floor so I dont have much room to work with. Im getting to the point in my life where I dont like to take chances much anymore. The only thing I could do is remove the feet so the furnace sits directly on the floor but thats only going to gain another 3" so that would give me 6" total clearance.
Would it make a difference if I insulated the plenum with 6" clearance?

With those distances you have no options...not good options.
1st off the unit must have been tested to be with 6" to even go there...Yukon did.
2nd there is a clearance reduction system but it would not be enough for you with that other unit...18" divided in half is still 9" or 3" too much.
Sorry.....
Postings suck..call me...lets talk.

With those distances you have no options...not good options.
1st off the unit must have been tested to be with 6" to even go there...Yukon did.
2nd there is a clearance reduction system but it would not be enough for you with that other unit...18" divided in half is still 9" or 3" too much.
Sorry.....
Postings suck..call me...lets talk.

Thanks Keith,
I will call you when I get a chance, I am leaving for work now and work 6pm-6am tonight and tomorrow night so maybe Thur or Fri

Kevin

Just wanted to give a big thanks to Keith for the phone conversation today. To all that think hes just a salesman trying to get you to buy his product , youre wrong. I have an Energy King furnace and he still spent an hour with me on the phone today. Hes a good guy and knows what hes talking about. In my opinion he is a highly valued member to this site.

Thanks again Keith,

Kevin

Just wanted to give a big thanks to Keith for the phone conversation today. To all that think hes just a salesman trying to get you to buy his product , youre wrong. I have an Energy King furnace and he still spent an hour with me on the phone today. Hes a good guy and knows what hes talking about. In my opinion he is a highly valued member to this site.

Thanks again Keith,

Kevin
yes he seems to have a lot of good info to offer.

Keith,
I was looking at my service tag tonight and it says 2" min clearance on it. I am still going to change it like we discussed from round duct to rectangle duct for better airflow and aquire more clearance from the joists. Even with Energy Kings claim to have tested it with a 2" clearance, I am not comfortable with it.

IMG-20120109-00002.jpg

Latest posts

Back