Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve been kicking this idea around in my head for a while now and got some beams, uprights and decking to make it happen. Still need a piece of something (likely junk 3/4” iron pipe) to keep them from spreading but soon they’ll be filled with close to a cord of fire wood each. I’m planning on welding the beams to the uprights and securing the decking somehow along with some junk tin on the uprights to keep the wood from falling out the sides. Still gotta get another beam to cut up and put under as pallet fork pockets. Then make 30 more lol
View attachment 1174599
Bolt a 2x4 horizontally at the top in back and a 2x6 in front to keep from spreading. Nail tin roof on it to keep it dry.

Sorry, forgot to mention, I did remove the relief spring and ball. Both were intact and clean. I even went so far as back blow the valve seat by removing spring/ball and running the splitter for only a second. Oil gushed out of the port. So, I'm left with shimming the spring and seeing if that helps. Still need to find a definitive way to check the pump.
You can also stretch the spring to make it longer.

*edited to delete my potentially unsafe advice*

I agree, but we don't have any bloody Aussie trees here to burn, what's a guy to do 🤷‍♂️.

Got the blueberry stems watered :laugh:.
Looks like you have plenty of room for a lean-to on the garden side ;).
Awesome you have all that insulation :happy:.

They aren't the worse thing with a well done chain, but they have to be very well matched to the saw.
As Mike was saying, a muffler mod and a timing advance goes a long way, and a 390 cylinder really helps!
Stock ms291 with stihl green semi chisel with the safety bumpers ground off in frozen half dead black locust, I'd rather cut with my ported 241, glad I have options.

Dang huskys 😅.

Sweet.
But man that's some ugly wood:lol:.

The lean to is going on the garden side. Went and got conduit today, and a 100 amp breaker for the main box. Almost cried at check out, just under $300.00 for a long sweap 90, tight 90, 50 Foot of conduit and a breaker.
Sorry, forgot to mention, I did remove the relief spring and ball. Both were intact and clean. I even went so far as back blow the valve seat by removing spring/ball and running the splitter for only a second. Oil gushed out of the port. So, I'm left with shimming the spring and seeing if that helps. Still need to find a definitive way to check the pump.
Like I mentioned previously, you need a flow gauge to properly test the pump, or take it to a pump shop. (Should be cheaper then buying a flow gauge.)

You can also stretch the spring to make it longer.

You can check the pump by installing a pressure-rated ball valve where you have the cap on that tee. Start the engine with the valve open and run the oil back into the reservoir. Slowly begin closing off the ball valve and watch your gauge. If you can close it all the way off and not stall the engine then your pump is shot. If you can stall it, make a note of the gauge pressure when it stalls.

If you choose to test the pump this way, be extremely careful.
That's a very unsafe way to test a pump. You never dead head a fixed displacement pump. Banking on the engine to stall out in a 2 stage pump is, also begging for problems. The entire reason for a system relief is because if this very issue. Some things it's fine to bugger rig for testing, anything hydraulic with a fixed displacement pump is unacceptable and dangerous.

That's a very unsafe way to test a pump. You never dead head a fixed displacement pump. Banking on the engine to stall out in a 2 stage pump is, also begging for problems. The entire reason for a system relief is because if this very issue. Some things it's fine to bugger rig for testing, anything hydraulic with a fixed displacement pump is unacceptable and dangerous.
I totally agree. If you read my previous post on the matter that's exactly what I stated.

That said, you absolutely can test it as I described and do it safely. If he doesn't feel comfortable doing so, he doesn't have to do it.

Edited to add: I edited my previous post as it shouldn't have been recommended as it is potentially unsafe and could cause harm to those not skilled or experienced in hydraulic system. Sometimes I don't know when to turn off the troubleshooting part of my brain when it comes to others of unknown skill levels.

Like I mentioned previously, you need a flow gauge to properly test the pump, or take it to a pump shop. (Should be cheaper then buying a flow gauge.)
Sorry, I had forgotten you mentioned that. Checked out flow gauges (meters) and yes, expensive. I'm not disregarding your experience and expertise, but I was working off this video:

Go to 3:00 min. Is this guy full of it. When I did that, I only get 200 psi.
IMG_2900.JPG

The lean to is going on the garden side. Went and got conduit today, and a 100 amp breaker for the main box. Almost cried at check out, just under $300.00 for a long sweap 90, tight 90, 50 Foot of conduit and a breaker.

Shoot. I have a brand new Square D 100 amp breaker here. Used 1 day before we switched to 200 amp service in the house. Been collecting dust here like a lot of other stuff I "might need" someday.

Did more work to the proof of concept wood cages today. Screwed some tin to the sides, put pallet racking beams under them both to be used as fork pockets and put some guide deals on one of them to make stacking easier.
IMG_1175.jpeg

Aforementioned guide deals ….. it don’t need to be purrdy, it just needs to work.
IMG_1173.jpeg

They fit together really nicely !! Going to fill one up with wood and see if the top spreads. If it does I’ll add more bracing.
IMG_1176.jpeg

Most of that cut up pile fit in this one rack. I thought I had more cut up already lol. The rack should hold just shy of a cord.

IMG_1177.jpeg

Picked it up with Bob the S300 skiddy and shoved it over here. It’s gotta be close to 5,400-5,500lbs as the skiddy tips on its face around 6,000lbs and it was dang light in the back end. The racking didn’t spread at all and the proof of concept says it works well !! Now to build another 30 of them to have for sure a years worth of wood in racks lol
IMG_1178.jpeg

Back