Stihl 261cm, I need some help!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihlproincky

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi guys, this is the 261 I posted about a couple weeks ago, got a new piston for it today. This evening I put it back together, everything seems smooth with the p/c, but when I crank it, when it tries to start it "pops" and I mean it pops. It blows smoke out the muffler, seems like really high compression. I've done other rebuilds never had this happen!
What could cause this?
I put a little oil on the p/c could this cause this?

Hi guys, this is the 261 I posted about a couple weeks ago, got a new piston for it today. This evening I put it back together, everything seems smooth with the p/c, but when I crank it, when it tries to start it "pops" and I mean it pops. It blows smoke out the muffler, seems like really high compression. I've done other rebuilds never had this happen!
What could cause this?
OEM piston? Did you measure the squish?

What could cause this?
Well, a little oil won't cause that! Did you apply it or dump it in?

Back