Heres what we are doing this Sunday....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaseyForrest

I am NOT a tree freak.
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Here is the White Oak that Davvyd and I will be slicing up this weekend.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Im going to cut off both ends and get to some unchecked wood. I should end up with 9'6" long boards.

attachment.php

White Oak

Looks good Casey! You and Daavy should have fun with that one. I am going to try some Ash this weekend. What are you using as far as saw/bar/chain combination?

I was in the Detroit airport this afternoon comming from Montreal and it was snowing like crazy!! It is cold down here in Indy. 20's tonight!

Nice, planning on quartersawing any of it? That's a monster. 20 inch, 12ft long... quick and dirty math says that log weighs about 1500 lbs if its still wet oak. You should get well over 200 bd ft out of that one depending on how you slice it. Can't wait to see pics of the inside. You ARE going to take some pics for us, no?

Thanks all.....

Im still up in the air about Quarter sawing this log. If we slice it through and through, we will get enough wood that will naturally be quatersawn for what Dave needs.

Pics...Yes. There will be a few extra hands around to snap allot of pics. Dave is going to be doing some of the milling, so I can get some action shots for my advertising.

woodshop said:
Nice, planning on quartersawing any of it? That's a monster. 20 inch, 12ft long... quick and dirty math says that log weighs about 1500 lbs if its still wet oak. You should get well over 200 bd ft out of that one depending on how you slice it. Can't wait to see pics of the inside. You ARE going to take some pics for us, no?

There is going to be some more clearing at work this winter. I havent walked through and picked out my trees yet, but there is one along-side the road....probably 4' dbh, and straight for 30'....White Oak....Im not sure how Im going to get it out of there. We arent allowed to run saws onsite, and I dont have any way to haul a log that big out....But I WILL find a way!!!

CaseyForrest said:
There is going to be some more clearing at work this winter. I havent walked through and picked out my trees yet, but there is one along-side the road....probably 4' dbh, and straight for 30'....White Oak....Im not sure how Im going to get it out of there. We arent allowed to run saws onsite, and I dont have any way to haul a log that big out....But I WILL find a way!!!

If there is a will, there is a way. Some 4' quater sawn WO slabs would be awesome!:rock:

Casey,
How long since that log has been cut? Can't wait to see the pics!

Looks good! Depending on what time you guys are doing it, I might be able to swing by. Have company in from out of town this weekend, so I'm not sure I'll be able to escape...

We got to find access to a proper truck for some of those big trees you see at work! 48"x30' is quite a log, a bit more than either of our trailers have any business trying to haul!

computeruser said:
Looks good! Depending on what time you guys are doing it, I might be able to swing by. Have company in from out of town this weekend, so I'm not sure I'll be able to escape...

We got to find access to a proper truck for some of those big trees you see at work! 48"x30' is quite a log, a bit more than either of our trailers have any business trying to haul!

We should be starting around 10 or 11....Im sure well be at it for awhile.

Casey,

You must have tolerant neighbors (of the noise). That log will take a few hours. I see you use latex paint to coat the ends as well. I have had good success with that.

Regards,

Ted

Latest posts

Back