Heres what we are doing this Sunday....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, they are very tolerant!!!

I bribe a couple of them with wood, since they are hobby woodworkers.

The Latex has worked well for me too. I pick up whats on the sale table at HD. Colors someone has returned, etc. I usually give it 2 to three generous coats.

Casey,
I wonder why you cut it to length first. I would have milled it first. That would leave more length in case of checking.

I always cut to length first, removing all of the already "checked" ends of the log. If you paint the ends of the log or boards right away, then there should be very little checking.

If there is already checking and it is left, the checking will propagate further into the boards, even after the ends are coated.

Ted

rb_in_va said:
Casey,
I wonder why you cut it to length first. I would have milled it first. That would leave more length in case of checking.

If the log was fresh, I would do that. This log has been on the ground for about 9 months, and was already checked pretty bad. So I cut the ends off to good wood. Its still 1.5' longer than it needs to be, so any further checking can be removed.

Well, here are some pics. The only snag we had...well, two snags....

First one was I didnt get the tip of the bar pinched tight enough, the bolt worked itself out, and the chain started to dig into the mill. Brand new chain....

Second was on the last cut, I touched up the chain...well, it must have put me to even with the rakers. I couldnt get it to bite, and the cut took a LOOOOONG time!!!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

CaseyForrest said:
First one was I didnt get the tip of the bar pinched tight enough, the bolt worked itself out, and the chain started to dig into the mill. Brand new chain....
Nice planks casey... pretty wood, looks like clear top grade stuff. Too bad about rocking your chain. Hate when that happens... I ran my csm into the metal angle iron in the top of one of my chock blocks once. Didn't have a spare chain, spent 15 min sharpening. Then yesterday milling I ran my Ripsaw blade into the metal plate that attaches the guide bar to the log... toast one $18 blade in a heartbeat. Both cases entirely preventable.

I too have neighbors that don't mind a little noise once in a while. They all use my woodshop from time to time, and also I'm the neighbor with the chainsaws when there is minor tree work to do.

Looks good Casey.Remember when I showed you how I ran the tip on mine into the clamp bolt,bet you were thinking about me when you rocked that chain,guess we live and learn.Glad you got it done.
Mark

great pictures Casey,
Thanks so much again for not only the material, the saw, the chains the fuel, but your time and knowledge. I learned a great deal about milling, wood, saws and chains, drying and everything. I can't wait to try my hand at it again.
For everyone else, I will try to get some of the pictures my dad took on tonite. If you can't tell, I am very excited about my first milling experience.
Thanks again Casey.

See Davvyd, I told you that Casey was good people. You learned a whole lot in a very short period of time from someone who has done it before. I had to go in blind, and would have killed for an opportunity like that.

Nice work, Casey. We hooked another one....

Mark

Nice pics

Nice job casey. I had a guy come up one time and watch me mill. He was very excited to learn and its always nice to have help by someone that wants to learn.

bookerdog said:
Nice job casey. I had a guy come up one time and watch me mill. He was very excited to learn and its always nice to have help by someone that wants to learn.
It still amazes me how many people just get amazed when they see a log being sliced into rough boards. It's just something... interesting... to many people. If I had a buck for every person that said "hey thats neat, I thought only a sawmill could do that", I could quit my job and play in my woodshop full time.

woodshop said:
It still amazes me how many people just get amazed when they see a log being sliced into rough boards. It's just something... interesting... to many people.

It is amazing. Just need to figure out a way to charge admission, right?

carvinmark said:
Looks good Casey.Remember when I showed you how I ran the tip on mine into the clamp bolt,bet you were thinking about me when you rocked that chain,guess we live and learn.Glad you got it done.
Mark

LOL...you only rocked a couple teeth, we rocked ALL the teeth!!!

davvyd said:
great pictures Casey,
Thanks so much again for not only the material, the saw, the chains the fuel, but your time and knowledge. I learned a great deal about milling, wood, saws and chains, drying and everything. I can't wait to try my hand at it again.
For everyone else, I will try to get some of the pictures my dad took on tonite. If you can't tell, I am very excited about my first milling experience.
Thanks again Casey.

Not a problem, glad you were able to make it up and try your hand at it....

rb_in_va said:
It is amazing. Just need to figure out a way to charge admission, right?
Well... people DO buy tickets to these tractor and steam shows that have old sawmills go through their paces. When that mill is buzzing through logs, there is always a crowd standing in wonder watching as the steam tractor with huge leather belts and pulleys work the mechanics of the saw, pulling logs past that huge spinning open blade, sawdust flying, boards falling off with each pass... some old geezer with a straw hat working the levers... the smell... the noise... I'm one of those standing there watching in amazement by the way.

oldsaw said:
See Davvyd, I told you that Casey was good people. You learned a whole lot in a very short period of time from someone who has done it before. I had to go in blind, and would have killed for an opportunity like that.

Nice work, Casey. We hooked another one....

Mark

I learned the same way you did!!! I would have loved to have someone show me how to do it right!!!

I do believe we hooked another one too.

aggiewoodbutchr said:
Looks like ya'll had a helluva time.

Did you use your oiler or grandberg ripping chain at all?

I should have used the oiler. That smoke you see in the first picture isnt exhaust!!! I dont have that bar drilled for the oiler, but I am going to.

As for the Grandberg chain....I ditched that idea. I didnt like the way it turned out, and the decrease in cutting time for me wasnt substantial enough to justify modding a chain.

Back