New Project 045 AV Super

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, I've got me a new project. My Dad had a 045 when I was younger. Unfortunately, it found it's way into the landfill. Lakeside sparked my interest with his thread about rebuilding his 056 Mag II. I decided to go with a 045 Super instead. At 87cc it's only 6cc smaller than the 056 Mag II and equal to the 056 Super. If I want I can through the larger 54mm P&C on it. I'd just rather it be an 045 since that's what Dad had. Cheaper too.

Here she is. LINK. Yeah, it's an eBay saw. It doesn't appear to have been abuse too badly and is supposed to have good spark. I'm hoping it doesn't have a spun clutch bearing or any buggered up thread or holes like Lakeside has pointed out.

I plan to give it a good inspection to make sure its worthy of further investment. I plan to totally disassemble her and give her a complete restoration complete with sandblasting and all new baked on paint, and new seals and gaskets. A little porting may find its way into the jug once i get her running good.

I welcome any input or comments as I do this rebuild. BTW, anyone have an IPL or service manual for the 045 and or 056? PM me if you do.

You'll have some bad threads ... time to invest in a timesert kit..

I had to make several "inserts" this weekend out of aluminium rod (holes already too big for timeserts), threaded them then tap out the case, then redrill and retap. Gheez.... time get soaked up real fast...

I just finished scanning all the 056 tech notes from 1982 onwards, Now I need to go back to 1974 with the 045 and some early 056...

p.s. I see you bidding on an 056 :) Use a SNIPER or you're toast if I decide to bid:jester:

p.s. I see you bidding on an 056 :) Use a SNIPER or you're toast if I decide to bid:jester:

Take it away.:greenchainsaw: After talking to Dad today, I decided to just go with the 045. I'm going to wait and see what I've got before bidding on anything else.

Where's the best place to look for timeserts? And what sizes are most of these threads?

Madsen's is one of the few places I've found to buy them. Most are 5mm.

The worst problem is when there's been a helicoil in the hole. When it gets messed up, the hole gets big... never drill out a helicoil - just grab the wire and unwind it.

Ah yes, my very first basket case from almost 5 years ago. (Not your particular saw.) My buddy bought it near new in the early 80s. Toasted a piston/barrel so he replaced it. Burned up another cylinder soon afterwards and so he gave up on it and let it sit a few years. Became mine during a shop cleaning. I found all the case screws had gotten loose, so I split it and replaced the gasket and the top end. The front exhaust on this saw just about made me deaf...seriously. It's why I always wear ear protection around gas equipment.

Chris B.

I got my 045 Super is today. It's in incredible condition after reading all the horor stories from Lakeside. It's nice knowing what to look for though. There isn't one crack on the saw. Only one stripped hole. The one for the upper right mount behind the handle. It's located such that I nut can be put on the back side and won't even need repaired. The paint's not even burnt behind the muffler!

I haven't tested it, but the saw was sold as having a working ignition. It's the Bosch with a two piece flywheel. Someone's going to have to tell my how to set the points. Please:)

Now for the bad part. The piston is toast. It only had 65 psi compression. The rings were frozen in the grooves on the exhaust side. Based on the overall condition of the saw, I bet this thing has been setting for years and used very little. The guy I bought it from bought out a dealer, so it's probably been under a bench for 25 years. Who knows? I also need the air deflector. Didn't know it was missing until I went through Lakeside's thread again tonight. I also have a busted left side handle mount.

Here's my shopping list.
  1. 54mm Piston and rings
  2. Base gasket
  3. Oil Pump Gasket
  4. Crank Seals
  5. Exhaust Gasket
  6. Handle Mount
  7. Carb kit - Tillotson S118A921
  8. Fuel Filter
  9. T27 Replacement Bolts
  10. Orange Stihl Paint

I'd love to get my hands on an IPL and service manual for this saw. I have no idea how to set the points. I'd also love to get an OEM piston and rings. If you've got anything I need, please let me know. I'd love to buy them from you.

cheapstihlsawparts has ONE 54mm OEM piston.. I know.. I looked at it last week.. but they are no longer available so be quick. He also has the Service manual and IPL.

All the other parts except the cylinder base gasket are available from your dealer. I can round up a gasket or two if you are short.

Are you sure it's points?

Yes it has points. I thought "Electronic" meant it didn't have points? Maybe that's a blessing in disguise if the electronic coils are hard to come by and are expensive. I'd love to throw a 56mm jug and piston on it, except I hate to spend a lot of extra dough on it. Anyone have a good 56mm set they'd like to sell? What about the air deflector?

Last edited:
I'd use the OEM... had the Golf, sent it back... a lot heavier than OEM, crude casting, etc... but if that's all you can get, then...

OEM - Hmmm... I might be wrong. All I see now in NOS OEM is 50mm and 52mm..

Last edited:
Yes it has points. I thought "Electronic" meant it didn't have points? Maybe that's a blessing in disguise if the electronic coils are hard to come by and are expensive. I'd love to throw a 56mm jug and piston on it, except I hate to spend a lot of extra dough on it. Anyone have a good 56mm set they'd like to sell? What about the air deflector?

If it's a "restoration", keep it original... and in any case, the 56mm cylinder won't fit... and then there's the muffer.. and the added chance of bearing spin, and...

If you want a 56mm, buy an 056 mag2... as well as your 45S!;)

I have a 54mm P&C coming this way from CA. Much thanks to Adam (Aclarke). The case is now painted. The gas tank, handle/engine shroud, clutch cover, top handle, and muffler have all been sand blasted and are ready for paint. The carb has been disassembled and cleaned. All the small parts on my shopping list have been ordered from the dealer. With any luck I'll get all my parts next week and I'll have a new looking and new running 045 Super. BTW, I ordered a 36" bar with a 33RSF 114 chain. Call me crazy, but I don't really need this saw anyway. Like I mentioned before I'm doing this one as a keep sake since my Dad had one years ago, as well as for a conversion piece, and of course, the WOW factor. I'll try to get some more pics up later.

You're making better progress than me! but.. I did buy one of the very last top covers new from Stihl last week (computer said "no way", but ...)... and I just won a NOS recoil on ebay for $30.95... (like there was anything wrong with the one I rebuilt..). oh yes... I did buy a new stihl 56mm piston... (just because I can);). And.. I did just get Stihl to find one of the orginal handle mount adapters also.

Mine is a labor of love, I can make it run in about an hour, but I've figured that 'cos I do that all day, I'd rather futz with it for months:laugh:

Here's some pics for you. Let me know if they're too big and I'll make them smaller.

158846397-M.jpg

158846407-M.jpg

158846420-M.jpg

158846431-M.jpg

158846446-M.jpg

158846476-M.jpg

158846468-M.jpg

Last edited:
Back