New Project 045 AV Super

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you top-coat the POR-15 or just use it as an undercoat/primer? I didn't think it was UV resistant..

POR-15 is not UV resistant. It must be topcoated.

Eastwood's product is called Rust Encapsulator and it's UV resistant. It's less prep-intensive than POR-15 too.

I've gone through gallons of POR-15 over the years and now use the Eastwood stuff exclusively...

hmmm.. what else is there in the pics not related to the 45 that we can ask about?:jester:

i always look in the background of pictures to see what else is there.

for example, in the RiverRat Comes West thread, there's a pic of you in your woodshop. You've got some nice Japanese saws. I'm jealous - I only have 2 and they're small ones. :bowdown:

But there's not much else in the background of Brad's pics. A DeWalt driver and some expensive phosphoric acid. :biggrinbounce2:

I emailed Stihl. He had no reference to my serial#. But the 045 Super was made from 1977-1980.

I picked up my 36" bar today. Would I be better off with full comp, half skip, or full skip chain? Is the skip chain mainly to help in the power department or for chip clearing?

I've gotten a fair amount more done to the saw. The flywheel side seal is in, gnition installed, replacement piston installed and jug temporarily installed, starter reassembled with Elastostart rope, dawgs mounted, and replacement fan shround installed. BTW, I have spark!

Several of my parts were no longer available from the dealer and I had to order them from Curt Bailey and CheapStihlParts on eBay. Sight glass, clutch-side crank seal, and base gasket. I also bought a set of OEM rings and bar studs. That's going to set back my completion date to at least the end of the week or even early next week. Both guys have been very quick to ship my parts. Since I'm waiting on the clutch side crank seal, there's quite a bit I can't assemble on that side. I'm also not going to install the tank untill everything is installed permanently. I don't want to scratch things up.

Have any of you ever used the orange Stihl paint? It doesn't cover anything at all like the grey. It took at least 10-12 coats to cover bare metal on the engine shround/handle. I finally got it covered and looking like glass. I then threw it in the oven to bake like I do all my metal parts. DON'T DO IT! It wrinkled and blistered. I was absolutely sick. This was about 12:30 in the morning too. I haven't even messed with it. I don't yet know if I'm going to be able to sand it down a little and recoat, or if I'll have to strip it completely. So let my mistake be a lesson for the rest of you. DON'T BAKE THE ORANGE STIHL PAINT!

Yes, this is my lovely wife's oven!
160310300-M.jpg

160310397-M.jpg

160310405-M.jpg

Air filter repaired with JB Weld. It wouldn't take solder.
160310451-M.jpg

160310459-M.jpg

Jug on.
160310476-M.jpg

Muffler, fan shround, and starter installed.
160310538-M.jpg

160310598-M.jpg

Dang brad thats pretty freaking close right there!!!

I temporarily installed the jug without a base gasket since I don't have it yet. My squish is .021". Should I leave it out and put it together with Dirko, or put the gasket in?

Your gonna pic up another .001 with the Dirko but it ought to be good like it is...

What say Ye Lakeside53?????? :rockn: :rockn: :rockn:

Put a gasket in.. keep it stock... not a "hot saw". 21 is too tight on that big piston...

The seal is NLA, but the parts list says to use the one from the 056 which is available.

The orange paint can be baked, but you need to bake each layer... and only on convection...the radient heat will be quickly absorbed by the darker paint.

Nice progress... BTW, you can buy a NEW cylinder shield. Only about $14. I'm dressing mine up with one.....

My side tag now says "MADE in WEST Germany" ;)

Last edited:
I had the same problem on the 056 i just did. The orange is so transparent. The next one I do , Im going to find a primer or paint that is orange ,so when you use the stihl orange It dont take 12 coats to cover . How did you paint the black on the stihl logo on the clutch cover . I didnt do mine yet not sure the best way to do it . BTW your saw is looking good.

Put a gasket in.. keep it stock... not a "hot saw". 21 is too tight on that big piston...

The seal is NLA, but the parts list says to use the one from the 056 which is available.
I have one ordered but just haven't received it yet.

The "dual dogs" are just two of the same and are available - yours looks like the big 056 dog - 1115 664 0501
Is there not a chain catcher that goes between them like I have on my 361?

...How did you paint the black on the stihl logo on the clutch cover . I didnt do mine yet not sure the best way to do it . BTW your saw is looking good.

I use one of those large tipped permanent magic markers. You'll want to dab at it because the solvent in the marker will want to disolve the paint and will cause it to streak. Thanks for the kind words. I'm enjoying it!

Ah, darn good Idea. I was going to attempt it the hard way. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back