The official 261 to 262XP conversion thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spike60

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well, for a lot less than $710........

Someone asked me about what is needed for this upgrade, so I figured I'd post it for everyone. First, here are the parts that would be involved, with part numbers and Husky list prices.

Piston and Cylinder: 503907971 $292
Piston only: 503531171 $84
Muffler: 503555504 $83
Clutch: 503577101 $47
Washer: 503521202 $2
262XP decal: 503619803 $5

261 and 262 use the exact same cylinder; with the only difference being that the 262 uses a flat top piston and the 261 uses a dished piston. So if you have a running 261, only the piston would be necessary here.

The muffler is a big item here. The 261 muffler was VERY restricted. They tried to correct this somewhat for the second year with the addition of the extra exhaust port on the front plate, but it was still not as good as the 262 muffler. The quick fix here is to mod the muffler by opening up those small holes under the side exhaust deflector.

The 262XP clutch is a 3 shoe design with much more contact area to the drum than the 2 shoe clutch on the 261. The washer is needed to prevent the 3 shoe clutch from rubbing on the drum. (The 261 clutch has an offset and doesn't require the washer.)

If you are wondering about the carb, the only real difference is that the 261 had limiter caps. And if you tried to order a 262 carb, it will supercede up to the one with the limiters anyway.

For the most part, you could also do this upgrade to a 257. In one way you would be ahead of the game in that the 257 used the same muffler as the 262XP. You would have the different air filter and the one piece top cover, but this wouldn't affect performance at all. And there should be a lot more 257's out there than 261's.

So, even if you had a toasted 261 or 257, it would be better to spend half of what the guy on fleece-bay did and build your own.:cheers:

Thanks Spike, I have seen a lot of guys wanting to do this conversion.

I have not ran a 261 but from what I understand the gains are substantial

Awesome Conversion.

I did my 261 last September - just 262 piston and cylinder. Wow, what a difference! I retuned the carb but haven't done anything with clutch and muffler.

Al :cheers: :cheers:

spike what if i wanted to turn my 262 into a 261 ????

Well, in your case I would strongly reccomend that you pour some muratic acid down the spark plug hole so you can dish out the piston. While the acid is working, set it out behind the garage until some mud wasps build a nest in the muffler, then you'll be all set!

How were you home working on your 3rd post in 4 months last night? Didn't you go to the game?

If you start with a 257, you will also need the intake block, as the impulse holes on the 261/262XP are in a different location than the 257.

Yeah, I forgot about that. The 262/262 block is 503544161 and the 257 is 503832502. The gaskets are probably different also, but I didn't check.

Thanks Spike, I have seen a lot of guys wanting to do this conversion.

I have not ran a 261 but from what I understand the gains are substantial

Yes, very cool write-up by Spike!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

The gains should be at least .8hp according to specs - so pretty substantiel, yes.

I got an after market 262 piston from Bailey's for my xp. It was flat topped and from Italy. It looked real good. I just smoothed out the transfer openings at the pin boss. Saw runs good but not broken in as yet.........Bob

I got an after market 262 piston from Bailey's for my xp. It was flat topped and from Italy. It looked real good. I just smoothed out the transfer openings at the pin boss. Saw runs good but not broken in as yet.........Bob

was it a full circle piston or did it look like a conventional stihl piston?

262 or 361, both good take your pick. I know people cringe when the name Red Max is mentioned, but a professionally ported NEW G621AVS could also be done for $700, maybe more if a limited coil needs to be changed.

Back