The official 261 to 262XP conversion thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your right Barney; a 361 would be about equal to a 262XP with acid in the cylinder and a bees nest in the muffler.

Well, in your case I would strongly reccomend that you pour some muratic acid down the spark plug hole so you can dish out the piston. While the acid is working, set it out behind the garage until some mud wasps build a nest in the muffler, then you'll be all set!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA:cheers: :clap: :hmm3grin2orange: :biggrinbounce2:

I need to look.....but I think I will do a 359/2159 to 262 conversion.......more updated

Is this possible? Will the 262xp cylinder bolt right on the 359? Any advantage or disadvantage to going this route? This sounds like a better option to me. I can get a 359 real easy.
Mark

Last edited:
There were enough similarities in the 254/257/357 and the 261/262 to make me wonder why?

If the 261/2 were better performers, why did they sell so many more of the little brothers? One dealer told me that the 261 had a bad rep for early demise...true, or was he stocked up in 257"s?

There were enough similarities in the 254/257/357 and the 261/262 to make me wonder why?

If the 261/2 were better performers, why did they sell so many more of the little brothers? One dealer told me that the 261 had a bad rep for early demise...true, or was he stocked up in 257"s?

Because the 262's cost almost as much as the 272. I think the 261 was cheaper than the 254XP also

The 357 is a much newer design, and doesn't really belong on that list.....

Last edited:
The 357 is a much newer design, and doesn't really belong on that list.....

On paper the 357xp looks like a real performer. The 357 has a better power to weight ratio than a Stihl 361 due to the fact that it is .2# lighter and has the same HP(4.4). I have not run one but it appears to be the next best thing to a 262xp. Would be interesting to run one against a 361.

Last edited:
On paper the 357xp looks like a real performer. The 357 has a better power to weight ratio than a Stihl 361 due to the fact that it is .2# lighter and has the same HP(4.4). I have not run one but it appears to be the next best thing to a 262xp. Would be interesting to run one against a 361.

Actually, the 357xp powerhead is more than halv a pound heavier than the 361, and is rated at .1kW less than the 361 in the US, .2kW less elsewhere.

Forget the different types of hp - they tend to confuse people......

Last edited:
Actually, the 357xp powerhead is more than halv a pound heavier, and the 361 is rated at .1kW (forget the different types of hp) less in the US, .2kW less elsewhere......

Are you saying that the specs are not reliable? Husky lists the 357 as 12.1# and 4.4hp here. Stihl lists the 361 as 12.3# and 4.4hp here. I trust what you are saying about the weight but is Husqvarna fudging their weight ratings or is Stihl being conservative on their rating? Either way the 357 should be a good runner huh? You ever ran one?

Are you saying that the specs are not reliable? Husky lists the 357 as 12.1# and 4.4hp here. Stihl lists the 361 as 12.3# and 4.4hp here. I trust what you are saying about the weight but is Husqvarna fudging their weight ratings or is Stihl being conservative on their rating? Either way the 357 should be a good runner huh? You ever ran one?

Specs are generally not reliable, specially weight ones - and the 357xp etc is the worst case I have seen since the Dolmar 115 (Dolmar eventually corrected it), along with the 2156 and 2159 "cousins".

This is not brand spesific, and happens with "all" brands - Stihls pro saw specs used to be more reliable than some others', but they messed it up a couple of years ago. The 361 specs is right on though.

Max power specs generally are quite reliable, according to independant dyno testing, regarding the kW output - what mess up the picture is that different kinds of hp are in use, hp vs bhp (as in your example) - SAE vs DIN - maybe more....

....and some times the maths simply doesn't add up .....

Last edited:

Troll likes to spew numbers sometimes that I have no idea where they came from. Spike60 weighed both the 361 and 357 on a scale full of fuel and with the same size bar and both saws weighed the exact same.

Anyways the 357 is a lot different than the 262XP. The 262 has the torque of a 70cc saw and the weight of a 60cc saw. The 357 is not nearly as torquey, and has a little more speed. Its a good saw, but different. The closest current saw to the 262 is probably the 362XP or Dolmar 6400, but they are both much heavier, and still maybe a touch shy in power.

I give up on this one. A year ago at the GTG in Southern Ohio we weighed and posted pictures of a 361 and a 357 both outfitted with the same length bar and tanks full ready to cut. They weight the exact same amount. How hard can this be folks?

Hey, that wasn't me, as the above post clears up. :cheers:

I believe it was cut4fun that posted about it several times - the length of the bars was the same, but they were not the same - and the scale looked a tad suspicious. Bar weights can differ quite a bit, even when they are equally long.

....and I trust the results by Dave Neiger and KWF/DLG more, and they both concluded that the 357xp powerhead is about 2/3 of a pound heavier than the 361 powerhead.

Last edited:
Did the saws go to the bathroom before they were weighed? A full bladder and bowels can add significant amounts of weight. :givebeer:

I believe it was cut4fun that posted about it several times - the length of the bars was the same, but they were not the same - and the scale looked a tad suspicious. Bar weights can differ quite a bit, even when they are equally long.

....and I trust the results by Dave Neiger and KWF/DLG more, and they both concluded that the 357xp powerhead is about 2/3 of a pound heavier than the 361 powerhead.

I took those pictures myself. What's so suspicious about the pics? Are you suggesting a 1/2 lb weight difference between bars due to brand? The saws weigh the exact same when full of fuel and oil when outfitted with the same length bar. Period, end of story.

Last edited:
:spam:

ahh....

but did they have gas from the same pump in them? were both clean of oil and chips (inside and out)? did either of them have crud between the bar rails? exactly how many sharpenings had each chain had? were the rakers of equal height? did either saw have chipped paint?

it all adds up...

Latest posts

Back