seeking advise: theft prevention of log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cityevader

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've finally gotten a log splitter. Until recently, my multiple cars added up didn't equal the price of a log splitter. Therefore, I'm a bit wary. Especially since I have no garage or shed or storage space to safely keep it in. Moreso wary because this last year or two has seen a tremendous increase in renters vs homeowners, bringing in all kinds of new people. Most are questionable. We live in "the mountains" compared to the folks in Silicone Valley or along the coast in Santa Cruz. So "mountainfolk" here are, ahem, different. Anyhoo, most of the new renters are of the unemployed type who scavange for anything from metal to wood (mostly wood though).....I feel bad for having unsubstantiated fears about them, but in the 10 hours a day I'm gone, anybody could back right up and hitch it on and be off!

Thought of welding on a D-ring and chaining it to a tree, but the only substantial tree is up the hill. Bolt cutters would free it too. Thinking of a long metal rod going from wheel to wheel with a heavy lock, but can't logistically make it easily fabricated. Besides, if six of the dozen folks came over, they could literally walk off with it!

Ideas?

Nothing's foolproof, but first thing I tell all of my customers to do is to take the the hitch off the splitter. Two bolts and it's off. It's a lot harder to steal a splitter when you can't just hook it up and tow it away.

I think that if someone really wants to steal something they will one way or another. If you make it somewhat secure, looking it to a tree, putting a lock in the coupler it might make it look unappealing to a person looking for a easy score.

A few years back I had a 24' box truck loaded with lots of lawn equipment. Came in late to the yard didn't back the truck against the building like usual, and a crackhead guy cut the lock and unloaded a dixie chopper, trimmers/blower and every other thing into the back of a stolen pickup.

He got caught and went to jail. Locks keep people honest.

You mention having multiple vehicles, make a corral out of the vehicles and park the splitter inside.

two suggestions... 1) take the wheels off... 2) have about 2000 more lbs of weight welded to it... it would make it a PITA to move .. having to put the wheels on ... and the extra weight would keep them from literally walking off with it... but if they do just have the cops check the local hospital for hernia injuries.. :cheers:

Buy a piece of galvanized pipe. A little ingenuity with a drill and a couple of good quality padlocks should make a nice locking bar through the wheels.

How about tottaly dissasmble it. Hitch,axle,unbolt engine and pump. unpin cylinder, put all parts in the house. No crackhead will want to put it all back together to steal it. Only thing is scrap prices are high so they will probably drag Ibeam off to scrapyard. Better take that inside too.:cheers:

Just put several jumping johnny's around your core areas but don't forget
were ya put em. :laugh: Several good ideas here but it may be easier to
just put your belongings on homeowners insurance so if stole they get replaced.

There is a guy in Los Gatos that has some chain link fence listed on craigs list . Looks like there is enough there to also add a roof . Maybe he will come down off the price or traid him for a pickup load of some split wood. Includes two gates. Stick the thing around back & allways keep it covered up. Install sentury lighting & post the property guard dog on duty. Chain across the drive way. Weld the last thread on the bolts attachin the engine so it cant walk off. & chained inside the cage.

two suggestions... 1) take the wheels off... 2) have about 2000 more lbs of weight welded to it... it would make it a PITA to move .. having to put the wheels on ... and the extra weight would keep them from literally walking off with it... but if they do just have the cops check the local hospital for hernia injuries.. :cheers:

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about! MASS!!!

I wish I could move, but I'm stuck. My home I bought 6 years ago is worth less than when I bought it. Thought about walking away, but irresponsibility irks me greatly. The increase of renters is certainly based on economy which has killed chance of getting rid of house...which, by the way, I'll never do again! Homeownership actually really sucks!

Hey Mr. Myzamboni...wanna buy a house?

I'm thinking I need to level out a bit of ground to make a centralized and flat home for it, maybe make a wood enclosure or use a "camo" netting over it, flatten the tires to make it look like it's never been moved. And also weld on weights, and also chain it up, and also keep it unusuably in pieces inside. Anybody got a killer dog I chain to it? hehehe

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about! MASS!!!

I wish I could move, but I'm stuck. My home I bought 6 years ago is worth less than when I bought it. Thought about walking away, but irresponsibility irks me greatly. The increase of renters is certainly based on economy which has killed chance of getting rid of house...which, by the way, I'll never do again! Homeownership actually really sucks!

Hey Mr. Myzamboni...wanna buy a house?

I'm thinking I need to level out a bit of ground to make a centralized and flat home for it, maybe make a wood enclosure or use a "camo" netting over it, flatten the tires to make it look like it's never been moved. And also weld on weights, and also chain it up, and also keep it unusuably in pieces inside. Anybody got a killer dog I chain to it? hehehe

Ok take a steel plate fasten one wire of a 110 to it and the other to the splitter so when they touch it bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz thief zapper :laugh:

Dig a deadfall all the way around your area and cover it with pine straw! I am not really suggesting this but it is effective:laugh:

Last edited:
Talk to your insurance guy, maybe you could get a seperate policy which would cover in addition to your homeowners policy. Not sure if its possible, but normally its not to expensive to have extra coverage on specialty items.

cement an i beam in the ground and then weld the splitter to it.. it would be funny to watch someone hook on to it and try to drive away.. LOL:hmm3grin2orange:

hmmmm... I do have an unused electric fence transformer... forgot about that. I do have a bunch of bamboo I can angle-cut for punji (sp?) stakes. And I do have a bunch of s**t around to coat the tips with. If only...

.....If only I could torment them with my wife.....like trap them into a corner to get a good talking to. They'd NEVER come back!!!!

cement an i beam in the ground and then weld the splitter to it.. it would be funny to watch someone hook on to it and try to drive away.. LOL:hmm3grin2orange:

actually, my second thought was to cement a few metal eye-bolts in-ground to secure it....but portability is essential, so perma-mounting would be unproductive....shoot!!!

hook it to a ground anchor with ship anchor chain... the bigger the better...

or dig a moat around the wood area... add piranha or alligators and watch the fun
and tape it for 'dumbest criminals'

I lace a 20' length of 3/8 transport grade chain through my logsplitter wheels around the frame multiple times, and it is secured with twin theft-proof padlocks with the steel protection around the loop. Of course I live in rural Kansas, but theft is a serious issue everywhere now.

Back