036 muffler mod question...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ballisticdoughnut

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently picked up a mint 036 Pro and will be modifying the muffler at some point. Was wondering if any fellow 036 owners have modded their mufflers and if so how'd you go aboot doing it? I don't see many options other than adding a port on the flywheel side. I'm very particular about how I do any kind of modifications, it has to look right if you catch my meaning. Any pictures would be a big help.

I simply removed the screen and reamed the existing hole the same size and moved it forward which almost doubled the size of the factory hole then put the screen back in. Really woke the saw up and the screen is still there for cutting on state and federal land.

I simply removed the screen and reamed the existing hole the same size and moved it forward which almost doubled the size of the factory hole then put the screen back in. Really woke the saw up and the screen is still there for cutting on state and federal land.
That is all the stock non ported 036 needs , adding extra ports only make more noise.Pipes and deflectors are for looks and if that turns your crank go for it.

One thing to note is that Still choked down the outlet on later 036, so those will benefit more from opening things up. I can't find where I read it but change was significant, something like 19mm----->13mm
I'm sure mine has the smaller hole, the saw was purchased December of 2001. There's a older 036 in the saw pile at work, I'll have to see if there's a difference in outlet size.

I did mine the same way. It did help with performance. Enough that I could notice it a lot when cutting.

9/16"--5/8" just about right for stock saw. Just enlarge the stock outlet.

This early model 036 Pro from the pile has the smaller hole, my late model 036 Pro has the larger hole like the other picture.
Mine is like the one with the smaller hole, If it's a 13mm like stated above then I just used a 1/2" bit (12.7mm) and after removing the screen just slanted the drill into the existing hole and reamed it forward making an oblong hole towards the front of the muffler.
I just looked at the receipt on mine and I bought it new in March of 2001. So she's 20 years old and at the most has 10 hours (more like less than 5). I just had other saws that I used more even though I like the feel of the 036 more than any other saw I have owned.

Back