2001 husqvarna 55 closed port?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes or have someone that ports mufflers weld a new port baffle on the muffler u have. A pic of port side of muffler would help me see what is going on also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One way to check for cp vs. op on the 55 is to pull the top cover and look at the flywheel side rear (intake side) cylinder bolt access hole through the cylinder fins. The hole you'd stick your allen wrench down through to get to that cylinder bolt. On an open port saw that hole goes through 3 fins. On a closed port saw that hole goes through 6 fins. Hope this makes sense.

I recently had a nice husky 50special 300th anniversary saw to fix...

I had a good used closed port cylinder and piston so I swapped it onto the model 50....

This is my 4th closed port 55 setup to work on.

I really can tell a big power difference between the open port and closed port setups.

The closed port is much snappier and pulls more rpm in the cut= more power.

This is a rare example of an EPA part (closed port)running better than the non-EPA (open port).

Whether using an open port or closed port, all used Husky 50, 51, and 55's need a new impulse grommet and need to have the carb torqued/tightened up. You will also want to replace the intake boot if it is too soft/sponges.

If the plastic threads that retain the carb bolts are stripped, replace the intake partition with a new one or see my fix for cheap that works great.

These issues are the only real weak points to this series of saws, but they are 95% of the reason why these saws might have a scored piston/cylinder. The seals and bearings rarely go bad; out of 10-11 of these saws I have worked on, all the bearings and seals have been good.

One way to check for cp vs. op on the 55 is to pull the top cover and look at the flywheel side rear (intake side) cylinder bolt access hole through the cylinder fins. The hole you'd stick your allen wrench down through to get to that cylinder bolt. On an open port saw that hole goes through 3 fins. On a closed port saw that hole goes through 6 fins. Hope this makes sense.
I've established it's a closed port . The schematic I have shows 2 different mufflers for this model do u know which one to put on and where to get it?

You can buy an aftermarket one with the big scoop looking deflector for about $25-$30 and I recommend a muff mod for a closed port engine

Yes I have seen lots of melted chain brake handles on 51/55 usually due to the screws falling out of the baffle on the muffler

That basically is operator error, as the manuals tell you to keep bolts and screws tight - but it does of course happen.

Please get rid of the Tapatalk and phone references from your post, they really are annoying...

I recently had a nice husky 50special 300th anniversary saw to fix...

I had a good used closed port cylinder and piston so I swapped it onto the model 50....

This is my 4th closed port 55 setup to work on.

I really can tell a big power difference between the open port and closed port setups.

The closed port is much snappier and pulls more rpm in the cut= more power.

This is a rare example of an EPA part (closed port)running better than the non-EPA (open port).

...... .

Surely, but in the case of the 50 Special it is about 45mm open port vs. 45mm closed port - in the case of the 55 it is about 46mm open port vs. 45mm closed port, not quite the same thing.

There are a a couple of even better top end options than the 45mm CP of the 55 that also will fit those saws. Those are all CP of course, and are the 45mm of the Jonsered 590 and the 46mm of the P5500 and PP325 - but finding one of those isn't easy at all.

Latest posts

Back