3/4 wrap for windfall clearing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomasinvancouver

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Looking to get a 70cc for trail clearing. I have a 362cm with a 1/2 wrap. I want something for bigger wood, mostly pine and fir in the PNW. I have a 28” with skip for the 362, but I wouldn’t want to bury it during a full days work. I’m looking at a 462cm. Should I get a 3/4 factory wrap? I might do some felling in the future, but it will be a small part of what I do. What are the 3/4 benefits for bucking?

Looking to get a 70cc for trail clearing. I have a 362cm with a 1/2 wrap. I want something for bigger wood, mostly pine and fir in the PNW. I have a 28” with skip for the 362, but I wouldn’t want to bury it during a full days work. I’m looking at a 462cm. Should I get a 3/4 factory wrap? I might do some felling in the future, but it will be a small part of what I do. What are the 3/4 benefits for bucking?

Idk.. i feel like it's kinda a personal choice depending on what your doing... as well as whether or not you need to flush cut things real low.. like in a residential situation.. I've always just ran with what i had until recently where i had a dealer that threw in the 3/4 wrap for nothing on a 562 purchase.. I put it on & instantly realized it's benifits as well as disadvantages..

Personally as far as the 3/4 goes, the jury is still out for ground/felling work.. even with a lightweight 25 on it, it is noticably heaver. However as far as the small amount of bucket work I've done with it goes, it's just an additional way to grab & manipulate the saw when in funky positions, back barring something or the odd scenario where you would want to run lefty for a minute. As for a "just bucking" scenario, straight up & down cutting, i don't see much benifit other than the lefty thing..

As far as a bigger saw? Are you walking the trails..? Riding ATV... Galloping on Mr. Ed...? IDK.. 70cc's just for clearing trails sounds large to me, especially if having to walk a good clip.. But i also don't live in the PNW... In all my years riding the trails around New England I personally never came across anything that a 20-25 couldn't make work of with the correct techniques.. but that's not too say the need for larger couldn't happen.. Personally, I like the lighter saws when ported.. Im always reaching for the best power to weight & 362 is no slouch when modded, ****, even stock it's a decent saw. If modded, I wouldn't have issue running a 28 with one.. especially in soft PNW timber. I'm not a fan of skip though.. Years ago.. it seemed to make sense to me, but after trying it for a while I was always left feeling a full comp cut faster, even with a over barred saw... Idk, maybe there were other factors at hand.. but i know for a fact i didn't like the skip in hard wood.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I have used the 362 with a 25 full comp so far. It’s all hiking while carrying the saw in a True North bar cover over the shoulder. The 462 would only be used if I knew ahead of time there was a lot of big tree clearing to do. I know the full wrap would be useful for felling, but I’m not sure on the bucking. I’m already leaning towards the wrap, maybe I’m just looking for some validation.

It's another way to hold the saw, it can be really useful and comfortable if you have to fell from one side. Using your wrist to hold the saw clutch cover side up especially with a 28 or 32 on a 372, 044/440, 046/460, 441 or 461 is mighty tiresome on your wrist and forearm with a half wrap. I would have to imagine it will be the same or worse with a 462 being lighter and the balance being wonky. I like one especially when stuff is getting weird or I really don't want to cut with the back of the bar. Just watch for broken and thrown chains with your hand over the clutch cover. The roller chain catcher really is your best friend then. If I had the choice between my tired 046 with a 3/4 wrap or my still clean 441 with a half wrap for windfalls knowing how sketchy they can be, especially if the trees are windthrown I would go for the mildly heavier, vibrate my hands off 046 because it has it, if that answers your question.

I have used the 362 with a 25 full comp so far. It’s all hiking while carrying the saw in a True North bar cover over the shoulder. The 462 would only be used if I knew ahead of time there was a lot of big tree clearing to do. I know the full wrap would be useful for felling, but I’m not sure on the bucking. I’m already leaning towards the wrap, maybe I’m just looking for some validation.

It's another way to hold the saw, it can be really useful and comfortable if you have to fell from over side. Using your wrist to hold the saw clutch cover side up especially with a 28 or 32 on a 372, 044/440, 046/460, 441 or 461 is mighty tiresome on your wrist and forearm. I would have to imagine it will be the same or worse with a 462 being lighter and the balance being wonky. I like one especially when stuff is getting weird or I really don't want to cut with the back of the bar. Just watch for broken and thrown chains with your hand over the clutch cover. The roller chain catcher really is your best friend then. If I had the choice between my tired 046 with a 3/4 wrap or my still clean 441 with a half wrap for windfalls knowing how sketchy they can be, especially if the trees are windthrown I would go for the mildly heavier, vibrate my hands off 046 because it has it, if that answers your question.

After reading your response i was going to say definatley forget it since your hoofing it.. but if your dealing with really big stuff & your doing more than just bucking, as in skinning it out, it could be useful if your on the opposite side having to... again, use it "lefty".

But on the other hand it does add weight.. so I'm not sure what I'd want..

Honestly.. right now i think of hoofing through the woods with my 562, the 25” Oregon Ultra Light or whatever that new one is called & it's 3/4 wrap... & I say to myself $&#? that.. IDK something definatley different with this setup.. I'm not sure if it's just the bar i had to get in a pinch not being as light as it could or if it's the actual 3/4 adding all the extra weight I'm sensing, but it's a significantly heavier setup than my last 562.. My last one was a Mastermind with a 1\2 wrap, a 25" tsumara & i loved it.. i couldnt keep it out of everyone else's hands.. I also never needed more than 25 to get the job done... & were talking about some decent sized stuff.. big enough where as the normal sized log truck would have trouble getting a grip to pick..

I do quite a bit of trail work in the same area that your in......... an old 036 Pro with a 20" was my "go to" saw for years, with an even older 056 with a 36" for bigger stuff! We ran into a 6 1/2 ft. diameter fir a couple years ago! My current combo is a 260 with a 20", and a 046R with a 28" light bar for the bigger stuff. I have bigger bars if needed, but they get heavy! The 3/4 wrap is rarely used when bucking, but it isn't all that much extra weight, and it can help.... I'm glad I have mine! The new 500 MS may be the best big trail saw ever.......?

For falling a wrap of any kind should be a requirement you can sit on one side of the stuff to do all the work depending on size of the tree. Bucking there’s time you need to be on the far side of the saw for safety but the biggest place is when limboing walking out you’ll learn to flip the saw easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After reading your response i was going to say definatley forget it since your hoofing it.. but if your dealing with really big stuff & your doing more than just bucking, as in skinning it out, it could be useful if your on the opposite side having to... again, use it "lefty".

But on the other hand it does add weight.. so I'm not sure what I'd want..

Honestly.. right now i think of hoofing through the woods with my 562, the 25” Oregon Ultra Light or whatever that new one is called & it's 3/4 wrap... & I say to myself $&#? that.. IDK something definatley different with this setup.. I'm not sure if it's just the bar i had to get in a pinch not being as light as it could or if it's the actual 3/4 adding all the extra weight I'm sensing, but it's a significantly heavier setup than my last 562.. My last one was a Mastermind with a 1\2 wrap, a 25" tsumara & i loved it.. i couldnt keep it out of everyone else's hands.. I also never needed more than 25 to get the job done... & were talking about some decent sized stuff.. big enough where as the normal sized log truck would have trouble getting a grip to pick..

Just curious how many of the guys cutting have to walk out and almost all of us run a wrap saw?
I have the same saw with a 32 there’s not a ton of extra weight there with the wrap, now to how to carry a saw like that throw it on your shoulder you’ll wear a groove after a bit for your bar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back