394 teardown thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ggoodman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
so my milling saw is done. used it one last time to get half a cherry milled and it would not restart. thinking it was the carb I took it off and so my horror were lines or grooves on the intake side, took the muffler off and more lines on the piston. so off came the jug and there are scores on the jug as well. Deep enough I can feel them with my sterile gloved finger.
Also found a little play in the crank case bearing so it looks like a full tear down is coming. there rings were perfect so i am unsure if the jug is done or not.

more pics, questions, and advice request to come.

IMG_3593_zps6pav5dnd.jpg
so my milling saw is done. used it one last time to get half a cherry milled and it would not restart. thinking it was the carb I took it off and so my horror were lines or grooves on the intake side, took the muffler off and more lines on the piston. so off came the jug and there are scores on the jug as well. Deep enough I can feel them with my sterile gloved finger.
Also found a little play in the crank case bearing so it looks like a full tear down is coming. there rings were perfect so i am unsure if the jug is done or not.

more pics, questions, and advice request to come.
IMG_3586_zpsrkxrfcv0.jpg

IMG_3587_zpsddjz0v5u.jpg

IMG_3588_zps0cadlg3n.jpg

IMG_3591_zpsrhasqgql.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk73/GCGOODMAN/IMG_3594_zpstrpqihte.jpg

there are 2 score in the bore the more sever is on the exhaust side compression was ~154lbs.

should I just get a new piston and rings along with rebuilding the bottom end ie new seals bearing....or should I be hunting another jug to.
the cruddy brown stuff is from me tearing it apart there was nothing in the cylinder prior to tear down.
I was running a hightop OE filter.

GG

quick search says acid(i have muriatic) on a q tip followed by 300 grit scotchbrite? as for the piston im at a loss.

Between us Bama fans, can you elaborate on Randy's method for cylinder cleanup?

Lol Roll Tide my friend. There is a thread on it here. It consist of using different grits of sand paper on a dremel, followed by scotchbrite. Takes less than 5 minutes. I seen it done on my 2100 cylinder that was in bad shape and it looked great afterwards

ok So some parts are ordered for the bottom end
Meteor piston kit with caber rings
crank seals/bearings
piston needle bearing
botom end gasket kit
After cleaning the jug it is now smooth. I can see the scoring but cant feel it. so given this should I still do the full mult grit dremal restore?
i'm planning on no base gasket or
So next parts order will be
Clutch side bearing
Carb kit
new on/off switch
fule lines/Filter

What am i not thinking of? bearing and seal wise?

We survived the storm used the 361 and 026 to remove 8 trees, 2 on my house the rest in streets or on neighbors houses. could have used the 394 for sure but the other saws got the job done... slower but done. so with like getting back to normal I am back to this project

Back