Anyone with a Harbor Freight Chain sharpener try and do a square grind?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmaster

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Seems a decent piece of triangle metal could be clamped and maybe get a consistent cut with a properly dressed grinding wheel.

Anyone done so?

theres a company that sells that exact thing called squarejig, i'd run one but think they want to much money for a little metal triangle.

OK ... yeah I have never used them ... have you tried an HF or used one before?
Yup. Complete crap.
The one Amazon sells for $85 isn’t bad, however, Vevor
I got one to play with next to my Ore 520. Out of the box it was a bit unstable but some tweaking fixed most of the slop. It is a dedicated raker grinder now. The plastic, rear adjustment knob broke in the first hr, lol. Threw it out and just use a wrench on the now exposed bolt head :p
For the price it is a capable grinder.
Shows $95 now 🙄

Yup. Complete crap.
I got one to play with next to my Ore 520. Out of the box it was a bit unstable but some tweaking fixed most of the slop. It is a dedicated raker grinder now. The plastic, rear adjustment knob broke in the first hr, lol. Threw it out and just use a wrench on the now exposed bolt head :p
Shows $95 now 🙄

OK .. Thanks a ton ... you saved me from the same agony.

Yup. Complete crap.
Shows $95 now 🙄

So I am looking at an Oregon Grinder 410-120 - Saw the Jig (for $320) that lets you square grind with it. I can't spring for $320 ... but may build my own Jig with a couple pieces of steel shaped accordingly with a 45 degree angle and with spacers for .050, .058, .063

Have you looked at that Oregon model and do you think it might support a small mount poking up from the base maybe 3-4 inches? (Or will I have to fab a whole base mount as a one piece?)

Attachments

• Square Jig.png
    Square Jig.png
    201.7 KB · Views: 2

Latest posts

Back