Best Cordless Power Tools

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a dewalt 14.4v nicd drill set for 10 years, couldnt kill the drill. Im not a contractor but i get into my share of roofs/decks/drilling heavy metal, etc. batteries sucked but it didnt die. I upgraded to the Ridgid x4 kit over the summer. The batteries dont hold a charge well over time, but if you charge them before use, they last a very long time. I like the feel of the drills, i have the impact and regular drill. They are small, light, and very strong. The kit came with a radio with a aux jack, which is completely awesome. Got the kit on sale for $200.
I was afraid the Ridgid impact would replace my craftsman 12v battery impact. Nope. Its definately stronger, but i just cant give up the craftsman for working on small engines.

I just ordered a Bosch 12v kit that has the ps31 drill/driver, ps41 impact driver, (2) 2.0 Ah batteries and 2 of their nifty "L-Boxx" storage containers. The drill, impact driver, batteries and charger fit in one box and the other box has removable dividers for parts accessories storage. Got the whole kit for $150 shipped. I was a little hesitant with all of the brushless stuff coming out, but that would have cost me double. Had my eyes on the Milwaukee fuel set, but I'll wait until the brushless prices drop.

Bosch just released some brushless tools in 18v and 12v. The 18v impact has a great feature in that you can use normal 1/4" impact bits or 1/2" sockets without an adapter. Pretty slick.

Here's some more eye candy for you. Milwaukee's new M12 Fuel Combo Kit featuring the Hammer Drill/Driver and Impact Driver.

DSC00224.JPG

Hello!

I am looking for a cordless impact driver that can screw the pictured 20 mm
(25/32") diameter 30 mm (38/32") socket Frensch screws into tree stumps
for turning winsch wires in connection with complicated tree fellings - from
the amount of force I use with the pictured 1 meter 3/4" bar handle I estim-
ate that up to 750 Nm is required - my firm belief is that a cordless device for
this does not exist, or :) ?

Thanks

You need to look at the Milwauke Fuel M18 High Torque Impact Wrenches or the Ingersoll Rand W7150. I posted a review of the Milwaukee 2764-22 on this thread.

I have a lot of Makita 18 volt cordless stuff - they are quality items - but
one must realize that a modern state-of-the-art battery for such a mach-
ine can deliver at the very most an equivalent of one oz of petrol ... .

My favorite cordless machine is therefore instead my Husky 120 cc rail
saw which equipped with a 1 liter or so fuel tank can inflict seriuosly mo-
re damage than virtually any pile of battery machines ... . See here for
example when I chopped two rusted forged bicycle locks in like 0.5 sec-
onds ... doesn't take much longer to fell a parking meter or chop the
wheels of your least liked neighbour's car ... .

DSC00223.JPG

PS. Note that by burning your chargable battery (charged or uncharged)
instead of using its charge (or lack of it) you will get like 100 times more
energy than using its full charge ... . Just some simple thoughts of an un-
knowledgeable amateur ... :) .

Ridgid 18 volt Xr4 Drill and Impact Driver Kit.
Use it daily for Small Engine Repair and the Torque of the impact is more than all other BRANDS in its class. It does have 100BPM less than the Dewalt and Milwaukee , but the torque is about 300-400 in. lbs more I believe. I prefer the TORQUE instead. Batteries LAST!

RIGID HAS MY MONEY!!!

I also have that Ridgid Xr4 Kit and they are my go-to tools around the house. Very good ergonomics and great performance. The soft case is real handy.

Here's a couple more to feast your eyes on. OK the Rotary Hammer is corded, but just a beast of a tool.

I'm still pissed that 6 months after I bought my Makita LXT Impact driver and drill they came out with brushless versions. Still I have no complaints about my Makita set, they are powerful, have great battery life and perform very well. I'd buy them again only I'd go with the brushless versions. I'd also consider a Ridgid set since the batteries with them come with lifetime warranty.

I just retired an old Makita 12 volt 3/8"drill with a Milwaukee M12 Fuel 1/2" drill.
I considered an M18 but when it came down to it for hobby and house repairs the lighter weight was more important that having wrist straining torque. That couple extra pounds really makes a difference and it's a bit more compact for squeezing in tight spaces like between studs.
I love the M12 Fuel. It comes with two battery sizes in the kit and recharge only takes an hour.

I have the Milwaukee M12 Fuel Hammer Drill and Impact Driver Set, and it delivers near 18 Volt performance in a compact package. I'm getting the new Makita 18 Volt Brushless Hammer Drill and Impact Driver Set. The drill delivers a whopping 1040 in-lbs torque. The Dewalt and Milwaukee only has 725 in-lbs. Should be a beast.

Latest posts

Back