BIL Mill's maiden voyage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Comprehension

Just finding someone who can weld aluminium is a major achievement.I`ve employed various metal workers & blacksmiths to make sculptures for me out of iron,steel & stainless steel but anything alluminium has to be riveted.(I have a riveted alluminium 11 foot boat)

My 076 with its 25 inch blade makes me ask myself "Am I a man or a mouse". If the blade was 5 foot I would not have bought it. In an earlier auction there was a Lucas Mill with what looked like a five foot chain horizontal a foot or so above the ground.It sold for thousands of pounds not hundreds like I hoped but I also thought if the chain ever broke the operator was going to lose his legs.

Just finding someone who can weld aluminium is a major achievement.I`ve employed various metal workers & blacksmiths to make sculptures for me out of iron,steel & stainless steel but anything alluminium has to be riveted.(I have a riveted alluminium 11 foot boat)

My 076 with its 25 inch blade makes me ask myself "Am I a man or a mouse". If the blade was 5 foot I would not have bought it. In an earlier auction there was a Lucas Mill with what looked like a five foot chain horizontal a foot or so above the ground.It sold for thousands of pounds not hundreds like I hoped but I also thought if the chain ever broke the operator was going to lose his legs.

Aluminium welding is pretty common these days. My brother in law (BIL) makes ally boats and he works with about 20 blokes who all weld ally. BIL also uses wood working routers and circular saws to shape ally. He also shrinks and stretches ally sheet using heat and it's amazing to see the curves he can generate.

Yeah it's a real fun project alright. Seeing as I can only mill outside it's just been too hot to mill here and I've been getting serious milling withdrawal! It would be good if I could use this spare time to devote to other woodworking projects but it's also been too hot to work in my shop at home so I have used the metal shop at work to make some hand plane blades using the water cooled surface grinder.

Here's the latest products. The blades are D2 tool steel and are 5/16" thick x 2" wide, bevels range from 26.5º on the LHS to 23º on the right.
attachment.php

Hi BobL, I found this thread from the link about sawmilling in your sig.

Are those plane blades intended for use in a bevel up (like a block plane or some of the Veritas bench planes) , or bevel down plane (like most standard Stanley bench planes)?

Only reason I ask is because if they are intended for a bevel up plane its nice to have a few different included angles,
My (Veritas low angle) block plane has the iron or blade bedded at about 12 degrees and the standard iron comes honed at 25 degrees which is very nice for planing with the grain in softwoods and produce a type one chip but you can also buy blades for them honed at 38 and 50 degrees which are good for planing wild grained woods and produce a type two chip.
Theres some information regarding it HERE

I may well be telling you how to suck eggs here and if so stop me and tell me, I currently only have one plane iron for my low angle block plane but have changed the honing angle on a couple of occassions to suit the wood being planed, having another iron would be better though as I could have one set up for each angle.

If your plane is bevel down there isn't much you can do about it other than maybe put a small back bevel onto it, which I must comfess I am not keen on doing with my number 5 stanley jackplane.

Regards Scott.

Hi BobL, I found this thread from the link about sawmilling in your sig.

Are those plane blades intended for use in a bevel up (like a block plane or some of the Veritas bench planes) , or bevel down plane (like most standard Stanley bench planes)?

I haven't decided yet, but probably Bevel UP. I haven't made the plane yet.

Cheers

I haven't decided yet, but probably Bevel UP. I haven't made the plane yet.

Cheers

Ahh, (Gulp) if you're making the plane as well as the irons I will quietly back out of this while my pride is intact, I figure you know what your doing and wont make any more comments that try to teach you how to suck eggs.

Scott

Ahh, (Gulp) if you're making the plane as well as the irons I will quietly back out of this while my pride is intact, I figure you know what your doing and wont make any more comments that try to teach you how to suck eggs.

No worries, here's the sorts of things I made in 2008, and here's the 2007 products.

Milling, while I'm physically able, has kind of taken over.

Cheers

No worries, here's the sorts of things I made in 2008, and here's the 2007 products.

Milling, while I'm physically able, has kind of taken over.

Cheers

I did have a few links about plane making on our old computer but it died and I no longer have the links, Hotleyclassic handplanes was one and there was a few others that I can't remember now, looking back at the Hotley page I seem to remember there being more details regarding the construction on the site, pretty sure he's on one of the woodwork forums somewhere and theres project details on the forums that I assume you will have already found.
Another one I remember having saved in my favorites was Ian Dalziel but I can't find much about his planes now.

Are you making a wooden or metal plane? Or both as an infill plane?

I'm interested but as I don't have access to machining facilities thats where my interest will stay and I doubt it would ever get to the making phase.

Last edited:
Are you making a wooden or metal plane? Or both as an infill plane?

Those blades are for all wooden planes. I managed to pick up 2 pieces of Japanese white oak when I was in Brisbane a couple of years ago and am thinking about making a japanese style plane. The japanese oak came from the Brisbane Botanical Gardens and were removed by an Eco-Miller I know from an Australian Woodworkers forum. Members of the forum often trade small specialized pieces of wood for turning or small objects. I fly all over Australia and am often carrying strange pieces of wood or metal in my suitcase. Last month I returned from Melbourne carrying 26lb of brass I picked up in a bulk group purchase by a subgroup from the same forum. The blades were also part of a bulk purchase of tool steel by forum members. This really helps with shipping to Australia as it can cost an arm and a leg for something like tool steel

Those blades are for all wooden planes. I managed to pick up 2 pieces of Japanese white oak when I was in Brisbane a couple of years ago and am thinking about making a japanese style plane. The japanese oak came from the Brisbane Botanical Gardens and were removed by an Eco-Miller I know from an Australian Woodworkers forum. Members of the forum often trade small specialized pieces of wood for turning or small objects. I fly all over Australia and am often carrying strange pieces of wood or metal in my suitcase. Last month I returned from Melbourne carrying 26lb of brass I picked up in a bulk group purchase by a subgroup from the same forum. The blades were also part of a bulk purchase of tool steel by forum members. This really helps with shipping to Australia as it can cost an arm and a leg for something like tool steel

Sounds like a good project to get your teeth into, I hope you will post up pictures when you have made them.
One of my sisters lives just outside Brisbane, she emigrated a few years ago and is married to an australian bloke and has two children over there so I don't see her as much as I would like.

Regards Scott.

a 076.... As far as I can see it's the carb, intake block, few bolts and a diff filter / saw top part..
yep they are slightly different, maybe slightly different muffler casing as well.

Is the cylinder timing and ports and diff??
I don't think so.

Mine also has a chain brake although I took mine off. The 076AV's I've seen don't have one. I think mine is a 1995? model

Back