Cement filled tree......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Used to be common practice. Clean out all the rotten stuff back to solid wood then put in concrete. Was thought it would stop the rot from spreading. This was before Dr. Alex Shigo and his compartmentilization theories. Had to put it in in layers usually seperated by roofing felt. This way when the tree would sway and flex the layers would slide across each other. Didn't provide any additional strength until the callous tissue would grow across the surface. Thought was that a hollow cylinder of solid wood (like an O) was stronger than a hollow U shape. It did provide a solid backing for the callous tissue to grow across and try to close over the cavity (rather than curling in on itself). If the callous did grow across the cavity it did conveniently hide the concrete from the arborist who had to bid the eventual removal (sucks to be him and his crew). Usually done now with expanding foam. Easier on saw chains but not as long lasting as the concrete.

So what ur sayin is, concrete is OK? Really!

it's holding up your house, isn't it ?

does your house sway and break off the foundation ?

what's the pyramids made from, that lasted 4000 years ?

I hear a lot of tree cutters #####ing concrete, but still have not heard of a single cement filled tree actually falling down because of the concrete

where's the proof ? difficulty in removal is not reason to not use it, that just proves how much more sturdy the tree is, with the concrete in it

it's difficult to remove a building too, for good reason

the issue I'd be concerned about, is the trunk the being solid, and all the flexing in wind taking place up higher where the trunk is thinner, and perhaps the stress causing the tree to crack and break there.

Last edited:
Ya know, your right, concrete is strong, who knew. But since u have no idea of what it really does to a tree, what ants do to a tree. I am going to ask you to get some education in Arboriculture, because it is obvious that u don't have any. These things that u say have been proven wrong (except that concrete gets hard) by so many, its amazing that you haven't read about it somewhere, but it is clear that u have not. Keep posting absolute BS and you will go away. Your "advice" is horrible and not accurate.

Just so no one takes away, any of this he says. If a tree needs to have a yard of concert poured in it, it should be removed, period. Yes at one time in history, it was a practice, then we started walking upright and making wheels.

Do you work in tree care?

Ya know, your right, concrete is strong, who knew. But since u have no idea of what it really does to a tree, what ants do to a tree. I am going to ask you to get some education in Arboriculture, because it is obvious that u don't have any. These things that u say have been proven wrong (except that concrete gets hard) by so many, its amazing that you haven't read about it somewhere, but it is clear that u have not. Keep posting absolute BS and you will go away. Your "advice" is horrible and not accurate.

Just so no one takes away, any of this he says. If a tree needs to have a yard of concert poured in it, it should be removed, period. Yes at one time in history, it was a practice, then we started walking upright and making wheels.

Do you work in tree care?

do you have common sense ?

show me a tree that fell over, because there was concrete in it.

this thread OP showed one thriving, that would have fallen down a long time ago, had it not been for the concrete blocks

cutting them down, isn't tree care.

anyone can do that. If your idea of "tree care" is cutting them down, without hitting anything, I'd say it's lacking.

making them live another 100 years, now that's the challenge

ever hear of the liberty tree ? It lived another 90 years, because it was strengthened with concrete

http://construction.asu.edu/cim/Articles/tree_surgery.pdf

the Liberty Tree

THE LIBERTY TREE
A famous tree once saved with concrete in 1907
was “The Liberty Tree,” in Annapolis, MD. This majestic
Tulip Poplar (Fig. 4) eventually lived an estimated
400 years—100 to 150 years beyond the normal life span
for the species. Unfortunately, damage from high wind
forces exerted during recent Hurricane Floyd harmed
the old tree too severely, requiring its removal in 1999.
Taking out the concrete-filled arbor proved an arduous
task—requiring a laborious day and a half. It was a
sad ending to a natural monument that had withstood
many assaults during its long life, including lightning
strikes, fire set in one its hollows, and even a blast
from 2 lb (0.9 kg) of gunpowder placed within a hollow
in the old tree.
The Liberty Tree earned its name for events taking
place under or near its once capacious, leafy awning
during the American Revolution in the 18th century.
At the time, these events included meetings at which
orators fomented revolution against the British Crown.
One such speechmaker was Maryland=s Samuel Chase, a
founding father of the United States of America, and a
signer of the Declaration of Independence.
Over the many subsequent decades, the tree and
its environs hosted picnickers, religious sermonizers,
sporting events, and even ceremonies for the graduating
students of St. John=s College, on the campus of which
the Liberty Tree had resided. In the early part of the
20th century, however, the extent of the large cavity (due
to parasites that had excavated into the tree) became
quite serious. The damage had reached 56 ft (17 m) up the
interior of the tree. Remedial surgery took place in 1907,
when a landscape architect, forester, and tree surgeon,
John T. Withers, cleaned out the tree=s enormous void.
He followed with antiseptic treatment and then filled the
cavity with concrete, using sections of iron and steel
for reinforcement. The Liberty Tree required 55 tons
(50 tonnes) of concrete—reportedly the largest case of
tree surgery ever performed.
Although the famous old tree did succumb finally, it has
experienced a sort of metamorphosis. After being torn
down, its sturdy wood was sold to a guitar manufacturer,
who converted it to 400 “Liberty Guitars.”

Last edited:
here's another historic oak, filled with concrete

The Liberty Tree - A Magic Kingdom Landmark Since Opening Day | Disney World Blog Discussing Parks, Resorts, Discounts and Dining | Only WDWorld

The Liberty Tree - A Magic Kingdom Landmark Since Opening Day

When walking through the Magic Kingdom's Liberty Square it is hard not to notice the Liberty Tree. It is a massive Live Oak that has been a Magic Kingdom landmark since the park opened in 1971, but how many of you know its story?

The Liberty Tree - A Part Of American History
Everything at Disney World is part of a story. Nothing appears by chance. The Liberty Tree actually has two interesting stories to be shared. The first story has to do with the role that the Liberty Tree plays in its place in Liberty Square.

The term "Liberty Tree" held a special place during the American Revolution as it was used as a rallying point for the colonists. The original Liberty Tree was in Boston and area beneath its branches became known as "Liberty Hall." This stately elm became a meeting place, bulletin board, and symbol of rebellion for the pre-revolutionary war activities.

The single most known moment was when lanterns were hung in its branches to mark the repeal of the Stamp Act so that all could see.

On the bronze plaque located at the base of the tree (and pictured below) are the following words:

Under the boughs of the original Liberty Tree in Boston in 1765, Patriots, calling themselves "The Sons Of Liberty," gathered to protest the imposition of the Stamp Act. In the years that followed, almost every American town had a Liberty Tree -- A Living Symbol Of The American Freedom of Speech and Assembly.

Our Liberty Tree is a Southern Live Oak, Quercus Virginiana, more than 100 years old.

The Remarkable Story Of A Tree
The second story is about the tree itself and its impressive story of how it got to Liberty Square. As mentioned above the tree is a Southern Live Oak and it was originally located within the Disney World Resort property about 6 miles south of its present location. The tree was 40 feet tall and 60 feet wide and weighed over 38 tons.

At the time this was one of the largest trees ever attempted to be transplanted. It was too large to just place a chain around the trunk and lift it, since that would damage the delicate bark and potentially kill the tree. In order to move the tree and protect it, they drilled two holes through the trunk and inserted metal rods so that a crane could then lift the tree and transport it. After the tree was put into place the metal rods were removed and the original wood plugs were returned to the tree.

Over time the re-inserted wood became diseased so they had to be removed and the holes were filled with concrete which stopped the further spread of disease. Also a second, smaller live oak has been grafted onto the original tree to help give it the full shape that it enjoys now.

The Liberty Tree currently holds 13 lanterns representing the 13 original colonies.

Under Appreciated Landmark
The Liberty Tree doesn't get much attention since it is not part of a ride or a show, but it has a story that is as involved as any attraction. It makes an excellent addition to Liberty Square. The next time that you are visiting the Magic Kingdom, please take the time to slow down and look closely at the Liberty Tree and read its plaque.

Earn extra points with your family by telling them the story of how they are looking at one of the largest trees ever transplanted and how the Disney Imagineers accomplished the task.

how much money does Disney have?

they can afford the best in the world

they put concrete in the tree

here is huge fig trees with concrete in them, in a park. The other alternative would be,the tree falls over during the next storm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H22dVuh7gLo

I believe the reason arborists frown on this,is they can bolt in a few cables and charge more money, for less work- instead of laying in concrete. There are landowners who have been fleeced $10,000 over a few years, to just cable and brace a few trees.

concrete would actually be cheaper, and stronger, and not have to be maintained every year. In some cases, the arborists are feathering their own nests, with yearly tree cable/brace maintenance contracts.

Last edited:
Yeah, all nice and fuzzy.
Ya didn't answer the question. Do you work in tree care. Have you ever studied the effects of concrete in a tree, and what it does to the protection zone? Do you know what the protection zone is?

No you have not. No you do not.

"If cavities are to be filled, DO NOT USE CONCRETE OR OTHER ABRASIVE MATERIALS" Dr Alex L. Shigo, A New Tree Biology.
What page? Buy the book and read it to find out.
I do have common sense. And right now its telling me that you are not in the right place. Do not post in this thread anymore. This is for professional Arborist. Something that you are not.

Wow, a vid on youtube, must be right then, if ya seen it on the internet.

And how interesting is it that the peeps who wrote those article's teach construction and promote the use of concrete for anything/everything. But not one of them are listed as a Arborist, Botanist or Plant Biologist. I sure would take my tree care info from a concrete supplier, they don't have a unbiased opinion or anything, its obvious they must know more about trees that anyone who studies plants, say Harris, Shigo or Stern.

"There are no data to show that filling a cavity increases the strength of the trunk" - Shigo

Last edited:
I told you, do not post in this part of the forum. You do not add anything but absolute giberish. So stop. Stick to Home Owners or you may ask a Professional a question about Arboriculture in the 101. Stay out of Commercial.

You can still answer the question, its a simple yes or no. Do you work as a professional in the tree industry?

Last edited:
OK, the answer is obviously no, since you cant answer the simple question. The facts that you present are not, in fact, facts. You tube vids are not the way to educate yourself. You know nothing of me or my operation, or my outlook, well maybe a bit now. But it is clear to me now that you have absolutely no freaking idea of what you are talking about, but continue to post BS anyways. Thus I deem you a troll. Do not post any more, I will just delete it, if you continue with the nonsense that you speak of, on any tree matter. I will ultimately ban you from the site. I am not feathering my nest. I am defending my industry from people who take the word of those who do not under stand the biology of trees. Its this simple, you do not belong here.

Last edited:
He's a funny guy, asked about whether or not to remove his broken tree in the 101 forum and once he got some replies and talked to 1 company he started explaining to us the costs of running a tree business and why hollow trees should be removed.
Instant expert!!! :laugh:

Now a few web searches and he's a rotted tree stablilization engineer too! He really should post a few videos on Expert Village and become infamous.

Would seem to me that pouring concrete into the center of a tree would be a wonderful idea. Equaly as good as nailing barb wire to trees when your to lazy to pound a post. Now one could argue that nails, barb wire, concrete, etc. would make the tree a B**CH to cut down but in reality. That's for the next generation of tree workers to worry about, Beside I'll be dead and gone before anyone thinks of cutting "that" tree down.

P.S. that was sarcasm in case anyone was wondering.

My worst one was concrete at 30 feet in the air and all the way to the bottom. If the end loader wasn't right there I would probably been forced to leave it.

You have to admire the ambition of carrying cement 30 feet up a latter to fill a 8 to 10 inch diameter hole 30 feet long. Guess he was an over achiever.
Concrete pump trucks and trailers have been around since the 50s. I have had concrete pumped up and over things on various projects since the late 70s. Here's a link to some info. It has become state of the art even for house building.
https://dyconcretepumps.com/the-history-of-concrete-pumps/

Perhaps all of the arborists at this site can get together to pressure state governments to make it law in all 50 states that a bronze, aluminum or stainless warning sign designed to last at least 100 years be placed at the base of any tree filled with concrete. The plaque should list the volume of concrete pumped and the height to which it was pumped and state that the property owner is obligated to keep the plaque in good repair and visible. The description of the concrete-filled-tree would also be listed on the property deed so that future buyers understand their responsibility.

Filling trees with concrete is a practice that can lead to danger/death decades later. Trees with this done to them require specialized equipment: possibly large boom trucks and concrete saws. Saw teeth designed for cutting concrete are not the same as those that cut wood. Regular chainsaw chains are not designed for concrete. I would think that a tree with a good amount of concrete needs to be bored with a drill around it's circumference to determine the depth of the concrete within, then chain saws, till one gets close, then reciprocating saws till one hits concrete, then concrete saws - all done with a boom truck supporting the portion to be lifted after the cut.

What is the life of an arborist worth?

No worries

Yes, still an issue, not as common now but I'd day atleast 50% of all arborists will experience it one day

That and metal in trees, I've cut lag bolts in half before, horse shoes are pretty common too

Perhaps all of the arborists at this site can get together to pressure state governments to make it law in all 50 states that a bronze, aluminum or stainless warning sign designed to last at least 100 years be placed at the base of any tree filled with concrete. The plaque should list the volume of concrete pumped and the height to which it was pumped and state that the property owner is obligated to keep the plaque in good repair and visible. The description of the concrete-filled-tree would also be listed on the property deed so that future buyers understand their responsibility.

Filling trees with concrete is a practice that can lead to danger/death decades later. Trees with this done to them require specialized equipment: possibly large boom trucks and concrete saws. Saw teeth designed for cutting concrete are not the same as those that cut wood. Regular chainsaw chains are not designed for concrete. I would think that a tree with a good amount of concrete needs to be bored with a drill around it's circumference to determine the depth of the concrete within, then chain saws, till one gets close, then reciprocating saws till one hits concrete, then concrete saws - all done with a boom truck supporting the portion to be lifted after the cut.

What is the life of an arborist worth?
If we find ourselves in a tree in elysium, we fear not, for we are already dead...

Back