Clementine Tree won't bear Fruit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s37d

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi, About 5 years ago, I took a seed from a Clementine that my mother had bought - you know, the ones that come in those wooden crates - and I planted that one seed. Well, the seed actually germinated, in the winter of Boston! I gave it as much light as possible by keeping the window open right in front of the bureau it was sitting on, and watered but not beyond just moist, with fresh potting soil.
It's been roughly 5 years now of me bringing it inside during late fall/early winter, then bringing it outside again during late spring, giving it as much sun and warm air as possible yearly, and it's done great, health-wise. I've never seen any insects, fungus, bacteria, etc., of any kind damaging it.

Two things I can't figure out, though:

1)
It is only 2 feet tall still, which seems strange for 5 years.
2) I see no signs of flowers, or buds, or fruit, etc. What is the deal with this? Does it gave to get to a certain age or height before it creates flowers/fruit? Or, (my long theory incoming) is it simply a female or male tree, and it's parent was ONLY a M or F - like itself - that bore the fruit which I retrieved and germinated the seed from, therefore requiring seeds from another tree of the opposite sex near it to grow fruit? I've heard of this with certain citrus - and perhaps other trees - as being an issue that prevents fruit production unless the opposite sex/same species tree is planted near it.

In that case, though, wouldn't there still be flowers produced from it that THEN need to be pollinated? I've never seen any flowers or buds of any kind. Any help/knowledge would be much appreciated, thanks kindly.

My apple trees took about 10 years before I had apples, tree was about 8ft tall

Lots of folks grow citrus indoors, the good news about clementines is they're self-pollinating..having said that, growing from seed can be a crap shoot..that's why as mentioned above most citrus is grafted. I have a temple orange that I started 6 years ago and it's no more than 2 feet high, doubt I'll ever see fruit on it, but I can't bring myself to get rid of it..good luck.

I have a temple orange that I started 6 years ago and it's no more than 2 feet high, doubt I'll ever see fruit on it, but I can't bring myself to get rid of it..good luck.
That's almost the same exact situation as mine. I can't bring myself to get rid of it either, probably because it was a spur of the moment idea to throw it in a used paper coffee cup filled with soil - one of probably 100 different seeds in that crate of clementines - and the thing germinated! Having kept it alive all these years, putting 100's of hours into that, repotting it with fresh self-made compost, all the watering, etc; I can't just throw it out, especially since I've had to stake it 6 times, sometimes with 2 stakes at once, to keep it straight, and the leaves + branching look nice, both to visitors and myself. It also seems to be able to handle the winter to summer and summer to winter transition (bringing it in>out and out>in) perfectly fun, with not even 1 leaf lost or any damage/weakness shown.

JAXJEREMY said:
growing from seed can be a crap shoot..that's why as mentioned above most citrus is grafted"

Why is growing from seed a crap shoot? If it germinates and begins growing,isn't it then "all set"? All set, meaning, it's now on the same healthy growth path as a grafted one?
Also what is the benefit, or benefits, of grafting? I've never grafted, since I've heard it's difficult and is only used when you want to combine 2+ species. But, I've gardened for decades and was always under the impression that grafting is MORE difficult a process than seeding, propagation via splicing/cutting, etc. Everything I've ever created via cuttings, i.e. arborvitae/eastern white cedar, has grown fast and strong, just like the tree I took it from, if not better, depending on how sunny and healthy the soil is where I plant it.

Raintree said:
Also there is a chance the tree will be sterile.

What creates the chance for it to be sterile?

GenXe said:
My apple trees took about 10 years before I had apples, tree was about 8ft tall.
Thanks, this gives hope and inspiration.

Fruit trees in general, especially modern hybrid varieties, do not breed true from seed. So grafting a tree that produces the type of fruit that is desired is the most reliable way to produce good fruit. The other benefits of grafting, including hardiness and root system vigor sure don't hurt either.

Fruit trees in general, especially modern hybrid varieties, do not breed true from seed. So grafting a tree that produces the type of fruit that is desired is the most reliable way to produce good fruit. The other benefits of grafting, including hardiness and root system vigor sure don't hurt either.
This is why it's a crap shoot with seeds..you never know what you're going to get..Size/rootstock is another factor in citrus as in any other fruit tree. If you're dealing with a dwarf variety they'll stay small and should produce fruit more quickly..a standard tree usually takes much longer mature and to produce fruit.

Why is growing from seed a crap shoot? If it germinates and begins growing,isn't it then "all set"? All set, meaning, it's now on the same healthy growth path as a grafted one?
Also what is the benefit, or benefits, of grafting? I've never grafted, since I've heard it's difficult and is only used when you want to combine 2+ species. But, I've gardened for decades and was always under the impression that grafting is MORE difficult a process than seeding, propagation via splicing/cutting, etc. Everything I've ever created via cuttings, i.e. arborvitae/eastern white cedar, has grown fast and strong, just like the tree I took it from, if not better, depending on how sunny and healthy the soil is where I plant it.

What creates the chance for it to be sterile?

Thanks, this gives hope and inspiration.

Grafting isn't as hard as it looks. I've been doing it for several years, although not with citrus, which is actually supposed to be pretty easy..I've got 4 citrus trees in my yard, a couple of lemons, a red orange and a grapfruit..have always wanted to see whether I could create my own cocktail tree..

Most of my grafting has been using the whip and tongue method. Just takes practice and patience and you have to make sure the graft is wrapped good so it doesn't dry out..I've done quite a bit of grafting on peach trees and apple with good success..

For me the benefit of grafting is taking advantage of an already established tree..for example..I've got 3 peach trees, only one of which produces any peaches, but the other two are healthy. I've started grafting branches over from the tree that fruits to the other ones and this year I finally had peach on two of the 3 trees..

That's interesting. My neighbor has an english red rose grafted onto a pink rose bush, comes back nicely, she said someone did it for her years ago.

Can you graft a fruit tree onto a non-fruit tree? For instance, peach branches(that are flowering on a peach tree), could those branches be grafted onto a...birch tree, or jap maple, or a black cherry tree, etc? Basically, could the peach branches successfully graft and produce fruit on any flourishing tree that size that is simply healthy but not a fruit ree of any kind?

Grafting is most successful when the root stock and graft are closely related. Different types of citrus are closely related, and some people have successfully grafted limes, grapefruits and lemons to the same root stock. Plums, cherries, peaches, and nectarines are close enough to each other, too.

I have 3 Brown Turkey figs that are about 20 yrs old and I've been taking in/out every year - I keep them at 7 feet but they get to about 12 feet in my garage overwinter from the big windows they installed back in the 1920s when it was built. Could I graft a "good" stock onto one of my fig trees? They all produce great fig crops. Also, where do you get "good grafts"; from trees that you know of nearby and ask owner if you can cut some fruit-producing limbs off? Or various garden websites and ebay ordering them online? Or is it better to look for a nearby place that sells cuttings face to face? Thanks

Could I find a fruit-producing citrus limb and graft it onto a Fig tree?

Thanks for all your help everyone who's responded,. I've been doing and will keep doing research, learning much more about it all. Until I get really stuck, I'll try not to bother you again.

Thanks for all your help everyone who's responded,. I've been doing and will keep doing research, learning much more about it all. Until I get really stuck, I'll try not to bother you guys again.

Back