Dead Stihl ms180

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had two running issues with my 180 that couldn't be fixed with new filters and spark screen cleaning. First was the cover interfering with the throttle/choke assembly if not installed just so. 2nd was a bad carb.

I let the saw sit overnight with the plug out. This morning I cleaned up my plugs, put everything back together and saw is running fine again. I have a feeling it will die later in the day. Another part of the history on this saw-it has always smoked excessively since new. I've always called it "ole smoky". I've always thought something wasn't quite right with it. It's kind of humorous the cloud of smoke around whoever is using it. Anyway if it dies again I'll post back. Thanks!!

I gave up on running oil and gas mix years ago. Being an occasional user, I only run canned gas now, either Echo Red Armor 50-1 or Tru-Fuel 50-1. Nice thing for me is the shelf life (5 years unopened), 2 years in the fuel tank, little smoke and easier starts when I do use them. No slobbering exhaust, no plugged screens, nothing. I guess if you are a volume user, maybe gas and oil works, but not for me. Even if I was a volume user, I'd still run canned gas anyway. No muss, no fuss, no mixing and no BS.

Ok, Mr. Trapper, I can take a muffler off 🤨, but it'll be tomorrow. I've already had my shower and don't want to get greasy again. And come to think about it, I've had the saw a year last christmas. Or was it 2 years? Anyway the saw doesn't have a lot of hours on it. Maybe an amazon carb is in my future....
Ha Ha, Absolutely no disrespect meant in my comments. Just being honest. Some have come on here and don't know the hammer head from the handle.
Can't tell much from your pic. Just look at the side of the piston for scoring. If it is nice and shiny you should be good to go. Here is a link for an OEM carb. You may find one somewhere less expensive however.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2656556411...0Gj3yjn5XsPI-gowQx4OkImIR3yUpynhoCDRIQAvD_BwE

I let the saw sit overnight with the plug out. This morning I cleaned up my plugs, put everything back together and saw is running fine again. I have a feeling it will die later in the day. Another part of the history on this saw-it has always smoked excessively since new. I've always called it "ole smoky". I've always thought something wasn't quite right with it. It's kind of humorous the cloud of smoke around whoever is using it. Anyway if it dies again I'll post back. Thanks!!
Just saw this post. Might be using wrong fuel to oil mixture. Not sure what you are using. jmho :cool:

I gave up on running oil and gas mix years ago. Being an occasional user, I only run canned gas now, either Echo Red Armor 50-1 or Tru-Fuel 50-1. Nice thing for me is the shelf life (5 years unopened), 2 years in the fuel tank, little smoke and easier starts when I do use them. No slobbering exhaust, no plugged screens, nothing. I guess if you are a volume user, maybe gas and oil works, but not for me. Even if I was a volume user, I'd still run canned gas anyway. No muss, no fuss, no mixing and no BS.
At this point it seems to be running. Guess just wait and see if it quits again.
Excess smoke to me means wrong mix. I don't know what else would cause it. jmho :cool: OT

Is the carb set to factory specs?

There are not many options for carburetor settings on MS 180. The only screw is the idle speed screw, which allows more or less air to bypass the throttle shutter and because of this it changes the idle speed of the engine.

Well, the saw ran great all day, so far so good. We had a tornado attack Monday morning. I had about 50 or so trees down in my yard so chainsaws and my tractor have gotten a workout. No to mention my back. I ran 2 tanks of gas through it, no problems. Maybe it just needed exercise. Thanks for the help! I attached a before and after of my back yard. I'll be working on this mess for years.20240513_184757.jpg20240516_114424.jpg

Carb could cause this too.
I suppose it could with too rich of a setting but I think the resulting 4 cycling would prevent the saw from cutting very well. I always set the H to lean till it screams then back out to just a hint of 4 cycle. Usually good to go. I don't know if that carb has limiters on it or not. jmho :cool: OT

I suppose it could with too rich of a setting but I think the resulting 4 cycling would prevent the saw from cutting very well. I always set the H to lean till it screams then back out to just a hint of 4 cycle. Usually good to go. I don't know if that carb has limiters on it or not. jmho :cool: OT
As I wrote in this thread, the carburetor in MS 180 does not have the ability to adjust the mixture for either idle or full throttle. Do you guys even read what others write here?

There are not many options for carburetor settings on MS 180. The only screw is the idle speed screw, which allows more or less air to bypass the throttle shutter and because of this it changes the idle speed of the engine

As I wrote in this thread, the carburetor in MS 180 does not have the ability to adjust the mixture for either idle or full throttle. Do you guys even read what others write here?
It could still be dumping too much fuel in .

Well, the saw ran great all day, so far so good. We had a tornado attack Monday morning. I had about 50 or so trees down in my yard so chainsaws and my tractor have gotten a workout. No to mention my back. I ran 2 tanks of gas through it, no problems. Maybe it just needed exercise. Thanks for the help! I attached a before and after of my back yard. I'll be working on this mess for years.

Does it still smoke excessively as you wrote earlier or has it changed?

Latest posts

Back