Echo CS 501P vs Stihl MS 260

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been around since at least the 70's. I dont know about picking up speed.
In fact I could see them discontinuing their chainsaw line completely like Redmax, a direct competitor of theirs did.
Yeah maybe. I never understood why, with Japanese saw maker though. Japanese dominated with 2 & 4 stroke motorcycles over the years and make some of the best cars and so much more. Its not that they can't its they don't want too. Maybe its all business, they have their nitch and they are content.

Been around since at least the 70's. I dont know about picking up speed.
In fact I could see them discontinuing their chainsaw line completely like Redmax, a direct competitor of theirs did.
But the fact is they are picking up speed. You need to take your BLINDERS off aye.:)

Yeah maybe. I never understood why, with Japanese saw maker though. Japanese dominated with 2 & 4 stroke motorcycles over the years and make some of the best cars and so much more. Its not that they can't its they don't want too. Maybe its all business, they have their nitch and they are content.
Because Echo's bread and butter is the trimmer,blower, edger, etc market, which honestly is probably a larger market. Just like Redmax. They are old tech for a reason. They just are not an important part of their sales and they are happy with the niche they have.
The problem with this is the whole emmissions thing going forward. Investments must be made or the saws will go away. We know which way Redmax went on this.
Might add that Germany was the epicenter of two strokes for years snd the swedes were no slouches either.

walker, I think we are in complete agreement. Forgive me if I misled. By no means do I think Echo will ever run with Stihl/Husky in the logging industry. They target the home owner market and and do a great job imo. I go to bat for Echo (to give you a hard time aye) because I get tired of you and others bashing Echo saws because its slower than your 346xp or is 3 seconds slower cutting a cookie than another saw. They still make solid equipment, usually for lot less money and hopefully they will be around for a long time.

walker, I think we are in complete agreement. Forgive me if I misled. By no means do I think Echo will ever run with Stihl/Husky in the logging industry. They target the home owner market and and do a great job imo. I go to bat for Echo (to give you a hard time aye) because I get tired of you and others bashing Echo saws because its slower than your 346xp or is 3 seconds slower cutting a cookie than another saw. They still make solid equipment, usually for lot less money and hopefully they will be around for a long time.
It's not just that they are slower. They are as available, they vibrate more snd they are old tech.

It's not just that they are slower. They are as available, they vibrate more snd they are old tech.
I think “old tech” is the way to go. None of my saws are mtronic or autotune. No need for dealer resets or dealer upgrades. In the beginning i still remember guys buying autotune saws and being left to find a dealer even capable of diagnosing the problem. Stihl guys the same. Costly software diagnostic equipment wasnt widely implemented or affordable. 20 years from now a guy with a gen 1 autotune or mtronic saw will likely be out of luck. My unused 346xp purchased new in 2010 wont need a magical reset if and when i or someone else decides to put it in service. Think I”ll just keep my “old tech”.

You don't need anything software to diagnose an auto tune or m tronic saw. It's a carb with a fuel seliniod and a handful of wires. In 20 years you'll be lucky to find parts for a 346xp or most any other 2000 era saw. Just like every other 40+ year old saw out there.

You don't need anything software to diagnose an auto tune or m tronic saw. It's a carb with a fuel seliniod and a handful of wires. In 20 years you'll be lucky to find parts for a 346xp or most any other 2000 era saw. Just like every other 40+ year old saw out there.
Agree 100% on the auto tune/ m tronic. One of the best things since spring antivibe to ever happen to saws. I don't know if the old huskys and stihls will ever be put out to pasture though. If there is demand for the parts for the old saws and oem parts dry up the Chinese will happily supply them. For better or for worse. They may already be, I don't keep up with that very much, but it does appear there are Chinese Husky and Stihl clones readily available for some of the most popular models

The autotune/m-tronic discussion/argument is becoming equivalent to oil threads. I’m about to spring for a couple of m-tronic saws for commercial cutting, but I’m not delusional about what they’ll offer me. I’ll get a few good years from them, but in 10 years they won’t be worth squat, much like the 3 early gen Husqy auto tune saws I ran through. I do have a handful of “old tech” saws that still work hard that are well over 10 years old. Some that I’ve recently ordered parts for have been out of production for over 10 years. Parts are everywhere. Working on them is easy. I find them a pleasure to run and keep. M-tronic saws are very well suited for daily use, not longevity.

the guys that loved carbs said the same thing when fuel injection came out.....
I’ll admit, I never liked carbs on vehicles. I had a few carbed jeeps and had fits with them. However, 2 of them are over 40 years old, still carbed, still running. But I’ll buy m-m-tronic and auto-tune saws for work. I’ll soon be getting a 362 for the truck and an old cs440 for the pasture. I appreciate both styles.

I’ll admit, I never liked carbs on vehicles. I had a few carbed jeeps and had fits with them. However, 2 of them are over 40 years old, still carbed, still running. But I’ll buy m-m-tronic and auto-tune saws for work. I’ll soon be getting a 362 for the truck and an old cs440 for the pasture. I appreciate both styles.
Guys couldn't tune car carb either, but they sure thought they could. Just like carbs on chainsaws.
Thr fact of the matter is engines durability improved greatly with the advent of FI.

Guys couldn't tune car carb either, but they sure thought they could. Just like carbs on chainsaws.
Thr fact of the matter is engines durability improved greatly with the advent of FI.
Maybe so. But I’m pretty good with tuning saws. All my carbed saws have lasted and I keep all of them a tad richer than factory specs. I never thought I could tune a vehicle, but you are right, engine durability in vehicles has come a long way, and I won’t deny that the newer engine tech might make saws gives more service life for the average user, pro outfits, and the user that couldn’t care less about tuning. And perhaps those that think they can tune. 😊

Maybe so. But I’m pretty good with tuning saws. All my carbed saws have lasted and I keep all of them a tad richer than factory specs. I never thought I could tune a vehicle, but you are right, engine durability in vehicles has come a long way, and I won’t deny that the newer engine tech might make saws gives more service life for the average user, pro outfits, and the user that couldn’t care less about tuning. And perhaps those that think they can tune. 😊
A tad richer than factory, which is most always rich to begin with is pig rich.

My logging buddy still get 2 ish years on a saw, unless it get run over or something stupid happens.

Latest posts

Back