Groundmen say the darnedest things.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's no safety chains in fantasy land.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
Ahhhhh gotcha lol

We had a guy either forget to close the pintle but I think it was hey didn't put the pin in it and it opened cause he made it pretty far but chop fell off doing about 40, pretty nice light show from the Sparks!

Me: "For the hundredth time! Stop putting stuff in front or behind the trucks & chipper, their gunna get squashed & you can't afford them"

"What do you mean I can't afford them, those little saws (top handle) can't cost more than seventy or eighty dollars maybe 150 for the big ones."

Me: "Yup, your right, keep doing it."

I had a pretty clumsy groundy that was always falling over so wore kneepads to work ery day. Below is an excerpt of a discussion with a tree branch

Groundy : (lets go of branch and turns around so they are facing each other) Oh, really?

Tree Branch: silence

Groundy : (this time yelling) OH REEEAAAALLLYY ?!?!

Tree Branch: says nothing again

the groundy feels he has won the face off and once again attempts to drag the branch to the road

both! He seemed like such a child at that moment. Although he is only 18 so.......hes a pretty good worker actually.Not to bad, he did learn to tie the knots he needs with in a few days of being told. Now he runs to be the one to tie somthing on my rope. Hes a good kid the more I think about it.

"I'll have the jalepeno poppers for lunch"

Should we grease it? (this after I've told him every week for the past 6 months to grease it every 5 hours as shown by the meter)

"I'm gonna be a little late" (this, after he's already 10 minutes late)

Man, sounds like a bunch of you hire some real superstars for ground work! Here's a thought: start guys off more than ten dollars an hour, you just might find the quality of workers applying for that position to increase dramatically, then no one will have to start these stupid "trash on the groundy" threads every other day!

I find it quite hilarious when one bitches and moans about their hired help constantly. I find that if you don't deliberately put yourself in that position, things tend to work themselves out in the long run.

One more thing: I've never understood why climbers, bosses or foreman rag on ground workers like they're not worthy of anything but ridicule. The position exists within this industry for obvious reasons, why not respect the position, respect the man you hired for the position, and take some pride in training the right man for the position. More often than not, I find the problem to be the climbers, bosses, or foreman, not the ineptitude of the ground worker.

Back