How Many Chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can that really be cost effective? Well, for the tree service. Super cost effective for you.
I’ve posted on this before:

“I have had rational conversations with guys who use chains once, then replace them. One made a similar business case for the cost of time spent sharpening, and another said he preferred factory fresh edges. Both of these guys then sold their 'used once never sharpened' chains on eBay or CL: their net cost being comparable to what they might pay to have someone sharpen the loops. A local saw dealer periodically has a quantity of similarly used chains for sale: from what I understand, they have a customer who has worked out a 'trade in' arrangement with them”.

Some guys sell them used, and recover some money. Some build it into their cost of doing business, or their job quote .

Philbert

I’ve posted on this before:

“I have had rational conversations with guys who use chains once, then replace them. One made a similar business case for the cost of time spent sharpening, and another said he preferred factory fresh edges. Both of these guys then sold their 'used once never sharpened' chains on eBay or CL: their net cost being comparable to what they might pay to have someone sharpen the loops. A local saw dealer periodically has a quantity of similarly used chains for sale: from what I understand, they have a customer who has worked out a 'trade in' arrangement with them”.

Some guys sell them used, and recover some money. Some build it into their cost of doing business, or their job quote .

Philbert
That makes sense. Pass the cost to the customer. No “down” time on sharpening and no expense on equipment or sharpening cost.

I carry with me in the woods:
One on the saw (sharpened and ready to go).
Couple of spares in case I hit something.
A sharpened but nearly worn out "stump chain" for the situations where you know you are going to destroy the chain during cutting.

And buy more spares whenever I find a good deal. Set them aside until I need them.
Lightning Performance is correct.

I carry with me in the woods:
One on the saw (sharpened and ready to go).
Couple of spares in case I hit something.
A sharpened but nearly worn out "stump chain" for the situations where you know you are going to destroy the chain during cutting.

And buy more spares whenever I find a good deal. Set them aside until I need them.
Lightning Performance is correct.
I forgot the stump chain or roots 😔.
They won't even cut nails. The cutters shear off 😆

Kill the chain and then sell it as used.. Darn.. I wish I would have thought of that.. I always figured that when I was cutting for cash, that sharpening a loop paid less than minimum wage.. But it seemed to me ( at the time), that there was just something wrong about tossing out a perfectly good chain that just needed sharpening. To look back at it, especially if I was grinding a damaged chain.. I wasn't even close to making minimum wage for the time I spent.. Even worse on a longer loop.

I know a local guy like that. I was fixing a couple of his saws and ask about the chains. He said he cuts till dull and tosses in a pile and grabs another new one.

Back then I got 5 for a 24 under chain. He was like how many you feel like doing. I was like I hate doing chains myself as it is repetition work on the grinder. So I passed. I dont mind doing 12 or so and under for someone. But didnt want 5gal buckets full of chains dropped off.
I'm up to 6 now for 24 under.

Sometimes if just 1 chain I will just hand file while there on saw.

Attachments

• susgxx.jpg
    susgxx.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 0
Somewhere in the area of 300 chains, I once had it figured out there was over 300 feet of chain hanging on the bars plus all the spare loops.

I would be well up there- not got a specific count, but 300 is not unrealistic.
Then there are the rolls of chain with more presets than you can point a stick at and all the chain loops hanging from hooks that are not with bars or attached to saws.
Folk around here know, if they cannot get to a store and NEED a chain or a repair- who to call on.

Kill the chain and then sell it as used.. Darn.. I wish I would have thought of that.. I always figured that when I was cutting for cash, that sharpening a loop paid less than minimum wage.. But it seemed to me ( at the time), that there was just something wrong about tossing out a perfectly good chain that just needed sharpening. To look back at it, especially if I was grinding a damaged chain.. I wasn't even close to making minimum wage for the time I spent.. Even worse on a longer loop.
This has me rethinking taking the time to sharpen vs buying a new chain.

This has me rethinking taking the time to sharpen vs buying a new chain.
Not to provoke an old preference ‘fight’, but batches of used chains clean up fast on a grinder, with a little practice.

So, a third option could be to let your dull chains collect, a bit, then batch sharpen on a rainy day.

Philbert

Not to provoke an old preference ‘fight’, but batches of used chains clean up fast on a grinder, with a little practice.

So, a third option could be to let your dull chains collect, a bit, then batch sharpen on a rainy day.

Philbert
This is my current method. And no ‘fight’ from me, to each their own.

Philbert
This^

Autograb CBN.
Never going back.
Files in the feild are limited now to brake time when milling or bucking. Killing is swap and run.

About to change every csm to a standoff bolt on bar for quick swaps mounted in the mill. That will save time onsite.
I'd like to see you toss and replace my 166dl 404 every run.

Latest posts

Back