Husqvarna 350

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maine choppa

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Got a chance to grab a husqvarna 350 off craigs for $125. Guy says it's quirky. Just wondering if it's even worth messing with or what guys thought of this saw?

Most of them i saw in real life had a wrecked piston so I assume they may not last as well as some other models.
Most people here seem to like them and builders like upgrading them with a 346xp piston and cylinder .
Before buying it I would remove the muffler and observe the piston and cylinder condition. If it is good with a decent bar and chain $125 should not be a bad price provided no broken major parts.

I like those saws quite a lot. Compared to more modern farm/ranch saws, anyway (e.g., ms271).

I think it's totally worth messing with. But...around here, a quirky 350 is a lot more like a $75 saw than a 125 dollar saw.

I now see, the OP is pretty close to "around here."

Roy

Most of them i saw in real life had a wrecked piston so I assume they may not last as well as some other models.
Most people here seem to like them and builders like upgrading them with a 346xp piston and cylinder .
Before buying it I would remove the muffler and observe the piston and cylinder condition. If it is good with a decent bar and chain $125 should not be a bad price provided no broken major parts.
That's what I was thinking. I guess I just have to find our what "quirky" means

I like those saws quite a lot. Compared to more modern farm/ranch saws, anyway (e.g., ms271).

I think it's totally worth messing with. But...around here, a quirky 350 is a lot more like a $75 saw than a 125 dollar saw.

I now see, the OP is pretty close to "around here."

Roy
I guess I just need to find out what quirky actually is

350's were great saws for what they were they are fun to play with cause you can normally pick them up dirt cheap. I wouldn't give $125.00 for one, I'm in agreement with the above $75.00 ish mark is more like it.

If cylinder and piston is not scored, offer 80 and if he counters you at 100 you will still have a decent deal. If piston and cyl are scored, aftermarket versions are also avail.

Thanks for all the info guys. At this point the seller won't even get back to me in regards to what "quirky" is so I think I'm leaving it alone

I think that's the smart move... would be very easy to sink more money than you'd really like into that saw. It's a good model but not such a great one that it's worth gambling on. "Quirky" can be soooooooo many things, and can mean different things to different people. You'd either want to get hands on it and make your own determination (and it still may not be "worth" $125) or else you offer only a nominal amount for it... $50-75 . Buddy not replying to you seems like he doesn't want the hassle of someone who's asking pertinent questions and won't just cough up his asking price, or close to it.

It has a plastic crankcase that can be fun to seal up to the aluminum riser. Watch for 346, 351, 353 pro built. The muffler bolts fall out and people kept running them, melting the oil reservoir and chain brake. They tend to strip the muffler threads. The plastic intake clamp was a mistake, and caused air leaks melting many pistons. The isolators thread in plastic and I've seen them stripped. Prone to leaking bar oil, the entire series. Other than that, best saw ever made.

It has a plastic crankcase that can be fun to seal up to the aluminum riser. Watch for 346, 351, 353 pro built. The muffler bolts fall out and people kept running them, melting the oil reservoir and chain brake. They tend to strip the muffler threads. The plastic intake clamp was a mistake, and caused air leaks melting many pistons. The isolators thread in plastic and I've seen them stripped. Prone to leaking bar oil, the entire series. Other than that, best saw ever made.
I agree with all dsell’s comments. I’ve had my 350 since new and its given great service for farm and firewood work. Definitely do the air intake mod if you proceed. See https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/264297821894 The original clamp relied on a plastic nose to take all the clamp tension.

Have to strip it down to the base and seal it with Threebond 1184, have to seal the intake with a metal clamp.They run really well when not sucking air.75 bucks is an OK price for a rebuilder.I would not run any of them without taking them apart and sealing them up.

Have to strip it down to the base and seal it with Threebond 1184, have to seal the intake with a metal clamp.They run really well when not sucking air.75 bucks is an OK price for a rebuilder.I would not run any of them without taking them apart and sealing them up.
Thanks for the info. I think I will pass on this particular saw but will keep my eye open for another one.

Those aformentioned plastic clamps can last several years but you need to keep an eye on them or listen for the saw running lean. I've never needed to work on the saws or they would have already been changed. I wonder if anyone has changed the clamp without taking the saw all apart..

Latest posts

Back