I saw it on Ebay/Craigslist

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did I miss something? Seems to be too many bidders to be some kind of game.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Homelite-55...d=100034&prg=1079&rk=5&rkt=8&sd=261356041051&

The true value is determined by the third bidder. He dropped out at $650.
In most of the high number auctions only 2 bidders shoot for the sky.

Sellers or speculators base the saw value on what some obsessed collector paid for a saw but
next time it will usually only pull 5 dollars over what the third bidder offered.

While browsing craigslist, I came across an ad for a Stihl ms390. I may not know saws very well but is this really a 390? I don't know why but something just looks off.

http://bloomington.craigslist.org/grd/4249563932.html
This looks like a mongrel to me. It should have flippy caps if it is a 390. More like an 039 with a replacement recoil. I wouldn't do it for $400. It was only like $429 when new.

In the charlotte nc CL there is a 268xp. Says it ran good til the pull chord broke. $150 It's just listed as husqvarna chainsaw. It looks pretty nice. If I were closer I might be tempted to look.

That's definitely one of those "closer look" kinda things. Funny how many saws listed on ebay/CL/etc 'just' have a broken starter. Of course on many of them the starter is broken because the guy's been flailing away on that rope for 2 hours trying to get it lit because of a roached p/c, gummed up carb, rotted fuel lines, bad gas, etc. You'll never know what's actually wrong with the saw until you check it out.......

That's definitely one of those "closer look" kinda things. Funny how many saws listed on ebay/CL/etc 'just' have a broken starter. Of course on many of them the starter is broken because the guy's been flailing away on that rope for 2 hours trying to get it lit because of a roached p/c, gummed up carb, rotted fuel lines, bad gas, etc. You'll never know what's actually wrong with the saw until you check it out.......
so what's yer point aaron?

so what's yer point aaron?

My point was that many times people list saws with "it ran great until the rope broke" type statements in the listing...............and that with those a closer look (rather than taking the seller's statement as gospel) is a good idea. The fellow that posted the link has said "closer look" and I was agreeing with him.

Often times the seller really doesn't know jack about saws and what make them work. A few years ago I got 5 free parts saws from an old fellow who'd replaced "those damn old Homelites that are always so hard to start" with a couple new Stihls. Turns out every one of those poor XL-12/SXL saws had a badly roached P/C, packed air filters, and other issues. Well yeah they're hard to start when they're roached.....

Last edited:
I bought a stihl 290 for about $6 that had an issue with the starter dog not engaging. Brought it home, put a different recoil on it, poured in some gas, and it fired off/ran on the 6th pull. Similar experience with a couple of other saws.

Back