New truck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Treeman14

Treeman14

Addicted to ArboristSite
I'm in the market for a new multi-purpose tree service vehicle. I have tentatively decided on buying from Southco Industries and would appreciate any comments, suggestions, criticism, whatever. Here is a brief description of the vehicle:
* 2002 International 4300 Series, DT 466 (215 HP) & MD-3060 Automatic Transmission, 120" CA, 33,000# GVW, Air brakes
* National N80-32/38 Knuckleboom Crane mounted behind the cab
* Southco MP-14 Multi-purpose Forestry Body with removable tops, 4 underbody tool boxes, 4-point strobe light system

This is a substantial investment and I want to get as much information as possible before committing to it.

Thank you!!!

treeclimber165

treeclimber165

Member A.K.A Skwerl
I have had a few years experience using various trucks. I like the knuckleboom for its versatility. Our knuckleboom truck was set up with caps so we could chip into it, or pull the caps to load logs. I can tell you from field experience that it never worked that way. Dedicate it as a wood truck, don't bother messing with caps so you can chip into it. The time it takes to remove/replace the caps is a mental drain on the crew and the time is better spent by sending 2 trucks on the job. Wood removal is what stops most trim companies from messing with removals, and you can open up a whole new market in your company by having the capacity to move wood. Congrats on your new truck, and may you make lots of money and provide a good service too! :)

Deere John

Deere John

ArboristSite Operative
I owned an Int 1900 (me thinks) single axle with an Asplundh 45' boom and built-in drum chipper - 3208 Cat power but very solid and dependable truck for the application. I'll post some pictures here once I figure out how. (Darin - how??)

Prior to that truck, I also owned another 'Binder with a 36" Pitman line boom. My first bigger truck, and the one that taught me that there are booms, and then there are forestry booms. Anyways, it had the DT 466 with a 5x2 trans. Excellent power train - more efficient than the Cat, and more torque for the hills. I pulled my equipment trailer with this truck, and it worked well.

It would sure have been nice to have a crane truck for the bigger removals and wood removal. I used my backhoe and packed it on the equipment trailer, but it wasn;t the best. As a daily driver, the truck you are planning should earn you steady revenue - maybe more obvious in labour and time savings than anything else. Congrats.