Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to the site! Maybe it's time for you to buy an older poulan to play with and enjoy. I cut 5 cords of wood a year and use nothing but Poulans made from the late 70's to mid 90's. They are easy to work on and most parts are still available if you look around.
Yes, I would like to get another old Poulan, I know the new ones aren't as good anymore, but the old ones I like.
Years ago, I didn't use to work on my own chainsaws, so I took them to the local repair shop. I had few old Poulans I had picked up at good deal, on a local auction at that time, they weren't running so I took them to him. He called me up a few days after I had taken it in and said that the parts were obsolete and mostly unavailable. So, I told him he could keep them, I took off some of the good parts, chain, spark plug, bar etc. I still have these parts, except for the bar, which I gave to a friend. Anyway, about a year later when I started working on my own I found out how easily available the parts were, and how much the older Poulans were valued by woodcutters, I'm not sure what happened to my Poulans, but I whis I still had them.

Wanted to see what the cylinder looked like under the dark stale mix coating inside cylinder. Nice bore under there.

Poulan 365 60cc cylinder before and after cleaning.

Didn’t even need my first 2 steps. Just did the 3rd one with fresh crosshatch.

I listed the set FS in CR FB group if anyone needs it here.

Fits PP365 poulan 3500 craftsman black gold 3.7.
Add the impulse nipple in cylinder base and can be used on poulan 380 3750 330 3450.
IMO get a new 49mm ring.

Attachments

• p365zzzzzzz.jpg
    p365zzzzzzz.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 0
  • p365zzzzzzzz.jpg
    p365zzzzzzzz.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 0
  • p365z.jpg
    p365z.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 0
  • p365zz.jpg
    p365zz.jpg
    316.3 KB · Views: 0
  • p365zzzzz.jpg
    p365zzzzz.jpg
    440.5 KB · Views: 0
  • p365zzz.jpg
    p365zzz.jpg
    400.9 KB · Views: 0
  • p365zzzz.jpg
    p365zzzz.jpg
    396.8 KB · Views: 0
  • p365zzzzzz.jpg
    p365zzzzzz.jpg
    460.4 KB · Views: 0
Hi guys

Im new to working on these old saws. I have quite a few and decided time to learn how to fix them up myself. It costs to much to take them in for carb kits and fuel lines. Im reading on here and learning as I go. Really enjoying it too! I have done the carbs on 2 3400's a 4000 and a 2600. I have gutted the mufflers on all of them. What a difference!

I have one 3400 that I have playing with. Trial and error. A few errors too already. Believe to much of what read everywhere about these old saws. Everybody has a little bit different ideas about what and how to do things. Lots of YouTube too. Now for my 3400. First I gutted the muffler. Cut slit in the side and opened it up like a 4000. Drilled two holes in lower front as well. Drilled a bunch of small holes on the back side of airlifter cover for better air flow. Ran it like that for awhile cutting oak firewood. Cut pretty good just really load. So the other day it was raining I decided to pull the 3400 all apart. I read a forum somewhere about a guy making a sharpie line around the bottom for the cylinder and trimming the bottom down the thickness of the line. My sharpie was to thick. So I did that too. I filed and filed then sanded it smooth. I tried the cylinder back on with no gasket. Oops! The piston hit the top. So I made a really nice gasket and put it back on again. ****! it still hits. So now I least had a gasket to trace. Put two gaskets in tightened it down. Damnit I really took toooo much off! So now with three base gaskets in it turns over nice. Finally! I watched a YouTube video about a guy grinding half of the timing key off so I did the same with a file. I took the cylinder back off to try luck at porting a little. Brought it over to a buddy's who has ported his own big work saws for timber falling in Alaska Washington Oregon and California. He opened up the exhaust side up to exit side size. It was really choked down. He roughed up the intake side and opened it up just a little bit. We took the edge off the transfer ports and sloped them down smooth. I smoothed out the plastic intake piece and opened up the sharp corners. I put it all back together and fired it up. Really has a crack and bark to it. Seems really peppy. The whole saw really jumps when you crack the throttle. I just put a new 20" Oregon bar chain on it last night from menards $36 with 11% off $34. Have not cut with it yet.

I checked the compression on it 120 cold. Warmed it up checked again 125. I bought sodder last night to check the squish too. Have not checked it yet. I was looking on the inner net for new rings. Thought that might help it out some more. I find ProLine, Caber, Lil Red Barn, Itaco and some no name ones E-bay. What be the best rings for it? How do i fit them properly for most compression? I did this all flying by the seat of my pants. Just trying it for myself. Dont care if it blows up. I have another 3400 jug and piston in my parts saw. Did Duke's ever produce a 4000 end kit for these saws? Or anybody else? Please dont scold me for doin dumb things on this and just winging it not knowing what the hell I'm doing. Sorry just trying to learn. Thanks in advance for any help or advise.

Back