Please recommend a chain saw for my needs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not bought a new chain saw in 10 years. One of the reasons is because there are really good used saws out there. One of them is my Stihl 026 PRO that I picked up for $220 shipped:
Stihl 026 PRO-2.JPG
This saw will pull an 18" bar and has never given me any trouble. I added the outer bumper spike and installed a new bar. It's a keeper. Of course, I could have bought an MS261C for $590.

3120xp with finger ports or a 090 with the same. That's what my next saw will be if I find the right one.

Thank you for the suggestions. I would like to stick with Stihl or Husqvarna. It sounds like a 261c is a solid choice. What would the husqvarna competitor be? I am looking for the commercial grade of easy maintenance, readily available parts, and reliability. Although Echo is not terrible, I just don't recall it as on par with the other two brands. I plan on keeping the saw a while. I still have a 1987 scag mower. Granted I repowered it with a modern kawasaki motor about 8 years ago, but the design is solid and it always works. That is what I'm looking for. So, 5 cords or so may not be a lot of wood to those in the business, but I am looking for a saw that when I pick it up, it simply works. What is the husky competitor and how does it stack up to the stihl. Also, what size bar is ideal and versatile? Thanks

Thank you for the suggestions. I would like to stick with Stihl or Husqvarna. It sounds like a 261c is a solid choice. What would the husqvarna competitor be? I am looking for the commercial grade of easy maintenance, readily available parts, and reliability. Although Echo is not terrible, I just don't recall it as on par with the other two brands. I plan on keeping the saw a while. I still have a 1987 scag mower. Granted I repowered it with a modern kawasaki motor about 8 years ago, but the design is solid and it always works. That is what I'm looking for. So, 5 cords or so may not be a lot of wood to those in the business, but I am looking for a saw that when I pick it up, it simply works. What is the husky competitor and how does it stack up to the stihl. Also, what size bar is ideal and versatile? Thanks

Sounds like you need an Echo CS590, simple and reliable.

People often believe the big names are always the best, most reliable, end all be all. This is simply not the case. I have owned more than 100 saws now, from all the popular manufactures and some that no longer exist. Does Stihl make fine products? yes! so does with Husqvarna. However other brands make just as good, and in some cases better more reliable products, often at a lower cost as well. Echo has saws like the cs590 that are dead reliable and more simple and easy to work on, more so than any of the Stihl and Husqvarna models you're interested in. To under stand what makes a saw "Commercial Grade" or "Military Grade" We first need understand what makes a piece of equipment is made. Generally speaking it comes down to the materials used, mostly a vertically split magnesium case. Other things like are involved obviously, but my reply is already long enough, so I'll stop there. My point is the Echo CS590 is a pro saw in every aspect that matters, except price, and maybe weight, it's not a perfect saw, none are, but it will last most a lifetime. Echo make very good products, the cylinder and case castings are among the best I've ever seen, and the cranks are nice an strong.

This is not to say the 261 isn't an amazing saw, it absolutely is, but you pay for that, and it is more complicated than a saw like the cs590. The Husqvarna 550xp is the competitor to the Stihl 261, and it's not a saw I can recommend in good faith, way too many problems. Some say the issues are in the past, I have strong doubts about that. I own a 550xp and have owned a ms261, the 261 is a better saw in every conceivable way IMHO. On 50cc saws I like to run an 18" bar. The cs590 usually comes with what Echo calls a 20" bar and chain.

Now if you just want to stick with one of the cool names, and you have a dealer you like, I totally understand that too.:)

The MS 026, 260, 260 PRO have the higher reputation then any other saw.
Now is follow by the 261.
Why would you buy something less then the best?
Take what the majority say: 261!
Good luck.

Husqvarna 550xp autotune is equivalent to the stihl 261 mtronic. I don’t think you would be wrong with either one. It really comes down to personal preference and local dealer support.

yep either would be a joy to run compared to that 136...choice depends upon dealer support, even if its just for parts though you can get 99% of husky parts online, that is something you cannot say for stihl.

The cs590 certainly is good value and a decent saw to operate. If you run it alongside an ms362 or a 562xp some of the reasons for its price become clear.

That’s all I can say about that..

Having owned all three, "still own a 562 that doesn't take kindly to heat" I thought it was very clear the Stihl 362 and Husky 562 are over priced when compared to the 590. IMHO The Echo's quality and power is there, it's just a little heavier than the other two. I consider the Echo equal or ahead of the the Husky and Stihl in other areas, simplicity, quality and a wide torque curve come to mind.

I have one of the first run MS260's. Bought new. Its about 16 years old now and I ran it last night cutting up a big ash tree! (an ash tree that was very large.....for clarity). I absolutely love that saw. Cuts like a little monster, light weight, nimble, and VERY reliable. Always starts and runs awesome. No matter what saw you buy, if you want to keep it reliable just make sure you run good non-ethanol high octane gasoline with a high quality synthetic fuel stabilizing 2-stroke oil. Or, preferably, buy the canned premix from your local farm store! She'll always run for you that way!!!

Sounds like you need an Echo CS590, simple and reliable.

People often believe the big names are always the best, most reliable, end all be all. This is simply not the case. I have owned more than 100 saws now, from all the popular manufactures and some that no longer exist. Does Stihl make fine products? yes! so does with Husqvarna. However other brands make just as good, and in some cases better more reliable products, often at a lower cost as well. Echo has saws like the cs590 that are dead reliable and more simple and easy to work on, more so than any of the Stihl and Husqvarna models you're interested in. To under stand what makes a saw "Commercial Grade" or "Military Grade" We first need understand what makes a piece of equipment is made. Generally speaking it comes down to the materials used, mostly a vertically split magnesium case. Other things like are involved obviously, but my reply is already long enough, so I'll stop there. My point is the Echo CS590 is a pro saw in every aspect that matters, except price, and maybe weight, it's not a perfect saw, none are, but it will last most a lifetime. Echo make very good products, the cylinder and case castings are among the best I've ever seen, and the cranks are nice an strong.

This is not to say the 261 isn't an amazing saw, it absolutely is, but you pay for that, and it is more complicated than a saw like the cs590. The Husqvarna 550xp is the competitor to the Stihl 261, and it's not a saw I can recommend in good faith, way too many problems. Some say the issues are in the past, I have strong doubts about that. I own a 550xp and have owned a ms261, the 261 is a better saw in every conceivable way IMHO. On 50cc saws I like to run an 18" bar. The cs590 usually comes with what Echo calls a 20" bar and chain.

Now if you just want to stick with one of the cool names, and you have a dealer you like, I totally understand that too.:)
I've never run an Echo saw but I own an Echo string trimmer and it's good quality. Our local Rural King store sells Echo saws and I have looked them over and they feel very heavy to me especially the 590. If you're a young guy weight may not matter but at my age weight to power is a major concern. In weight the 590 feels similar to my Stihl 391 that is a decent homeowner saw but too heavy for the power it has.
I have no experience with Husky and from what I hear their pro saws are high quality and run well. I can say that the 261 Stihl is perfect for me. Adequate power and light weight. When I got my 1st 026 I thought I had found the ultimate saw but I found the 261 to be a little better.

I was at a huge flea market Sunday and a guy was selling a 136 for $40 started on the second pull and seemed to run good. Plastics were a bit faded. I passed. How are they? Are they a good saw?

I can't complain about the 136 at all. I have had it for about 18 years and the damn thing works every time. On top of that, I hate it because it is the saw that replaced my stolen brand new farm boss. So, I have always hated it, yet it works every time for me. From what I am reading, I am leaning hard to the 261. Thanks guys.

Back