Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because the pawls are on the flywheel.

When the saw shuts down, it places stresses upon the starter assembly.

Pulling on the rope before shutting down helps relieve this stress.
I guess im still confused. I thought the pawls engage when the rope is pulled on. But on huskys the pawls are on da flywheel whereas stihls are in the recoil pulley.

OK ...

When the pawls are on the flywheel, they 'open' when the machine is at operating RPM. They 'close' when the RPMs slow down.

When the pawls are on the recoil, this issue isn't present.

The pawls are centrifugal to clear the recoil when running. When the flywheel slows down enough the pawls come back in and catch the recoil which gives the pull rope an incredible jerk when the motor comes to a stop. Enough to break your knuckles if the handle slaps you across the back of the hand when it whiplashes from it.
I've had the misfortune of getting my hand blasted a few times this way and each time I thought of Rich pulling those ropes when he hits the kill switch.

It'll also snap pawls right off.

Sometimes when you shut off the engine the compression makes the piston turn back in the cylinder. The flywheel turns back and catches the pawls,jerking the starter cord. Even the China Zenoah clone that i was working few days ago is doing that every time.

Sometimes when you shut off the engine the compression makes the piston turn back in the cylinder. The flywheel turns back and catches the pawls,jerking the starter cord. Even the China Zenoah clone that i was working few days ago is doing that every time.
OK that finally makes sense. Because it doesn't matter if the pawls pull in as the flywheel slows down, as the engagement splines on the pulley are ramped - they won't grip if the flywheel does not change direction. But if the engine kicks backwards then it can grab.

So, is this now to be considered standard practice on any saw, or only on certain saws, or to be discouraged? I'd never heard, nor seen this done until seeing it on certain videos.

You would not need to do this on a fairbanks Morris found on some older saws, as the only thing on the flywheel is the cup. Pulling the cord on a fairbanks could put more wear on the starter cup.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Back