Recently aquired 191T

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fletchman919

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I did my homework and researched what used top handled saw that I would want to buy. The 200T is what everyone recommended. That was my plan and considered a 201T if the price was right on one. That's not what happened. I found myself getting suckered into a 191T that I knew nothing about until after I bought it. I have since read everything I could find on them and learned that it's a pita to work on, under powered for how big it is and have common oiler issues. 🤦‍♂️

I ran it for about 10 minutes yesterday and I'm surprisingly pleased with it after reading many negative reviews. I need the saw for maintaining trails and I'll never be climbing a tree with it. I'll call you guys for that! It's much lighter than what I'm used to and cuts. Good enough...

It didn't have any chain oil in it and I didn't have any with me, so I ran it on small cuts just to see how it ran. Hopefully the oiler works.

I have a few questions that I hope to get answered here.

First off, I paid $200 for the saw. Should I try to sell it now or am I ok to keep it?

Secondly, are there any mods that I could do to it that would make a drastic difference?

And lastly, where's the best place to get parts and a manual? Should I attempt to work on it, or should I take it to the shop? Are parts interchangeable with other models?

I appreciate any advise.

I'm here to gain some information and maybe some solid advise. I see that you rebuild saws. Do you wish to share any knowledge you have on the 191T?
Sell it.
You can't find most of the parts that fail. I may part out the one here that runs. It needs an air filter and top AV mount. The mount I can make. Pistons are available AM. The rest needs to be good.
Have not checked the oil pump parts availability.

You paid too much but if it cuts and oils run it until it fails. Fresh built stuff brings more money.

Pics?

Sell it.
You can't find most of the parts that fail. I may part out the one here that runs. It needs an air filter and top AV mount. The mount I can make. Pistons are available AM. The rest needs to be good.
Have not checked the oil pump parts availability.

You paid too much but if it cuts and oils run it until it fails. Fresh built stuff brings more money.

Pics?
After reading the reviews, I was thinking I paid too much. Win some, lose some...I reckon I'll try to sell it. If it doesn't sell, I'll run it until it stops, then throw it on a shelf. Thank you for the info and advise!

After getting home from work yesterday, I checked the oiler and it works. So I sharpened and adjusted the chain and decided to give it a chance. Honestly, I loved it. I used it to clean up some over grown honeysuckle and fallen limbs on the back side of my barn. I couldn't find a thing to find fault in. It works flawlessly and is lightweight. One hand 90% of the time. I've decided to keep it until it dies. It's an oddball and hard to work on, but it performs plenty well for the trail saw I intend to use it for. Thanks for the replies! If anyone has a lead on a parts diagram, manual or a place to order parts I would appreciate it. Hope yall have a good and safe day!

Yes the 200is the best of the best. It sounds like you are more homeowner. It will do what you need.
But then, I still have an 009.
Yes sir, I'm a homeowner and I have two wooded properties. One of them is full of utv trails and has a lot of dead Ash trees. I get downed trees with every storm. I also burn a lot of wood, so I use my saws a lot. Not near as much as you guys, but more than the average fella. I need good saws that perform and last. I've had my ms460 magnum for 20 years. It's been so good to me that I only want stihl saws. I've had a few other cheaper brands years ago, but they always ended up having issues. It's too soon to tell, but the 191t seems like it will fit the bill for me. I'm not familiar with the 009, but I'll look into it. I plan on a 200T when this one fades away unless the 009 or something else would end up working better for me. In hindsight, I wish I would've bought a 200 to begin with.

Well, the 009 is 40 years old, so don't go looking for one unless you want a vintage project. Parts getting scarce. Use the 191 and enjoy it. The secret is a sharp chain, but I think you know that.
Oh no, I don't need more projects rn. Lol! I appreciate the encouragement! Yes, I have learned how important a sharp chain is. I keep them sharp. 👍🏻

Latest posts

Back