Rope Bridge Help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GhostRedwood98

Reaction score
Would Sterling Tritech be a suitable rope for a rope bridge? I really like the feel of it and was wondering if more experienced climbers would be able to give me an answer.

At $4.28 per foot, that will be a damned expensive rope bridge. I am presuming that you are talking about a pedestrian bridge where the people walk across a single line and have "hand rail" on either side. If that's not what you had in mind, you need to let us know a bit more about your bridge.

Regarding Tritech rope:
  • The technora outer sheath is very well suited to the abrasion and cut resistance you would like to have in a rope bridge.
  • The Dyneema core will be very strong, and have very little stretch; this is also desirable.
  • I didn't find any diameter available except for 11mm, which I would consider a "do not use" thickness. That is a bit tiny to walk on, and if we are talking about the two "hand rails" of the conventional 3-rope bridge, that is a bit small for almost anyone to hang on to if their feet slip off.
  • As a safety lead for attaching to a rolling attachment to an overhead line, it would be perfectly suited for that.
If I were building a rope bridge, for my weight-bearing rope I'd go with a very thick rope that will never get slick and will have a high strength rating while being rather inexpensive. 3-strand polyester rope comes to mind. It is cheap and strong, as well as being more resistant to fraying that braided ropes. Any cross-ties will be super easy to splice through the 3-strand, also.
I'd recommend 1" thick rope similar to this very highly rated rigging line:
Three strand is very easy to splice reliably, and this will improve the strength of any attachments and inspection as well.

I'd go with a pretty hefty rope for the hand rails too, but not a full 1".

At $4.28 per foot, that will be a damned expensive rope bridge. I am presuming that you are talking about a pedestrian bridge where the people walk across a single line and have "hand rail" on either side. If that's not what you had in mind, you need to let us know a bit more about your bridge.

Regarding Tritech rope:
  • The technora outer sheath is very well suited to the abrasion and cut resistance you would like to have in a rope bridge.
  • The Dyneema core will be very strong, and have very little stretch; this is also desirable.
  • I didn't find any diameter available except for 11mm, which I would consider a "do not use" thickness. That is a bit tiny to walk on, and if we are talking about the two "hand rails" of the conventional 3-rope bridge, that is a bit small for almost anyone to hang on to if their feet slip off.
  • As a safety lead for attaching to a rolling attachment to an overhead line, it would be perfectly suited for that.
If I were building a rope bridge, for my weight-bearing rope I'd go with a very thick rope that will never get slick and will have a high strength rating while being rather inexpensive. 3-strand polyester rope comes to mind. It is cheap and strong, as well as being more resistant to fraying that braided ropes. Any cross-ties will be super easy to splice through the 3-strand, also.
I'd recommend 1" thick rope similar to this very highly rated rigging line:
Three strand is very easy to splice reliably, and this will improve the strength of any attachments and inspection as well.

I'd go with a pretty hefty rope for the hand rails too, but not a full 1".

I think he's asking about a rope bridge on a saddle, not to walk across

Ok! That's a pretty hilarious mistake on my part, eh?

door forget GIF

With that new perspective, I'd have some reservations. That rope is rated for life support, but I don't know how well a three layer rope would hold a knot. I'm pretty sure it is impossible to splice. Sherrill sells 1 foot sections with two stiched eyes. 1 foot long might be a bit long.

https://sherrilltree.com/sterling-tritech-11mm-per-foot/

door forget GIF

With that new perspective, I'd have some reservations. That rope is rated for life support, but I don't know how well a three layer rope would hold a knot. I'm pretty sure it is impossible to splice. Sherrill sells 1 foot sections with two stiched eyes. 1 foot long might be a bit long.

Tritech knots fine, it's a little stiff but holds knots once they are set from my limited experience with it

I still stand by 16 strand being the end all be all tho

I prefer double braid for most situations, or 12-strand of most any kind, due to the ease of splicing it.

16 strand handles nicely, but that can be a bit variable according to how tightly it is wound.
I was speaking specifically for bridge rope, 16 strand is best, holds up way longer than anything else ive tried
for other rope I run 3,12,16,24, and 48 strand, hollow, solid, double braid and kernmantle

door forget GIF

You're good haha thank you!

door forget GIF

😂 I only looked at this thread because I wanted to see if the bridge was finished.

Latest posts

Back