Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here’s one of my “fry only” skillets. Check out that mirrored finish!
75971B7A-833A-4E76-8FE4-56C60E5AB396.jpeg

Vinegar soak to remove rust. Also great for axe heads.
067EDCD0-4F54-40C7-8403-643766817C9D.jpeg

Lye tank for removing gunk. Usually soak in lye first, scrub with a metal scouring pad, then use vinegar soak if needed. Or straight to the vinegar if something is very rusty.
047D0B4C-6BB4-47A6-AAB9-843514980BA5.jpeg

Scrubber I use (with or without soap) with hot water to clean CI
44C34DD3-D78A-458E-8EC7-F8C334C43EAF.jpeg

This is a recently restored skillet that’s part of the “fry only” set. Seasoning is still pretty thin
E33D77DE-7220-4299-9148-FDDFED93AE94.jpeg

A cowboy skillet and Zogger lid awaiting their baths
4C66A5D5-669F-4896-A52B-240B45A1A9ED.jpeg

This skillet has a rough surface as it was very rusty when I acquired it. Super rusty pieces are a ***** to clean and I avoid now unless they are really desirable. #7 skillets are the perfect size for pie.
518283B0-982C-4596-96BB-A00477DAD39E.jpeg

This is a skillet from my great grandparents that is an every day user. As you can see, not much seasoning but with proper oil and temp control it’s still very non stick. I’ll be using this later to bake my daughter’s birthday cake.
B7249390-149F-47B4-9DA6-17A3EEF7EB39.jpeg

There was I believe 4 posts reported as political. I deleted what I thought was all 4. If I missed one or missed a post that was not reported I simply made a mistake. Nothing inconsistent just human err. I just went back and deleted several more and I hope I got them all.

Thank you for clearing that up!

Merry Christmas!

Here’s one of my “fry only” skillets. Check out that mirrored finish!
View attachment 877088

Vinegar soak to remove rust. Also great for axe heads.
View attachment 877089

Lye tank for removing gunk. Usually soak in lye first, scrub with a metal scouring pad, then use vinegar soak if needed. Or straight to the vinegar if something is very rusty.
View attachment 877090

Scrubber I use (with or without soap) with hot water to clean CI
View attachment 877091

This is a recently restored skillet that’s part of the “fry only” set. Seasoning is still pretty thin
View attachment 877092

A cowboy skillet and Zogger lid awaiting their baths
View attachment 877093

This skillet has a rough surface as it was very rusty when I acquired it. Super rusty pieces are a ***** to clean and I avoid now unless they are really desirable. #7 skillets are the perfect size for pie.
View attachment 877094

This is a skillet from my great grandparents that is an every day user. As you can see, not much seasoning but with proper oil and temp control it’s still very non stick. I’ll be using this later to bake my daughter’s birthday cake.
View attachment 877095

Some real beauties in there. Nice work on the restores.

ScotchBrite or emery cloth with a random orbit sander?

Philbert
Then a little wd40 to keep them from rusting ;).

I really do use dawn on ours, if she wants to rinse them with water and all I don't mind, but when I'm washing dishes I'm the boss :laughing: .
I'm the one who oils them too though.
Will all these posts be deleted because they are off topic lol.

:laugh: Then a little wd40 to keep them from rusting ;).

I really do use dawn on ours, if she wants to rinse them with water and all I don't mind, but when I'm washing dishes I'm the boss :laughing: .
I'm the one who oils them too though.
Will all these posts be deleted because they are off topic lol.
40:1? OIL THREAD!!

Restored Zogger lid (left) versus Lodge factory seasoning (right). Second photo shows factory Lodge seasoning flaking off.
View attachment 877025
View attachment 877024
It is better to sand the lodge iron pots, pans, skillets smooth and season with lard before use. It would help if the produced a higher quality castings that wasn't so rough.

Not sure I can go there, someone may take offense and report it :sucks:.
What's important isn't which oil ratio, it's more important to stick to the traditional dino oils and not use the new synthetic's lol.
I use the cheap stuff so it must be dead dinosaur juice.

I use the cheap stuff so it must be dead dinosaur juice.
Great for breaking saws or new CI in lol, also good to run a few tanks thru a saw every couple yrs.
I like maxima k2, some don't like it because the dye is hard to see when mixed.
@brad ruch likes it :p.
Check this scrounger out, just ran across a state highway and then stopped, then not long after I snapped the picture it ran back across, maybe youngins that didn't want to follow? Don't see many fox here, especially at 2pm, gotta get to grandma's I guess lol.
20201224_140348.jpg
Had some turkey out back today too.
20201224_115807.jpg

It is better to sand the lodge iron pots, pans, skillets smooth and season with lard before use. It would help if the produced a higher quality castings that wasn't so rough.
You sure could but they are plenty non stick as is. Even the Walmart brand cast iron that’s as rough as a cat’s tongue is perfectly non stick once you have the technique down.

Scrounged a load of ash today. Cut up a small one the wind provided, and then bucked up the rest of the one @chipper1 and I cut on around Thanksgiving.

I had to buck it up, then throw it across the creek. One chuck didn't make it. Talk about a workout. Had to carry them about 25 yards, then toss them.
323EBCA6-1F8B-4024-9756-E86B10DA4315.jpeg
Made for a decent load.

E134F82F-4D97-4F8D-9C21-ECE983E783B8.jpeg

Merry Christmas all!!

Latest posts

Back