Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MustangMike
When I was in my teens, we went up to my Uncle's farm every year to help with the bailing. His bailer did not have a kicker, so it was a lot of work.

It was a 125 acre dairy farm in West Winfield NY (not too far from Utica).

Winters were cold and windy, and I remember stories from my cousins of exiting the house from the upstairs windows if the wind drift precluded using the door.

I always loved going to the farm ... did not matter if it was to help with work, hunt woodchucks or deer, or just to visit.

These pictures are from 2004.

My Aunt and Cousin loved when we brought our Dalmation Bailey up to visit. My Aunt lived till 93, my cousin, who was my age is gone, as is the barn. My Mustang was a 2000 GT Feature Car in Zinc Yellow, only 917 were made. Only one of my 7 cousins from the farm are still alive, and her son now owns the farm.

Attachments

• 100_0139.JPG
    100_0139.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 100_0140.JPG
    100_0140.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 100_0142.JPG
    100_0142.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 100_0149.JPG
    100_0149.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 100_0143.JPG
    100_0143.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
woodchuckcanuck

woodchuckcanuck

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Ok, so it's been a while since I ordered chain for this little MS230 and the bar looks like this.

stihl-ms230-bar-info.jpg

Now, I can find 62 DL, .325, .050 chain no problem. Best price I seen so far since sitting down here 10 minutes ago is this https://www.amazon.ca/Oregon-S62X3-Pack-Saw-Chains/dp/B08S7R29SW/ref=sr_1_7 $39.15 free delivery for 3 loops. BUT, it says its for an 18" bar.

My bar identifies as a 16". I've counted the links and it is 62 (31 cutters).

What to do? Ignore the 18" reference in the listing? I figured it was a typo but other listings from other sellers same 18" as well.

OH_Varmntr

OH_Varmntr

Burner of stored sunlight
You are supposed to empty the pockets in your pants before you wash them. 🤣
That's what my wife keeps telling me! :laugh:

I did the math once years ago, shortly after we bought this house. It's the cheapest source of heat, if the wood is "free", you consider your time is worthless and you don't factor anything in for equipment cost/maintenance/ fuel etc. It's a rabbit trail I suppose.
I should really call my logging buddy amd see what he gets for a load of fire wood logs and figure it out again.
Last year for sure I spent more on providing dry wood to burn than what I could have heated the house on propane, and I pull all my wood from my 39 acres. Granted that's including the lumber I milled on my own sawmill, concrete, fasteners, steel roofing, etc...that went in to building the woodshed. If I extrapolate that out over the next few years it might pencil out though.
Oh, and my splitting axe hobby that I've recently taken on definitely doesn't help the bottom line. :chop::chop::chop:

As my grandpa used to tell my grandma when he was alive, "I could always be spending my time and money in the bars getting drunk. At least you know where I am". I miss him.

Dad and I found that inviting people that think they are tough brutes to pick up square bales in August usually tells you all you need to know
Yep! Then they complain about it being hot and proceed to take off their shirts. Bring on the chaff itch. :omg:

bob kern

bob kern

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
That's what my wife keeps telling me! :laugh:

Last year for sure I spent more on providing dry wood to burn than what I could have heated the house on propane, and I pull all my wood from my 39 acres. Granted that's including the lumber I milled on my own sawmill, concrete, fasteners, steel roofing, etc...that went in to building the woodshed. If I extrapolate that out over the next few years it might pencil out though.
Oh, and my splitting axe hobby that I've recently taken on definitely doesn't help the bottom line. :chop::chop::chop:

As my grandpa used to tell my grandma when he was alive, "I could always be spending my time and money in the bars getting drunk. At least you know where I am". I miss him.

Yep! Then they complain about it being hot and proceed to take off their shirts. Bring on the chaff itch. :omg:
Long sleeves, untucked and pants outside the boots. If you know , you know! Lol

djg james

djg james

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Started working on my second pile of Bk Locust yesterday. The first pile still has two logs, one hollow, in it and some small branches. Didn't want to deal with that ugliness yet. I'll get to that last.
Full load.
IMG_2914.JPG
Some center rot in some of the rounds (bottom left) so I couldn't stay completely away from the ugliness. Also, I had a minor fatality too. The log yard is covered in wood chips which soaks up the water making it a bit spngey. I was maneuvering around and I bumped into a pile, taking out my front license plate bracket. Oh well, ordered another one.
en't replaced it yet
Eight to 10 more logs, in the 12" to 18" dia, so I'm guessing two more loads. Going after Cherry today. A load with a couple logs was dropped off recently up front and is more at risk. That is IF the saw works.

Had the same trouble as I posted in Stihl 038 Woes thread. I have to keep pumping the throttle to get it to cut at full throttle. I took the bar off so I could open the gas cap while running. Didn't help. Thought the gas tank vent (new) was plugged. Removed the air filter thinking it was clogged, and ran it. Didn't help. So I'll play with it some more today. Already replaced fuel filter/hose, impulse hose, spark plug. Thought the cracked kill switch wire making contact with the throttle wire was the problem. Saw started running right again. I haven't replaced it yet. Just pull the spark plug boot.

While messing with the bar off, I noticed an oily mess. I ran the saw and saw oil pumping out the hole. More than I've ever seen. Original oil pump. Only ran one tank of gas through yesterday, so I check and see the oil level remaining. Usually oil left when I run out of gas.

SS396driver
Hope you have lots of chains or blades depending on what your milling with. It's some kind of hard in the long cut. jmho :cool: OT
Decided this is all going to be firewood . Having a hard time keeping the chains sharp bucking it . Using the three saw plan use one till it dulls grab the next

djg james

djg james

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Decided this is all going to be firewood . Having a hard time keeping the chains sharp bucking it . Using the three saw plan use one till it dulls grab the next
It's been so long since I cut Locust, I was wondering that too. I sharpen every tank of gas and the chips aren't nearly as large as with softer woods.