Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a bit more wood split yesterday. It was the most productive session of the season, still not felling 100%, but better.
Here's a few buckets.
20240405_143005.jpg20240405_153356.jpg20240405_170403.jpg
The boy came out with the big tractor and got the pile of locust into the woodshed. Almost ready to start on the 25/26 season as we're slowing on what's being burned here even though it's 32 this morning.
20240405_163224.jpg
Found some mulberry in there for you James.
20240405_144217.jpg

This is one of the things I had to deal withā€¦ extreme sediment coming from the water main. This was out of my hot water tank!

View attachment 1167660
How dare you steal coffee from Cracker Barrel! Might want a 4" whole house water filter. I put one in when we built. Precipitated iron and some sand.
3 Months to the date I got my Massachusetts Gun permit back. I called last week and they said it was approved. Now my Jones for a Ruger LCR in 357 magnum is calling again.

I have not seen 348 bullets (heads) for sale for quite a while, but Barnes (on their website) currently has their 250 grain bullets available.

I've never fired 250 grain bullets before (always 200 grain bullets) but since no one else is selling them, I figure I'll give these a try.

They are not fast but have a high BC for a 348 bullet (higher than the pointed 200 grain Hornaday which are NLA).

They should be perfect for bear!
I cast an RCBS 348-200-FN for that.

Didn't take these pictures to show the engraving, but if you can expand them, you can see it:

Since Matt mentioned it!

Took my 1st 3 deer with this rifle.
Very nice. My first was a doe with a 38-55 saddle ring carbine. Aperture sights are made for lever guns used in the woods and swamps.

How dare you steal coffee from Cracker Barrel! Might want a 4" whole house water filter. I put one in when we built. Precipitated iron and some sand.
3 Months to the date I got my Massachusetts Gun permit back. I called last week and they said it was approved. Now my Jones for a Ruger LCR in 357 magnum is calling again.
I put in two spin down filters with 100 and 50 micron screens. They can be back flushed. Cartridge filters would clog very fast!

Pretty much every valve in the house was ruined. Including the washing machine, faucets and toilet. I was able to disassemble and fix the dishwasher but I replaced the washer as parts werenā€™t available. They replaced the water meter too as it was torn up by the sediment. After 7 water main breaks they replaced the water main. At the same time they rerouted the flowā€¦ that change created the problem.

I still get some very fine clay sediment after rains and may add a cartridge filter to get the last of it out of my water.

When they replaced the water main I had a rock drill and hydraulic hammer in front of my house for two weeks. This as they had to move the main as the utility company had installed new gas lines on top of the old water main due to the rock. There was a cloud of dustā€¦ There were water restrictions in place at the time so I couldnā€™t wash my house! I was in a meeting with the mayor regarding city business and brought up the water main related problems. He said to go ahead and wash the house as he was sure the water board was lifting the restrictions at the next meeting. The guy who replaced the meter told me he was the one who issued violations but would have left me alone given the circumstancesā€¦ They were all reasonableā€¦ but it still has burned up a lot of my time and coffee was a bit darker then normal. šŸ˜‰

Your town needs to flush their water lines near hour house.
When it gets noticeable they come out within hours of my calls and flush the hydrant in front of my houseā€¦ itā€™s within a couple feet of my tap. They know there is a problem!

Iā€™m fond of the Smith & Wesson Air Weight J-framesā€¦ in a horse hide pocket holster. Can conceal it while wearing shorts and a tee shirtā€¦ light and doesnā€™t print.

Got around to splitting the dead pine that the neighbor delivered a while ago. ThIng 2 helped, mostly because she is the only one home today. I gave her a Buddy the elf speech about how her and I were going to spend the whole day together... she was NOT as enthused as I was about it. šŸ„³
20240406_135828.jpg
Some of the knotty pieces are going to be unholy to stack. Here's a few loads of the straighter pieces.
20240406_143113.jpg20240406_144000.jpg20240406_144713.jpg

Got around to splitting the dead pine that the neighbor delivered a while ago. ThIng 2 helped, mostly because she is the only one home today. I gave her a Buddy the elf speech about how her and I were going to spebd the whole day together... she was NOT as enthused as I was about it. šŸ„³
View attachment 1167814
Some of the knotty pieces are going to be unholy to stack. Here's a few loads of the straighter pieces.
View attachment 1167815View attachment 1167816View attachment 1167817
Those look just as big as the bucket loads I just did lol.
First one...
20240406_144734.jpg
Last one. There were a few in between.
20240406_151655.jpg
Also split another good sized bucket the boy loaded into the woodshed for next yr. All the loads he's added to the back for next year/season, have been 100% HVBL.
The girls were out in the woodshed enjoying the weather too:havingarest:.
20240406_144918.jpg

G'day fellers,

I'm all caught up now, was impressed to find at least 5 actual scrounging posts in the last 100 pages.

Sometimes when I'm on the scrounge I split everything down to size on site, other times I split to a size I can lift into the trailer or ute and split back home. Then I realised I was being silly, I've got kids to do that :dumb: . Here's an action shot, he hits the bit of wood most times.

20240312_184017.jpg

Latest posts

Back