Stihl 090 in real wood 1st time VIDEO

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7oaks

DRUGSTORE LOGGER
Reaction score
Okay in trying to get some saws ready for the four state Appalachian GTG this Saturday (June 20) I got the 090 and Contra out and ran them through some real wood for the first time.

The 090 has an old 36" bar and a new chain. I probably didn't warm it up enough before putting it into the wood which is the butt of an old red oak snag 24" at the widest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdtzKXbk5no&feature=channel_page

So let me have it! It's obviously bogging down. I looked to tune it but it must need a special tool because where the H & L adjustments are there is only a recessed access point. So what tool do I need?

Enjoy and hope we have great weather this Saturday and lots of fun. I'm heading out tomorrow morning so won't be here until Monday to reply to comments. Anybody want to come help me tune it? See you in Barnum and let's have the fun begin...

Look at the back of the carb for the mixture screws. Those HLs have two different places where they can be. If you checked the back already, then check the left side, they'll be in one of those spots. Almost looked like your rakers were a little low.

while youre tuning it, you might want to override the governer. on those older saws, the governer is usually in the carb. i know on my partner 100cc i just had to plug one of the holes, or "ports" in the carb. maybe someone will roll around here in a minute with a more accurate description.

090 has a wind vane gov like a Briggs & Scrapiron. It shuts the choke to slow the engine down. A lot of guys up here in the big timber disabled the governor. Simple to do, just unhook it from the carb. Unhooking it is about the only way to tune the hi end.

Okay in trying to get some saws ready for the four state Appalachian GTG this Saturday (June 20) I got the 090 and Contra out and ran them through some real wood for the first time.

The 090 has an old 36" bar and a new chain. I probably didn't warm it up enough before putting it into the wood which is the butt of an old red oak snag 24" at the widest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdtzKXbk5no&feature=channel_page

So let me have it! It's obviously bogging down. I looked to tune it but it must need a special tool because where the H & L adjustments are there is only a recessed access point. So what tool do I need?

Enjoy and hope we have great weather this Saturday and lots of fun. I'm heading out tomorrow morning so won't be here until Monday to reply to comments. Anybody want to come help me tune it? See you in Barnum and let's have the fun begin...

If that was my 090 I would take that carb out and do a real good cleaning, then install a new carb kit. While its out you will find the mixture screws, H and L ,should only need a slotted screwdriver to set the carb but like Artie said there are different places on the older Tillotson carbs where the screws can be found. Some have the H on the right rear, its adjustable with your fingers as it has a T style outer end and it can be adjusted while running.
The wind vane governor spring weakens with age and shuts the choke down too easily, before the saw makes decent revs, you may have to unhook it as mentioned earlier, I have actually wound the spring around an extra time and then set it on the lowest notch on the tension adjuster, that worked ok for me.

Hello Carl,

Your 090 should not be bugging down like that. My guess is that the saw is running way too rich. Just tune the carb as stated before and it should rip.
The governor shouldn't actuate once you're in the wood, so try the carb first.

regards
roland

If it were me I would just dismantle the governor all together. I did that on my Stihl 08s and it made it alot easier to tune.

You can use the choke puller to hold the wind open if you have a look under the cover you will see how.
The saw can be run in either with the wind vane operational or disabled depending on how you feel at the time!

man that saw cant get out of its own way tom trees:dizzy:

Let me try to translate your message:

It's a great saw but tuned badly. If you'd tune it the saw would show you what it could do.

Am I correct? Said with affection and appreciation of your historical knowledge. LOL

So, at the 4 state GTG Rayan4022 helped me tune my 090 and it made a world of difference. Yes it was running rich. It is now running at 7850 rpm WOT and has 140 psi which is just fine with me. The manual, which I have three different copies of, states it should run at 8000rpm. Thanks for the help Ryan and all of you for your feedback - including tomtrees.

You can use the choke puller to hold the wind open if you have a look under the cover you will see how.
The saw can be run in either with the wind vane operational or disabled depending on how you feel at the time!

If it's running 8000 without a wind vane then it's running very rich, as it should be at 11000 without the wind vane engaged, then tuned to 7500 to 8000 using the wind vane spring.

Hey Dibbs...

That addresses two problems I have with the saw. When I got it the engine shroud was broken so that it wouldn't hold the choke. I purchased a new shroud and installed the choke knob/puller the only way I could but it will not stay pulled out. Consequently it is a two person job to start if it is cold. Can you show how it is supposed to be installed so that it'll stay open until pushed back in. Additionally, if I want to control the wind vane using the choke how would I do that - push it half way in?

Thanks for the knowledge you share...

Back