Stihl Ms381 oiling issue.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trooper3911

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi just wondering if anyone could help me out. I just recently purchased a used ms831. Seems to run well, only issue is that It doesn't oil. I've taken the bar and chain off and ran it. No oil coming out of the side of the powerhead. Oil line and pick up are clean, I have also removed the oiler and tore it down. All seems to be fine, plastic gears are all good aswell. I'm just not sure what else you do or look for. If anyone has any suggestions that'd be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Hi just wondering if anyone could help me out. I just recently purchased a used ms831. Seems to run well, only issue is that It doesn't oil. I've taken the bar and chain off and ran it. No oil coming out of the side of the powerhead. Oil line and pick up are clean, I have also removed the oiler and tore it down. All seems to be fine, plastic gears are all good aswell. I'm just not sure what else you do or look for. If anyone has any suggestions that'd be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Have you tried taking the oil pump out and check for any crude or old oil gunk stuck in there? They're stingy with oil delivery in stock form, usual fix is to widen bar oil hole to increase suction

Sent from my INE-LX2r using Tapatalk

Yeah mate I've taken it apart, was quite clean inside. I'm sort of stumped with this one haha can't seem to figure it out

Having not checked the design of 381.
Bad oil valve? (very rare but it happens)
Bad oil pump? Even through it looks clean it might not run oil through it.

Just shooting here....

If you dont have any oil at the bar seat at all the oil connection is cut somewhere, perhaps the fault is in the oil line from the tank .
Try using a compressor gun in to the oil vent with the oil tank lid/cap closed, the oil vent is at the bar side above the chain adjuster.
It might be as simple as the end (suction) of the oil tube in the tank is stuck at the roof, or perhaps the oil tube in the tank is busted.

So, if the oil pump or some gasket was bad, you would get at least some oil - but it would be a lot of oil in the cluch compartement.

If you dont have any oil at the bar seat at all the oil connection is cut somewhere, perhaps the fault is in the oil line from the tank .
Try using a compressor gun in to the oil vent with the oil tank lid/cap closed, the oil vent is at the bar side above the chain adjuster.
It might be as simple as the end (suction) of the oil tube in the tank is stuck at the roof, or perhaps the oil tube in the tank is busted.

So, if the oil pump or some gasket was bad, you would get at least some oil - but it would be a lot of oil in the cluch compartement.
Thanks Mate, I will try that today once I get home

MS381?
Is that a direct relative of the ms361?
MS381 isn't showing up on my yankee sources.
I don't think they have them in North America, my oiling system is different to the parts diagram you posted, mine is the same as like an 038 or 039 magnum

The pump is not the proplem if there is no oil what so ever at the bar seat.
A problem with the oil pump would result in "poor" oiling and a lot of oil in the clutch compartement.

MS381 sold in Oz. Same family as 038 & MS380.

Same layout as 028.

I had one of the China clone 381. Never found what was different about it. Maybe a comp release. [emoji848]
381 has a side chain access tensioner and a decomp, and is rated 3,9kw versus 3,6kw.
Allso it has a double clutch needle cage, thats the same with the 038 and 880.
The 038/380/381 is just a tad more solid made than any other chainsaw in its league.

381 has a side chain access tensioner and a decomp, and is rated 3,9kw versus 3,6kw.
Allso it has a double clutch needle cage, thats the same with the 038 and 880.
The 038/380/381 is just a tad more solid made than any other chainsaw in its league.

MS380/381s aren’t sold in North America.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

With the pump off, have you verified the internal passage from pump mount on crank case is open to bar pad outlet and suction side is open to tank hose?

With the pump off You can put oil in the pump ports and turn the gear oil should move.

Latest posts

Back