Thoughts on full-chisel and semi-chisel cutters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hipastore

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Searching for some info about the different chain cutters. Here are some features I know and welcome to share other ideas !!! Thanks very much!D3FB0E95BFF5909DC87ABC2B989AA74A.jpg

Features of Full chisel:

Square-Cornered Teeth: Full-chisel cutters have a square-shaped tooth that is sharpened at a 25-degree angle, allowing for aggressive cutting performance.

Sharp Cutting Edge: The cutting edge of a full-chisel cutter is sharp and precise, making it ideal for cutting through hardwoods, frozen wood, or other tough materials.

High-Speed Cutting: Full-chisel cutters are designed for high-speed cutting, making them ideal for professional loggers or anyone who needs to cut through large amounts of wood quickly.

Maximal Vibration: Due to their square-shaped teeth, full-chisel cutters produce more vibration and kickback than other types of cutters, making operators in danger while cutting.

Prone to Dulling: Full-chisel cutters are more prone to dulling than other types of cutters due to their sharp, aggressive design. As a result, they may require more frequent sharpening or replacement.

Features of Semi-Chisel:

Round-Cornered Teeth: Semi-chisel cutters have a round-shaped tooth that is sharpened at a 30-degree angle, making them more durable and resistant to dulling than full-chisel cutters.

Slightly Rounded Cutting Edge: The cutting edge of a semi-chisel cutter is slightly rounded, which allows it to cut through both soft and hard wood with ease.

Balanced Performance: Semi-chisel cutters offer a balance of cutting speed and durability, making them suitable for a wide range of cutting tasks, from felling trees to cutting firewood.

Less Prone to Kickback: Due to their slightly rounded cutting edge, semi-chisel cutters are less prone to kickback than full-chisel cutters, which can improve operator safety.

Longer Lifespan: Semi-chisel cutters have a longer lifespan than full-chisel cutters due to their more durable design, which can save time and money on maintenance and replacement.

Good luck on this week’s Fishing Expedition!
Actually, I am going to write a blog about chain types, so I need to conclude what I know and check if those are right.

I am sorry to let you feel uncomfortable about my threads. Would you like to give me some advice? Thank you very much, sir?

Actually, I am going to write a blog about chain types, so I need to conclude what I know and check if those are right.

I am sorry to let you feel uncomfortable about my threads. Would you like to give me some advice? Thank you very much, sir?
I gave you some rock solid sound advice last week. Sell T27 head 4-5-6mm screws

On a more serious note...
Full Chisel - cuts & dulls faster.
Semi Chisel - cuts slower but holds an edge better, especially in abrasive cutting conditions.
Filing angles - determined by chain manufacturers design & cutting application.
Hard wood vs Soft wood - determined by how the depth gauges are set relative to the powerheads capability.
Aggressiveness & vibration - has more to do with rakers/ depth gauges.
Kickback - controlled/ limited by the use of "bumper" links between cutters (which were originally introduced to lower vibration)
Chain configuration (skip etc) plays a part in this also, the bigger the gap infront of a cutter the greater the potential for kickback

I actually tried full chisel for the first time yesterday. Out of the box it was a lot slower than my semi chisel that is filed to my liking. Guess I need to play with the full chisel a bit.

The stay sharp ability of Semi vs Full is greatly over stated. In reality it's minimal.
Semi also cuts like crap.
That has not been my experience, though we have very sandy soil here. If I even touch the dirt with full chisel, it's pretty much hosed. The Stihl "green" (semi-chisel?) chains can deal with a lot more in that regard. And when the chains are sharp, I don't notice that much difference in cut speed between them, except maybe in green wood, where the full chisel really screams.

Wel
That has not been my experience, though we have very sandy soil here. If I even touch the dirt with full chisel, it's pretty much hosed. The Stihl "green" (semi-chisel?) chains can deal with a lot more in that regard. And when the chains are sharp, I don't notice that much difference in cut speed between them, except maybe in green wood, where the full chisel really screams.
l noticed that the full Chisel cuts a bit faster, enough to make me want to use it and not the other. The faster the saw cuts, the better. I suppose the semi chisel will hold up a bit better to sand. So stay out of the sand .

Latest posts

Back