Tree Damage From Crop Spraying

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Received an email from the reporter after explaining why she can't be here Monday and asking her to not run the letter because I am afraid of how some might respond to it, what a huge can of worms it is, etc... I literally said I fear for my safety. But, I said she was more than welcome to come out any other time have a look at the damage and to discuss it further.

This is her reply.
Does this come across as snarky to you? :oops: It sure hit me that way.

"I’ll ask our editor to pull your letter. He’d already saved space for it.
Fortunately, we have other things to cover and feature for Earth Day that won’t risk anyone’s health :)

(she actually put a smilie face there)
I’ll cancel my appointment to come out Monday.
Thanks! And good luck with your gardens and soil.
Happy Earth Day!"

"Good luck with your gardens and soil????"
WTF?
Clueless.
Confirms I made the right decision.
Stupid idiots, Earth Day ,what the hell do you think all those chemicals are doing to the Earth?

Stupid idiots, Earth Day ,what the hell do you think all those chemicals are doing to the Earth?
That's exactly what I thought!! So, I assume you took that reply the same why I did?

Yesterdays paper there were all kinds of articles, some written by her, about the farmers market, the gardening club, and a new greenhouse for the middle school.
Yes, all positive about all the wonderful things people are doing regarding agriculture.

BUT, and it's a huge BUT, there is no mention of, or even a desire to know, what's going on right under their noses, in front of their eyes, what's destroying their environment!!

That's what makes me so angry.
Planting trees on Arbor Day and teaching children how things grow, is futile if the farmers and nurserymen are using chemicals that destroy non-target life.

Like I've said before, it's win/win/ for the growers- the chemicals the farmers use are killing the trees and the nurserymen are selling trees to replace them.
Here's the kicker though - and another boon for the nursery trade - the trees they are growing here and selling are also contaminated and doomed to an early death, which means the sooner they'll need to be replaced.

You know what it is? Planned obsolescence for life. :(
And not just for trees either.

Mailed 65 letters yesterday. Another 40 or so today. Most should be delivered on Earth Day. 👍

Good news today, sort of.

First of all the trees that were nice and green two weeks ago are maintaining their dark emerald green color and the big buckeye is loaded with flower spikes. :dancing:
The inspector, the Ag agent, and the farmer showed up this morning.
The inspector took samples, but was overall impressed with how "good" things are looking, as am I.

I finished my inventory and categorized the trees by condition. Now I need to measure them and price them for the ins. company.
I have five categories, 0=no visible damage, 1=sparse green leaves, slight curling, 2= moderate limb die-back, moderated leaf damage, 3= severe limb die-back, sparse tiny leaves, 4= Dead.
Totals:
0=22 (mostly cedar, arbs, pines)
1=45
2=24
3=24
4-22 (mostly redbud, Paulownia, mimosa, and walnut)

The #3's will likely be dead next year. The #2's might, or might not make it.

Finally :rolleyes: was able to take photos today.
2024 Yard Inspection, after field spraying

Dead mimosa
dead mimosa 1.JPG

Small dead mimosa (my neighbors mimosa is dead too)
dead mimosa 2.JPG

Dead Nandina patch
dead Nandinas.JPG

Near-dead Paulownia, dead redbud behind it
dead Paulownia and redbuds.JPG

Near-dead redbud
dead redbud.JPG

Dead walnut trees. You can see the burned-down soybean field in the background.
dead walnuts.JPG

Near-dead pecans
dying pecans.JPG

:heart:My Magnificent Buckeye! :heart:
magnificient buckeye.JPG

L to R Maple, poplars, B.Pear, cherry, dogwood. Pears are pitiful.
maples pears dogwood.JPG

Magnificent buckeye leaves and flower :heart:
No.1 buckeye flower closeup.JPG

Buckeye loaded with flower spikes!:heart:
No.1 buckeye flowers.JPG

Great color on leaves, slightly droopy though but I think they'll firm up eventually. Fingers crossed.
No.1 buckeye leaves.JPG

Buckeye No.3 got hit pretty hard, leaves were curled up tight as a cigarette a few days ago, but appear to be opening up.
No.3 buckeye.JPG

Buckeye No.3 leaves opening up
no.3buckeye.JPG

Dead Paulownia, center, dying poplar to the right
poplar dead Paulownia.JPG

Definitely were a lot of casualties.
But, the overall color of the yard is emerald green, the shade has returned, and most of all, my magnificent buckeye appears to be (knock wood), not only recovering, but thriving and loaded with flower clusters. :clap::bowdown::rock::cheers::happybanana::dancing:

Looks like I might have a bumper crop of buckeyes this year - if so, I'll be giving them away to anyone who wants a souvenir of this fiasco. 👍 👍 :yes:
You can bet my yard will be covered up with buckeye trees from here on out!

Wonderful news this morning!! :clap::happybanana:

Just got off the phone with the man in charge of the crop planting for a huge outfit in the area...
https://woodallgrain.com/

I told him I noticed the beautiful brown soil in the freshly tilled fields near me and asked him what they are doing different from the burndown fields I normally see.

Here's what he said...
Yes, they tilled that ground, no chemical spraying first. They will go back and spray an herbicide after the plants are up about 6", using less chemical.
He said it's more labor, more wear and tear on the equipment, but the ground is cleaner and they use half the chemicals and because they use less chemical the weeds will be less likely to become resistant to them.
He also said they never use Dicamba because of the gassing off issue.

I asked him if he could think of any website where I could read more on his method, or if it's something they came up with on their own. He said it's their own idea, and they are doing it on all their fields since they are seeing great results.

He also said in one field they were working, I guess when they first went back to tilling, they had people on the side of the road taking pictures because it's been 20 years or more since they saw that process. I know it's been that long since I've seen it done here. He said more and more farmers are going back to tilling, two reasons being it's better for the soil/crop and uses less chemical.

I told him who I was and why I was so interested and he understood my concerns completely.
I asked him what we can do to get all the other farmers onboard and he just chuckled and said he didn't know.

I thanked him for his time and said, "G0d bless you for doing this." :heart:

Interesting...
Someone just "liked" this post, from two years ago.
I clicked on the link and the article is gone.
When I paste the link in and do a search, only one result comes up and it's page one of this thread... doesn't even connect back to the original link I posted.
A search for this: agfax.com/2019/07/26/ pulls up page one of this thread.
A search for "herbicide drift repetitive damage plants not growing out of it" on the AGFAX web site pulls up nothing.
AGFAX pulled that article claiming "plants do not grow out of it"

However, doing a search for: "herbicide drift repetitive damage plants not growing out of it"
Pulls up several related articles.
Please bear with me while I copy/past them here for future reference - before they are made to disappear along with that first one.

But first, here's another one from AGFAX, dated two months ago
Court Rules Dicamba ‘Was Unlawfully Approved’ By EPA and Halts Use

By RHONDA BROOKS February 7, 2024
A federal court determined on Tuesday that the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) unlawfully approved dicamba for use over the top of emerged soybeans and cotton crops designed to withstand the herbicide.
The ruling by the U.S. District Court of Arizona in Tucson yesterday vacates the 2020 registrations for Monsanto (now Bayer) XtendiMax, BASF Engenia and Syngenta Tavium. EPA has not said when it will respond to the court's decision. The ruling, for now, means U.S. farmers will not be able to use dicamba for weed control this season.
In response to the court’s decision, BASF said in a formal statement, “Most soybean and cotton farmers have made seed and chemistry purchase decisions and, in some cases, are preparing to plant their 2024 crop in the coming weeks. As a result, this Order may threaten the livelihoods of soybean and cotton farmers who rely on over-the-top dicamba to control resistant weeds.”

BASF added that 40 million U.S. dicamba-tolerant soybean and cotton acres "will be directly impacted" by the court order.

In announcing its decision, the U.S. District Court of Arizona acknowledged dicamba as an effective herbicide, but said “its toxicity is not limited to weeds; it kills broadleaf plants, generally, including desirable plants, bushes, and trees. Dicamba easily moves off-field due to wind drift during spraying and is volatile, meaning it evaporates into a gas during spraying if there is a temperature inversion or even hot weather can cause it to vaporize after spraying."
The Agricultural Retailers Association (ARA) said in a statement it disagrees with the court's decision. "It removes a determination that should be made by a science-based regulatory agency to a federal court, and the timing of the decision will be extremely disruptive to ag retailers, distributors, manufacturers and farmers who made plans to use these products in 2024," said Daren Coppock, president and CEO of ARA.
Coppock added: "People have different opinions about whether OTT dicamba should be registered and used. But surely we can agree that we’re all better off – including consumers and the environment – if these decisions are made by regulators with scientific expertise during the registration review process rather than by the federal courts or activist litigators which lack that expertise."

'A Sweeping Victory'

Four organizations led the charge in court, challenging the EPA on its decision to register – and maintain the registration of – dicamba. They include: the Center for Food Safety, Center for Biological Diversity, Pesticide Action Network, and the National Family Farm Coalition. The Center for Biological Diversity deemed the court decision “a sweeping victory for family farmers and dozens of endangered plants and animals.”
In response to the court decision, Bayer said the court “…vacated the EPA’s registrations for over-the-top dicamba products based on procedural grounds, finding that the EPA ‘did not follow the FIFRA notice and comment provisions’ when it issued the registrations. We respectfully disagree with the ruling against the EPA’s registration decision, and we are assessing our next steps. We also await direction from the EPA on important actions it may take in response to the ruling. Our top priority is making sure growers have the approved products and support they need to safely and successfully grow their crops. We will keep our customers updated as we learn more from the EPA in advance of the 2024 growing season.”

ARA's Coppock is encouraging EPA and the registrants to continue the defense of science-based pesticide regulation in the federal courts by appealing the decision and requesting a stay of the decision during the appeal. "Flexibility in emergency labels and cancelation orders will be necessary to minimize chaos and economic harm in the supply chain to retailers, distributors and the farmers whom they serve," he noted.

Herbicide Drift and Drift Related Damage

Pesticide applicators are responsible for drift related damage and could face a potential lawsuit.
Updated:
December 19, 2022
Herbicide drift. It is probably not the first time you have heard of it, and it won't likely be the last. But I can assure you, that if you cause a substantial amount of drift-related damage, you may be getting a call from the Department of Agriculture, or potentially even a lawyer. It is likely that you wouldn't even know that you caused the damage until someone knocks on your door. The most important thing to remember is that you (the applicator) are responsible for pesticide drift, even if environmental conditions are the cause. And despite what you may think, it does not take much chemical to cause damage onto a nearby crop. For example, grapes can be damaged by 2,4-D at up to 100 times less than the labeled rate for controlling weeds!

Herbicide drift onto vegetable and fruit crops unfortunately occurs regularly across Pennsylvania, especially in the spring. Why? Because spring is the time of year herbicides are applied to various crops to kill newly emerged weeds; both on farms and in lawns. This also coincides with the time of year that certain crops (i.e. grapes and tomatoes) are most susceptible to herbicide damage.

Drift can occur in two ways; particle drift or vapor drift. When small spray droplets move long distances due to wind, it is called particle drift. To minimize particle drift, it is recommended to use air induction nozzles, and/or low pressure nozzles, in addition to spraying in low winds. Vapor drift is when a pesticide volatilizes or evaporates into the atmosphere and moves off site and damages non-target plants. It is suggested to use amines instead of esters in warm temperatures for this reason.

Field crops are not the only place where drift comes from. Documented drift has come from many sources; including vegetable fields, lawn care applications, right of way and industrial areas, forest weed control applications, aquatic weed applications, and even homeowner-related lawn and garden applications. Certain plants are more susceptible to herbicide drift. These include (but are not limited to) grapes, tomatoes, fruit trees, watermelons, tobacco, sweet potatoes, and certain ornamentals. In fact, some plants are up to 20 times more sensitive to 2,4-D or other auxin-related herbicides than to glyphosate.

When drift occurs, depending on the crop, damage may take several weeks to show up. Additionally, a single case of drift can effect plant growth and harvests for several years. For example, a single instance of 2,4-D drift onto a grape plant can minimize or prevent a harvest for two or three years. An applicator may be summoned to court for lost income if this happens (and it does).

The following herbicides are typically associated with increased risk for drift-related damage to non-target crops: 2,4-D, MCPA, MCPP, triclopyr, dicamba, picloram, clopyralid, aminopyralid, and quinclorac. Whether you are a crop grower, a lawn care professional, or right of way professional, you have likely used or continue to use products that contain one or more of these ingredients.

Remember that drift—especially vapor drift—can travel in excess of one mile, especially when ester products are used in warm temperatures (drift is not always caused by high winds). Be sure to read the label, and use common sense. Take note of air temperature and the formulation you are using, look at the wind speed and wind direction, and finally, understand what type of crops are nearby, especially downwind of your intended application. If there is a vineyard nearby, you should pay close attention to your product choice and environmental conditions. Speak with your local farmers, and develop a relationship with them. By taking the initiative to go through these steps, you could save yourself or company from fines, or potentially even a lawsuit.
1714757452255.png
Grape cluster showing phenoxy-herbicide damage in 2017. Every plant on several acres exhibited this symptom. You can imagine how poor the harvest will be this year, and probably next year as well. Photo: T. Delvalle, Penn State

Herbicide Damage

by Kassim Al-Khatib
Plant Sciences, University of California–Davis

Although the intent in using herbicides is to kill unwanted plants in order to enable food crops or ornamentals to thrive, sometimes the use of herbicides has the unintended consequence, when applied inappropriately, of injuring nontarget plants.
Herbicide damage on nontarget plants may cause slight to serious injury symptoms and can occasionally cause economic damage as well.

Herbicide chemistry and physical properties usually determine how herbicides interact with the biological and physical systems of the plant. Factors determining herbicide efficacy and crop safety are complex and include plant species, plant size, stage of growth, soil chemical and physical properties, soil moisture, temperature, and relative humidity. Postemergence herbicide uptake and efficacy can be affected by spray additives that enhance the performance of the herbicide but may also increase the risk of crop injury.

Herbicide symptoms vary depending on the herbicide, the rate of application, stage of growth, type of exposure, and the plant species receptor involved. In general, herbicides with the same mode of action produce similar injury symptoms, because the outward appearance of injury is a function of herbicide effect on the plant at the cellular level. Therefore, it is much easier to diagnose symptoms belonging to different herbicide modes of action than herbicides within the same modes of action. In addition, diagnosing herbicide symptoms can be difficult because herbicide symptoms may look very similar to symptoms caused by diseases, nutrient deficiencies, environmental stress, and soil compaction.

While sometimes it is not possible, by visual observation alone, to determine what particular herbicide from the same mode of action may have caused plant damage, it is possible to do so with some other modes of action. For example, there are five types of herbicide chemistry that inhibit acetolactate synthase. Herbicide chemistries, and the individual herbicides within them, may have different physicochemical properties, biological activities, weed control spectrums, soil activities and half-lives but all generally produce similar injury symptoms on nontargeted plants. On the other hand, there are 11 types of herbicide chemistries that inhibit photosynthesis; however, some of these herbicides may cause specific symptoms that can be identified. Furthermore, herbicides from the same mode of action or chemistry may cause different symptoms and injury on the same species. For example, pyridine carboxylic acid herbicide picloram causes different symptoms on cotton compared to other pyridine carboxylic acids such as clopyralid and triclopyr.

In general, annual plants that rapidly translocate herbicide are more susceptible to herbicide damage and may show more injury symptoms. Conversely, perennial plants tend to translocate herbicide slower than annual plants and are also able to dilute herbicide in larger biomass systems, resulting in less injury. In addition, perennial plants may have more ability to breakdown herbicide and recover from injury symptoms. It is not uncommon for plants affected by herbicide to recover from symptoms, even with the occurrence of considerable dieback. This is particularly true with trees and other woody plants that have the ability to store carbohydrates and also have protected meristems in dormant buds. Trees have a remarkable ability to survive and recover from herbicide injury.

Herbicides can injure foliage, shoots, flowers, and fruits. If injury is severe enough, either from one incident or repeated exposure, it may reduce yield, produce poor fruit quality, distort ornamental or nursery plants, and occasionally cause plant death. Herbicide symptoms may be visible for a few days to several years depending on the herbicide involved, plant species, stage and rate of growth, environmental and soil conditions, and cultural practices. In addition, herbicides may reduce nontarget plant vigor, increase susceptibility to disease, and shorten the life cycle of a plant. Herbicide injury to nontarget plants also may result in illegal residues on the exposed crop. In ornamental nursery plants even slight herbicide symptoms may affect the marketability of damaged plants.

Several herbicide injury symptoms, such as general and interveinal chlorosis, mottled chlorosis, yellow spotting, purpling of the leaves, necrosis, and stem dieback, may result from causes other than herbicide exposure. If herbicide damage is suspected, the progression of symptoms and the study of herbicide symptomology in its entirety are critical. Research at several universities, including the University of California, shows that many symptoms from biotic and abiotic stresses mimic some herbicide symptoms and can be difficult to distinguish for the untrained observer.

Accurately diagnosing plants that show herbicide injury symptoms is difficult. In many cases, other biotic and abiotic causes may be involved or it may be unclear what herbicides were applied. Trained researchers, however, may be able to confirm or discount the possibility of herbicide injury by examining plant symptoms, injury progression, and studying other information such as type of herbicides used and history, herbicide rates and application timing, injury patterns, plant species affected, weather data, and soil conditions. However, positive confirmation of herbicide symptoms requires lab testing of the live plant tissue and/or the soil while the chemical is still present at detectable levels. In cases investigating herbicide symptoms, it is easier to accurately diagnose these symptoms from contaminated tanks, soil carryover, misapplication, or sprayer overlapping than from herbicide drift.

Herbicide Drift​

Drift is defined as physical movement of an herbicide through air, at the time of application or soon thereafter, to any site other than that intended. The three ways herbicides may move to nontarget areas are physical spray-particle drift, vapor drift, and herbicide-contaminated soil.

Latest posts

Back