Waste motor oil as bar oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bwalker
Bar oil around here sells for $35 to $65 for 5L.
I used to use 4-5L sometimes more a day times that by 5 days that would be around $175 a week and over 7k a year! yeah I'd have to have rocks in my head to buy "Bar oil"
The cheap not Bar oils I've used over the years performed perfectly fine never a complaint always got long life out of bars.
Now day's I test run oils through my ute for 5k just to make sure it's good enough to use as Bar oil.
$35-65 for bar oil is complete insanity. I just picked up a gallon for $6 on sale.

Bob Hedgecutter

Bob Hedgecutter

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
$35-65 for bar oil is complete insanity. I just picked up a gallon for $6 on sale.

That is nothing, bar oil is cheap when you have to pay $2:65 a litre for 91 octane.
Believe me, I tried running my saws on 40:1 with used gas- the performance just isn't there! :p

North by Northwest

North by Northwest

The Great White North...Eh !
. AS Supporting Member.
With Biden's puppeteer's running the show bar oil might soon cost more than gold.

Then I'd be running drain oil
Oh come on money bags , you can't shell out $20 bucks American for a gallon of bar oil ....seriously ? You had better be chained to the chem lab for life , your dangerous ! :blob2:

Frank Chandler

Frank Chandler

ArboristSite Lurker
For me I like the dark color of use motor oil because I can see the oil splatter that lets me know the oiler is working. I also like that it's free and is a good way of putting a waste oil to one last use, because lets face it, most people do not recycle there used motor oil.
I swear by rock drill oil - check your Texaco or Chevron dealer. It’s about 40-weight in viscosity but the additives make it stick to the chain. Comes in 5-gallon buckets so it lasts a while once you spring for it.

sb47

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I swear by rock drill oil - check your Texaco or Chevron dealer. It’s about 40-weight in viscosity but the additives make it stick to the chain. Comes in 5-gallon buckets so it lasts a while once you spring for it.
I don't know what that is, besides used motor oil is free and what I have been using for many years with no issues what so ever.

arto_wa

arto_wa

ArboristSite Operative
I just drained 30 gallons of used Mobilfluid 424 hydraulic / transmission oil from a boom lift and have been wondering how to put it to some use - perhaps chainsaw bar oil is one of them?
Should probably pour in little bit of STP additive to make it sticky!

Cheers

Logging Truck.jpg

Redwoods.jpg

Redwoods.jpg

vizette

vizette

I can fix that...
. AS Supporting Member.

Huh, never heard of that, but google has. :D Learn somethin' new every day... It's about what I expected based on the name, but I don't like to assume. Thanks for the tip!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Air-Tool-Rock-Drill-Oil-5-Gallon-Pail-18L-4-75-GAL/759764021

sb47

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.

Latest posts