whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How would you even know what a “potty lift” could access or not? You have no idea what these modern machines are capable of. Same with the grcs… or giant.. or log truck.. or tractor with logging winch.

Realistically, your experience is kinda limited when I really think about it. I mean for all that flapping. Just saying.

0CB3F968-665E-4A91-93F1-625FA687D797.jpeg

Nice rack but maybe a bit over engineered?

add a 15 mil. 8'x10' tarp......https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blue-Hawk-8-ft-x-10-ft-Polyethylene-Tarp/1001029700

View attachment 940887
I won't argue about the over-engineering. Although it is 12 feet long and over 6 feet high and 3 feet deep. Also we get incredible N. winds here and this rack is facing right into the prevailing winds. So I do have concerns about the roof blowing off or the whole thing falling over. All the other spots in my yard are already taken and I didn't have much choice about the location and direction of this rack... BTW, I like your porch rack. Looks great for a location like that, protected from the elements and with a backup wall. Where did you get those brackets, and what are they called?

I just scored a job removing three white pines the cranes can’t reach. About a quarter mile from shop. Just about as high end a property as you can imagine (think famous). I’m pretty much that guy that does all the really difficult jobs nobody else can figure out.

Bartlett wanted like 10k just to take a locust much closer to the driveway than the pines. Would’ve needed a monster crane, way more than they wanted to put on the driveway. We’ll probably end up doing that one while we’re in there too, since we’ll be right by it. How we roll, baby.

I won't argue about the over-engineering. Although it is 12 feet long and over 6 feet high and 3 feet deep. Also we get incredible N. winds here and this rack is facing right into the prevailing winds. So I do have concerns about the roof blowing off or the whole thing falling over. All the other spots in my yard are already taken and I didn't have much choice about the location and direction of this rack... BTW, I like your porch rack. Looks great for a location like that, protected from the elements and with a backup wall. Where did you get those brackets, and what are they called?
I got them so long ago I cannot remember. I think a company called Tractor Supply carries them here in Ohio.

You weekend warrior chainsaw club guys might oughta get yourself a big shot and throw line and pull rope for ease and safety...and maybe a diet and or a little fitness for strenuous work like that.

Me...I am gonna run new gen Stihls only that are modded professionally. Why?...because I can afford to. Ported 661 and ported 880 couple of days ago on a $5k tree removal that took just a day and a half. No time to cut 50 cookies lol.

“Kyle… the Ripsaw is a little bit dull…” Lmao
Hahaha, I was gonna say. I always just grab another saw versus fighting something that dull.

It can be a little time consuming, but there is nothing like a hand filed saw with the rakers set aggressively. Let the saw do the work.

No potty lift access...too tight. So you would wet your panties just looking at that tree. Me...I high balled it. He got 2 other bids from top locals. Very likely he chose me even though I was higher. Happens all the time. But the fact you don't get it...and you say schit like that...is why you have no wife and fam? Just askin...
With enough access for a mini skid back there, more than likely could get a lift back there as well. The Omme is only 44” wide when folded up in transport position.

I think you should try a BMG grapple, would save you the time of choking the brush with a rope to be able to drag it out in line with the machine. Those grapple buckets are good for logs and that’s about it.

Don't get me wrong...I'm glad you got that. But really, it's just a money thing with ISA. The only buzz word they push is "certified arborist". You put board certified master arborist in an ad and people will pay less attention to it than just certified arborist. Believe me. I used to mention in ads than I have a bachelors degree in horticulture (which I do)...that's a little more (a lot more) than a BCMA. No disrespect intended. "Degreed horticulturist" gets less attention than certified arborist. So you push what sells. I'm a money fighter...not an exhibitionist. I only need 30 ceu's every three years to keep me CA. I don't need a damn one to keep my bachelors degree. Go figure.

I agree.

ISA is a cash cow for sure.
1. You pay for yearly membership
2. You pay yearly chapter dues
3. You pay for testing, certification, and recertification
4. You pay for some CEUS though many are free.
5. You pay for events
6. Some are crazy enough to pay to compete in ISA climbing competitions.

But for some reason I've continued to do it for the last 10 years! BCMA is a nice feather in the cap I suppose. For me it was a personal goal that did help me expand my knowledge base. You're right though, I'm not sure how much more work it will lead to compared to just being a certified arborist. Most of the people in my area are just looking to hire a good, affordable "tree guy."

Another goal of mine is to have two of my employees become certified arborists so I can tell customers there is a certified arborist on every job site.

I agree.

ISA is a cash cow for sure.
1. You pay for yearly membership
2. You pay yearly chapter dues
3. You pay for testing, certification, and recertification
4. You pay for some CEUS though many are free.
5. You pay for events
6. Some are crazy enough to pay to compete in ISA climbing competitions.

But for some reason I've continued to do it for the last 10 years! BCMA is a nice feather in the cap I suppose. For me it was a personal goal that did help me expand my knowledge base. You're right though, I'm not sure how much more work it will lead to compared to just being a certified arborist. Most of the people in my area are just looking to hire a good, affordable "tree guy."

Another goal of mine is to have two of my employees become certified arborists so I can tell customers there is a certified arborist on every job site.

So I assume you’re planning on getting into the whole spraying/fertilizing thing?

With enough access for a mini skid back there, more than likely could get a lift back there as well. The Omme is only 44” wide when folded up in transport position.

I think you should try a BMG grapple, would save you the time of choking the brush with a rope to be able to drag it out in line with the machine. Those grapple buckets are good for logs and that’s about it.
Yeah you could get his potty lift back there but it would be set up right in the drop area.

We got both grapples but if I just have room to carry one the BMG type grapple...can't grab much stems...can't open enough to pick up a big log and...doesn't get the log near as high to load as the grapple rake one. Bmg is really only good for grabbing big limbs or leaders.

Hahaha, I was gonna say. I always just grab another saw versus fighting something that dull.

It can be a little time consuming, but there is nothing like a hand filed saw with the rakers set aggressively. Let the saw do the work.
You only think it was dull because I said so. But it got the notch out easier than going for another saw. That stem too big for anything but 461/661/880. Only one out of 3 was a bit dull Pickles.

Treevet flexing his tree money on us! Unbelievable how much they want for a saw. Can get a saw ported for $250 from an actual good porter instead of the “ripsaw”.
Horseschit...nobody gonna get a saw ported for $250 that size. If you go to the small time guys they are backed up months and months. Ripsaw is the biggest player in the modded saw business now. They have all the new high tech equipment to do it better and quicker. But you seem like a cheapskate the way you talk about everything. I have no money worries anymore. None. I can buy or do pretty much anything I want.

Latest posts

Back