What else is there?!?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregoryb701

Reaction score
Hello all! I am my wit's end with more than one chainsaw with the same issue... any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. I've got 2 saws in my shop right now that have 100psi+ compression, spark, new spark plug, and brand new carburetor and fuel lines... but still won't fire and run! From back in my early days (about 12 years ago) I was always under the understanding that I needed compression (check), fuel (check), fire (check), and proper timing (check) and an engine WOULD run. These are not. One is the local fire departments beloved Cutter's Edge with an obsolete Tillotson carburetor so we had to put a kit in it instead of replacing the carb. The other one is a Poulan P3314.

If that weren't enough, I've got a Briggs single cylinder engine (ohv) with a brand new Nikki carb on it and it won't run either. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!

Hello all! I am my wit's end with more than one chainsaw with the same issue... any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. I've got 2 saws in my shop right now that have 100psi+ compression, spark, new spark plug, and brand new carburetor and fuel lines... but still won't fire and run! From back in my early days (about 12 years ago) I was always under the understanding that I needed compression (check), fuel (check), fire (check), and proper timing (check) and an engine WOULD run. These are not. One is the local fire departments beloved Cutter's Edge with an obsolete Tillotson carburetor so we had to put a kit in it instead of replacing the carb. The other one is a Poulan P3314.

If that weren't enough, I've got a Briggs single cylinder engine (ohv) with a brand new Nikki carb on it and it won't run either. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!

100 psi is not good enough to run a saw. How are you getting that reading ?
Pull the muffler off and have a look. Post pics and we'll have a go. Could be anything right now.

How old is the fuel? I had trouble with a Briggs and Stratton that would not start and the plug kept getting wet even though it had good spark. I ended up draining the fuel out and putting fresh fuel in and it fired on about the third pull.

100 psi is not good enough to run a saw. How are you getting that reading ?
Pull the muffler off and have a look. Post pics and we'll have a go. Could be anything right now.

Getting the reading with a standard compression tester. I'll get an exact psi and pics asap and repost.

Try some "Liquid Compression".

I put a little bit of two cycle oil "10/15 drops or so"? in the plug hole. If they run, it's a good sign of low compression.

It seems to work for me.

Don

Latest posts

Back